2005 Honda Civic LX gas mileage

Old November 8th 05, 04:25 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

Default 2005 Honda Civic LX gas mileage

Kent Finnell wrote:

> First of all, it's NOT a new car, it's not even a Honda. However I've owned
> 3 Honda, among other cars. I've filled them up all the same way, other wise
> you cannot get an accurate mileage calculation.

----------------------
My gas station gives me a receipt with the VOLUME of fuel printed right
on it. I can fill my tank half-full and be way more accurate than
somebody who goes by 'tankfull' divided by mileage. Tankfull isn't a
measurement of any credibility. ie: my cousin got a big dent in his
'tank' now his gas mileage is crappy.
---------------------
> The Maker's instructions are for maker's benefit, not necessarily for the
> consumers. For what it's worth, I never spill a drop.

-------------------
I didn't say you spilled anything, but Honda says you can mess up the
EGR system by filling the canister full of liquid fuel. Aside from that
you're breaking some FIRE CODE rules, and you could spill a lot of fuel
down the municipal sewers or parkade on a hot day. That's why
manufacturers are required to tell you not to overfill. ++++++++++ Any
firefighters like to help with this point ???
-------------------
> Tell me, Curly, why did you send me private email to bitch at me? If you
> want to lecture me, do it in the group. Then I can respond in a manner that
> won't make me look some sort of wild man when I tell you to go teach your
> grandma to suck eggs.

------------------------
I must have clicked the wrong 'reply' button, sorry. My reply was in the
group too. I must have clicked on 'both'.
--------------------
> I'll be 65 by the end of the month and I don't need lectures from someone
> who calls himself "Curly Q. Links" and is probably 1/3rd my age or less.

---------------------
Whatever. I walked in half-way thru the end of the discussion . . . . .
just thought you were asking for advise about how to correctly figure
out the mileage on a Honda.

Old November 8th 05, 04:45 AM
jim beam

cinerama wrote:
> OK. Back to the gas mileage problem I'm having. Here is the list of mpg
> for each fillup by date.
>
> 9/13 - 38.7
> 9/17 - 36.6
> 9/23 - 39.3
> 9/25 - 37.1
> 10/1 - 34.7
> 10/5 - 35.5
> 10/8 - 33.0
> 10/14 - 35.2
> 10/18 - 33.3
> 10/23 - 34.0
> 10/31 - 32.2
> 11/07 - 31.5
>
> 3,600 total miles
>
> My driving is mostly highway, 60 mph, slow starts and stops.etc. The
> mpg should be higher.

you know that gas has a seasonal fluctuation of calorific value don't
you? this translates to lower mpg's as calorific value drops for the
winter. add to that the fact that the current ethanol formulations
reduce calorific value still further and suddenly you think the car's
not working right. reality is, the gasoline market's not working right.

Old November 8th 05, 05:59 AM
Pars

> I did say "virtually constant" and you missed a significant factor
> (for in-tank pumps in the Honda/Rover cars) which is that the fuel is
> sucked into the pump without being replaced by air from the outside
> thus reducing the absolute air pressure in the tank. You can verify this
> by listening for the 'whoosh' of air into the tank when you undo the
> tank's filler cap.

Intake 'whoosh'? I had the exact opposite experience, couple decades ago,
when I used to work as a gas attendant. I went to open the gas cap, the
owner of the vehicle is standing right beside me. As soon as I open the
tank, the remaining fuel burst's out and totally drenches me in gas. The
owner smirks, and says, "oops, I should have warned you about that".

Pars

Old November 8th 05, 08:54 PM

Kent Finnell > wrote:

> including 2 Hondas. I don't believe in the "evening out" theory from the

There should be some that are below reality, and some that are above
reality. Eventually, the average of the miscalculated averages should be
close to true.

If you divide the number of miles by the number of gallons that you put in,
and that number of gallons is low, because the pump clicked off too early,
then the mpg that you think you got that time should be higher than it
really is.

Occasionally, you can fill the tank the rest of the way, and get a low
calculation, but I don't know how you would consistently get a low
calculation, and never get a high calculation.

If someone is measuring "miles between fillups", where the gallons used on
those fillups isn't observed, or "days between fillups", then there is very
little connection with reality.

Tracking the number of gallons that you put in each time, whether a
"fillup" or not, and tracking the mileage, should give correct results.

--
---

Old November 9th 05, 03:46 AM
Pars

My all time low was also around 24mpg. Going flat-out from Montreal to
Boston along the i93. I did about 450km before having to gas up, doing
160km/hr up the hills/mountains and about 190km/hr on the straight or
downhill. When going up, it was common for the Pick-ups to hog the left
lane, so I had to pass them on the right (In 3rd gear and since we were both
doing about 160km/hr, they were also probably going flat-out).

I made it to Boston from Montreal in less then 3hrs. It was thee nicest
drive I've ever had, since it was in October and the leaves were turning and
there was next to no traffic (until I got into Boston...what nightmare).

Pars
98 Civic Hatch

Old December 1st 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

OK. It's been a while since I lasted posted to this thread. I think I
may have found something but, it does'nt make any sense.

I last reported on 11/7 that I drove 307 miles on 9.7 gallons = 31.5
mpg. I noticed that the tank was very full - a tiny bit of gas spilled
out. I guess you would say I topped it off, which everyone says you
should not do. Then, I fill up the car on 11/14, 480 miles and 11
gallons = 43.6 mpg. This time I did not top it off.

On 11/21, 395 miles it stopped filling at 11.7 gallons so, I decided to
top it off but what happened next was very strange. It did not click
again till about 12.5 gallons. I thought this was strange as it
normally clicks off after 1/10th of a gallon added. I turned on the gas
pump again and it went up to 13.7 or 14.? or something - sorry I
didn't mark it down. The manual says 13.2 gallons is the tank capacity
so when I went over it I thought something was strange about this gas
pump.

Today, 12/1, 496 miles on 11 gallons. Thinking back to my last fill up,
I thought I would top it off and it did what it's supposed to do, click
off at each 1/10th of a gallon. I kept adding gas, I had to start and
stop at each 1/10th of a gallon added, and go it up to 12 gallons. No
gas came out so, I probably could have topped off more but, I stopped.
496 miles at 12 gallons is 41.3 miles to the gallon.

Your probably thinking I must have been doing more highway driving when
I get the better gas mileage but I'm not. I drive about 15 (13 highway,
2 city) miles each way to work each day. If I need to go to the grocery
store or department store, they are only a mile away. On Friday and
Monday each week I drive 25 miles each way, mostly highway, to pick up
and drop off my children at school (they live with me each weekend). My
house is only a mile from any highway entrance. So, as you can see, I
drive mostly highway each week.

I'm going to keep topping off my tank, checking for when it first
clicked off and how much extra gas I pumped in before I stopped, and of
course the gas mileage.

Roland

2006 Civic mileage too low? Drew Honda 27 November 18th 05 08:45 PM
The newest Honda Civic Si george25 Honda 1 October 26th 05 12:24 AM
2005 Civic SI (Cdn) alyhirji Honda 3 April 2nd 05 04:24 AM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 04:38 PM
Bad Gas Mileage with 2005 330i BMW with Performance Package Kent Lewis BMW 26 December 10th 04 06:14 PM