Shakes at 50+mph after snowstorm

Old February 15th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Shakes at 50+mph after snowstorm

This has happened to 3 friends of mine today. We had a bad ince/snow
storm in NJ yesterday and now when these cars gor over 50mph, they
start to shake. 2 are 4wd cars and 1 is front wheel drive. These cars
didn't hit anything yesterday, so it shouldn't be alignment. I just
have no clue what this could be. Our car is not garaged, so I was
wondering if it was some issue regarding ice...any help would be
appreciated. I won't be able to get this car in the shop for 4 or 5
days and would like to know what I am looking at...as well as telling
my friends the same info.

Jeff

Old February 15th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scrapper[_49_]

it's snow packed in your rims....my sons done it too but i told him he
went out and sure enough snow packed it front rims...good luck...

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 15th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 15, 12:57 pm, E Meyer > wrote:
> On 2/15/07 11:39 AM, in article
> . com,
>
> " > wrote:
> > This has happened to 3 friends of mine today. We had a bad ince/snow
> > storm in NJ yesterday and now when these cars gor over 50mph, they
> > start to shake. 2 are 4wd cars and 1 is front wheel drive. These cars
> > didn't hit anything yesterday, so it shouldn't be alignment. I just
> > have no clue what this could be. Our car is not garaged, so I was
> > wondering if it was some issue regarding ice...any help would be
> > appreciated. I won't be able to get this car in the shop for 4 or 5
> > days and would like to know what I am looking at...as well as telling
> > my friends the same info.

> > Jeff

> Likely ice buildup in the wheels throwing them off balance. Whenever it
> melts, they should return to normal.

Thanks so much for your help! I had a feeling it was something like
that. Since I do not have a garage, is there a way that I can speed
this up? Maybe a hair dryer? I don't have a lift so I can't get too
far under the car, but I would think that I can reach around behind
the wheel. It is supposed to remain in the 20's (in the single digits
at night), so I would like to help move things along. Thanks again!!

Jeff

Old February 15th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

wrote:
> On Feb 15, 12:57 pm, E Meyer > wrote:
>> On 2/15/07 11:39 AM, in article
>> . com,
>>
>> " > wrote:
>>> This has happened to 3 friends of mine today. We had a bad ince/snow
>>> storm in NJ yesterday and now when these cars gor over 50mph, they
>>> start to shake. 2 are 4wd cars and 1 is front wheel drive. These cars
>>> didn't hit anything yesterday, so it shouldn't be alignment. I just
>>> have no clue what this could be. Our car is not garaged, so I was
>>> wondering if it was some issue regarding ice...any help would be
>>> appreciated. I won't be able to get this car in the shop for 4 or 5
>>> days and would like to know what I am looking at...as well as telling
>>> my friends the same info.
>>> Jeff

>> Likely ice buildup in the wheels throwing them off balance. Whenever it
>> melts, they should return to normal.

> Thanks so much for your help! I had a feeling it was something like
> that. Since I do not have a garage, is there a way that I can speed
> this up? Maybe a hair dryer? I don't have a lift so I can't get too
> far under the car, but I would think that I can reach around behind
> the wheel. It is supposed to remain in the 20's (in the single digits
> at night), so I would like to help move things along. Thanks again!!
>
> Jeff

I use the window brush and scraper to get/scrape the worst of it off.
On one winter off road trip, our Jeep wheels got coated in ice from
creek crossings. That took a long time to chip off before we could
drive without shaking.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
Old February 15th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Feb 15, 12:39 pm, wrote:
> This has happened to 3 friends of mine today. We had a bad ince/snow
> storm in NJ yesterday and now when these cars gor over 50mph, they
> start to shake. 2 are 4wd cars and 1 is front wheel drive. These cars
> didn't hit anything yesterday, so it shouldn't be alignment. I just
> have no clue what this could be. Our car is not garaged, so I was
> wondering if it was some issue regarding ice...any help would be
> appreciated. I won't be able to get this car in the shop for 4 or 5
> days and would like to know what I am looking at...as well as telling
> my friends the same info.
>
> Jeff

As others mentioned it is likely ice built up inside a wheel. We had
the same thing happen last night.

Old February 15th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 15, 2:40 pm, "John S." > wrote:
> On Feb 15, 12:39 pm, wrote:
>
> > This has happened to 3 friends of mine today. We had a bad ince/snow
> >stormin NJ yesterday and now when these cars gor over 50mph, they
> > start to shake. 2 are 4wd cars and 1 is front wheel drive. These cars
> > didn't hit anything yesterday, so it shouldn't be alignment. I just
> > have no clue what this could be. Our car is not garaged, so I was
> > wondering if it was some issue regardingice...any help would be
> > appreciated. I won't be able to get this car in the shop for 4 or 5
> > days and would like to know what I am looking at...as well as telling
> > my friends the same info.

> >Jeff

> As others mentioned it is likelyicebuilt up inside a wheel. We had
> the same thing happen last night.

Thanks very much to all who responded...I am going out there in a few
minutes to scrape. most
importantly, my wife is no longer nervous about a big repair job!!!

Old February 15th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Borrow your wife's rolling pin if she has one and use that to knock the
ice off.Better yet,get her to do it.
cuhulin

Old February 16th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2:40 pm, "John S." > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 15, 12:39 pm, wrote:
>>

>>>This has happened to 3 friends of mine today. We had a bad ince/snow
>>>stormin NJ yesterday and now when these cars gor over 50mph, they
>>>start to shake. 2 are 4wd cars and 1 is front wheel drive. These cars
>>>didn't hit anything yesterday, so it shouldn't be alignment. I just
>>>have no clue what this could be. Our car is not garaged, so I was
>>>wondering if it was some issue regardingice...any help would be
>>>appreciated. I won't be able to get this car in the shop for 4 or 5
>>>days and would like to know what I am looking at...as well as telling
>>>my friends the same info.

>>>Jeff

>>As others mentioned it is likelyicebuilt up inside a wheel. We had
>>the same thing happen last night.

> Thanks very much to all who responded...I am going out there in a few
> minutes to scrape. most
> importantly, my wife is no longer nervous about a big repair job!!!

It'd be nice if we could get back to "deep dish" wheels like were
popular before the proliferation of FWD cars and ABS... now all the ice
builds up on the INSIDE of the wheel...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

50 car pile-up in PA as idiot americans insist on right to speed during snowstorm Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 40 February 18th 07 11:54 PM
'94 Caravan shakes Gomer Einstein Dodge 8 November 16th 05 09:14 AM
02 SC1 shakes Gif J. Peg Saturn 1 October 28th 05 06:45 PM
Shakes Princess418 VW water cooled 4 June 21st 05 07:36 AM
98 SL2 shakes when accelerating....? APRead Saturn 11 July 19th 04 02:09 PM