My experience with a Honda Civic hybrid

Old November 26th 04, 09:50 PM
Gary

People who buy them in my area, get them for the HOV lanes. A person at
work has one and I asked him about the mileage, he told me he did not care
about the mileage, be bought the car for the HOV lanes.
If not for the HOV lanes, they would not sell as good as they do now around
here (Northern VA)

Gary

news

Old November 27th 04, 12:16 AM
TWW

"muzz" > wrote in message
news
> I have read several posts about the Civic hybrid. We have had ours for
> a year now.After a thousand miles, with the a/c off, I was averaging
> 34 mpg. I took it back to the dealer and complained. They said that
> since it only had 1000 miles, the mileage figure was not what is to be
> expected, and after a good break-in (he suggested 4000 miles), we
> should be getting close to the EPA 46/48. We therefore drove the Civic
> on a 2000 mile interstate trip to get the mileage up. We averaged 40.6
> on the interstate trip. We now have almost 5000 miles on the car, and
> the last two tanks averaged 33 mpg. I think that is ridiculous. If we
> were getting 43, I would feel scammed, but good night, 33? It's
> really a crime. Can't wait to see what the dealer says when I take it
> back in a few weeks for service.
>
> I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
> that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
> without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

Interesting. Along with a Pilot and a 01 Prelude, we also have an 03 Civic
LX 4 dr 5 speed. I routinely get 36-38 on the highway with the ac on -- we
live in GA and it does get hot. Urban driving -- around 33-34. My
Prelude -- usually around 27 in mixed highway/urban but I usually run a
little harder into the VTEc -- did get 32 on a long trip last year. I run
both cars around 80 on trips.

Old November 27th 04, 12:16 AM
TWW

Old November 27th 04, 12:40 AM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
muzz > wrote:
>I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
>that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
>without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

What other cars have you driven, and what fuel economy did you get in
the other cars, compared to the EPA ratings?

Timothy J. Lee
Old November 27th 04, 12:40 AM
Timothy J. Lee

Old November 27th 04, 01:34 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

muzz wrote:

> I have read several posts about the Civic hybrid. We have had ours for
> a year now.After a thousand miles, with the a/c off, I was averaging
> 34 mpg. I took it back to the dealer and complained. They said that
> since it only had 1000 miles, the mileage figure was not what is to be
> expected, and after a good break-in (he suggested 4000 miles), we
> should be getting close to the EPA 46/48. We therefore drove the Civic
> on a 2000 mile interstate trip to get the mileage up. We averaged 40.6
> on the interstate trip. We now have almost 5000 miles on the car, and
> the last two tanks averaged 33 mpg. I think that is ridiculous. If we
> were getting 43, I would feel scammed, but good night, 33? It's
> really a crime. Can't wait to see what the dealer says when I take it
> back in a few weeks for service.
>
> I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
> that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
> without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

I'm working on a 1983 Honda Civic FE project. This car was EPA rated at
46 mpg (city) and 59 mpg (highway). Realistically, I would expect about
35 mpg (city) and maybe 45 mpg (highway).

My only new car, a 1961 VW beetle got over 50 mpg on extreme highway driving.

Soooooooooo, I'm inclined to think that this hybrid crap is a scam if
you consider the cost of the car, maintenance, and repair parts/labor.

I'll stick with the older carbureted car and depend more on the nut
behind the wheel...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old November 27th 04, 01:34 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Old November 27th 04, 04:23 AM
QDurham

>If we
>> were getting 43, I would feel scammed, but good night, 33? It's
>> really a crime.

If I may point out, on a 1200 mile Southern California desert/mountains/cities
trip -- 9,000' passes, 85 mpd freeways (cheated a bit for about 1/2 minute
slightly over 90 --was still being passed -- USI5) occasionally significant
traffic, 1990 Honda CRX, I averaged 39.9 mpg.

Quent
Old November 27th 04, 04:23 AM
QDurham

Old November 27th 04, 05:38 AM

jim beam > wrote:
> with respect, that's not surprising. the only time the hybrid comes
> into its own is in city driving. constant stop/start consumes a lot of

I've tried to correct Jim's mistaken impressions before.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3D0211E9
I don't think Jim has a hybrid, and he argued with me about fundamental
concepts of how the Honda IMA system operates.

The thread noted here as a Google reference has some postings from me.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...6a538ae&rnum=3

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, and I average 43-45 mpg.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/Honda_Mileage.htm

Freeway travel at 70 mph can get above 50, but you have to cruise.
"Keeping up with traffic" with goofy speed fluctuations on highway 680 in
the SF Bay Area, will cut severely into mileage. Traffic flow is anywhere
from 60mph to 85+. I was doing just over 80, third in a pack of cars,
when I realized a Chevy Tahoe was running up my butt. The Tahoe changed
two lanes to the right to go around me in a gap that I didn't consider
large enough to pull over into. When I did find a gap, I dropped back to
cruise-control 70mph. I could stay up with the faster traffic, but that
just eats into the mileage.

It's a little motor, 1300cc. At cruising speed, it is working comfortably,
with no hybrid assist. Power for acceleration needs to come from somewhere.
It either comes in short bursts from stored battery power, or from
overtaxing that little itty bitty engine.

I don't believe that hybrid is any sort of scam. I think it works very
well for me. I live in a rural area, and do a good bit of interstate
driving, so the idea that it is a city-only car is wrong.

My daughter has a Chevrolet Metro, which gets over 40mpg on the highway,
but she realizes that is a far different car from mine.

I also have a Ford Escape Hybrid, but I don't have enough miles on it to
comment about the city/highway mileage yet. The electric motor in it is
rated for the same horsepower as the Honda gas+IMA. Different vehicle.

--
---

MPG of Civic Hybrid SoCalMike Honda 7 December 27th 04 07:32 PM
1997 Honda Civic: Axle and Lower Ball Joint Replacement Notes Backpacker Honda 2 November 18th 04 02:52 AM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Honda Civic Overperformance Me Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:25 PM
1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM