91 Ford Explorer 4x4

Old November 23rd 04, 09:50 PM
damion

Default 91 Ford Explorer 4x4

I own a 91 explorer i want to convert to full time four wheel drive . is
this a nightmare or what want to make a fun ride for my kid on our
property .

Old November 24th 04, 02:15 AM
Carl Saiyed

I would just push the 4x4 button on the dash and leave it on all the time.
This will leave 4x4 always engaged untill the button is pushed again.

HTH.

Carl

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 24th 04, 08:41 PM
damion

91 explorer want it full time four wheel drive cause it wont engage anyway
whether it is the dash button or the electronic motor .anything i can do
in the transfer case ?

Old November 25th 04, 05:13 AM
john Q pubic

>91 explorer want it full time four wheel drive cause it wont engage anyway
>whether it is the dash button or the electronic motor .anything i can do

sure it aint the autolockers, the ones on my bro's ford scew up all the time
Old November 25th 04, 11:56 AM
damion

driverside auto-locker needs replaced but neither side engages.pulled the
plug to the elec. motor and ran a hot wire but still wont engaga either
side.

Old November 25th 04, 02:59 PM
Mike Romain

Now you know what you have to fix to get 4x4.

I don't know for sure, but I would think there are manual hubs around
that should fit. I think I have heard of folks swapping them, but maybe
that is for the GM's.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old November 25th 04, 04:42 PM
NES

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:50:26 -0500, "damion" >
wrote:

>I own a 91 explorer i want to convert to full time four wheel drive . is
>this a nightmare or what want to make a fun ride for my kid on our
>property .

If your 4WD motor wont engage, try tapping on it with a small hammer.
This fixed the one on my Bronco. If this doesn't work, you might have
to replace it.

NES
Old December 1st 04, 09:02 PM
Chris

In another post you mentioned that one side needs replacing, but boths sides
are not engaging.

I had the same problem with the truck I just bought. I put it on 4 stands,
put it in 4 wheel drive, and noted that the front wheels just "shuddered a
bit", but would not turn.

I bought a used replacement hub, put it on, and all of a sudden BOTH wheels
worked fine.

For some reason (I don't understand 4x4 enough yet to know why) having one
bad hub means that neither wheel will work. I think it might be because the
front axle acts like an open rear end (power goes to the wheel with the
least resistance, which of course would always be the one with the shot
hub).

Now, if only someone would help me to get my hubs to disengage completely
(see my post "1994 Explorer Hubs grinding / buzzing...."). I guess that's
what happens when you buy used parts.

Chris

"damion" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I own a 91 explorer i want to convert to full time four wheel drive . is
> this a nightmare or what want to make a fun ride for my kid on our
> property .

Ford Explorer Drivers Seat James Hunt 4x4 2 April 7th 04 03:05 AM
Ford Explorer tires Dan 4x4 2 February 28th 04 05:21 AM
FS 1996 Ford Explorer XLT (No. CA) John B. Parisi 4x4 0 January 4th 04 07:41 PM
Crash between a SUV and a pickup truck - Explorer vs Ford F150 zxcvar 4x4 0 December 13th 03 02:59 AM