Strange ongoing humming tone from 94 Accord

Old February 3rd 05, 02:38 PM
Abeness

Guess Honda makes good ****!
Old February 4th 05, 04:11 AM
R. P.

"Abeness" > wrote:
> Guess Honda makes good ****!

Beats making bad ****. ;-)
In any case, I re-read the text on that Web page I pointed out earlier
and then I checked my copy of the official Honda Service Manual of that
model and was surprised to see that there was no BLU/WHT wire there
behind the door panel at all. Then I was also confused by the seemingly
conflicting solution of the problem. First the author suggested that
the solution was the grounding of that BLU/WHT wi

"I asked him to ground that BLU/WHT wire. The locks stayed in the lock
position and stopped trying to re-lock themselves. The control unit
needed to see that lock switch input wire from the driver's door lock
actuator go to ground and when it didn't see it, the control unit kept
trying to lock the doors. When the lock input wire was grounded, the
control unit was happy and the locks stayed locked."

Then he ends up by another, more expensive solution: "The technician
solved the problem by replacing the door lock actuator."

So what am I missing here?

Rudy

Old February 7th 05, 10:44 AM
Abeness

R. P. wrote:
> In any case, I re-read the text on that Web page I pointed out earlier
> and then I checked my copy of the official Honda Service Manual of that
> model and was surprised to see that there was no BLU/WHT wire there
> behind the door panel at all. Then I was also confused by the seemingly
> conflicting solution of the problem. First the author suggested that
> the solution was the grounding of that BLU/WHT wi

<snip>
> Then he ends up by another, more expensive solution: "The technician
> solved the problem by replacing the door lock actuator."
>
> So what am I missing here?

Sorry, Rudy, I can't be sure. My own understanding from a quick read of
that post is that a ground on that wire is normally a momentary
situation that tells the actuator that the door is locked, so that it
stops trying to lock the door. Permanently grounding that wire may
therefore prevent the actuator from functioning properly under normal
conditions--it might never try to lock even when unlocked because it
thinks it's already locked due to the ground.

Since I don't have any experience with this issue, I hope someone else
will respond.
Old February 7th 05, 03:42 PM
ravelation

>Date: Wed, Jan 26, 2005, 4:01pm
>(PST+8) From:

>(Graham=A0W) wrote:

>It was the fuel tank breathing in and the
>pressure (vacuum) relief thingy caused
>the sound. Hint - almost completely
>close the back of your throat and now
>breathe in with effort - you'll get a
>similar noise!

I want to thank you for this entry. The noise my Infiniti was making
that eminated from the gas tank area appears to be what you offered up
in this thread.
When the noise occured at shut down, I opened the gas cap, heard a lot
of pressure release and the noise stopped.

Thank again for your input. It helped me figure out a noise that was
bugging the crap outta me!

Old February 8th 05, 04:50 AM
R. P.

"Abeness" > wrote:
> Sorry, Rudy, I can't be sure. My own understanding from a quick read
> of that post is that a ground on that wire is normally a momentary
> situation that tells the actuator that the door is locked, so that it
> stops trying to lock the door. Permanently grounding that wire may
> therefore prevent the actuator from functioning properly under normal
> conditions--it might never try to lock even when unlocked because it
> thinks it's already locked due to the ground.
>
> Since I don't have any experience with this issue, I hope someone else
> will respond.

That's all right. I'll talk about to my mechanic at my next
scheduled maint. visit. In the meantime I wish I could figure out how to
secure the left roof top rubber trim so the automatic car wash machine
does not tear it down every time I visit there. If anybody has any
ideas, let me know.

Rudy

Old February 8th 05, 02:14 PM
Graham W

ravelation wrote:
>> Date: Wed, Jan 26, 2005, 4:01pm
> >(PST+8) From:
>
> >(Graham W) wrote:

>> It was the fuel tank breathing in and the
> >pressure (vacuum) relief thingy caused
> >the sound. Hint - almost completely
> >close the back of your throat and now
> >breathe in with effort - you'll get a
> >similar noise!

> I want to thank you for this entry. The noise my Infiniti was making
> that eminated from the gas tank area appears to be what you offered up
> in this thread.
> When the noise occured at shut down, I opened the gas cap, heard a lot
> of pressure release and the noise stopped.
>
> Thank again for your input. It helped me figure out a noise that was
> bugging the crap outta me!

Glad it helped.

Another for the FAQ, Tegger?

Old March 22nd 05, 01:09 AM
csrbob

Thanks for the post guys I have the same problem on my 94 Accord. I
purchased a door lock control modual from my local junk yard. It did seem
to improbe the problem. However didn't fix it. The post with the blu/wht
wire was ok. Still need to focus on the wiring what ever color that is
connected on the drivers side door lock. I have connected and disconnected
the wires. I am going to follow the wires. Tomorrow. I'll look at any wires
in the driver door that are near the key lock. Thanks for the post. I'll
add more to it and will be as spacific as possible. Oh the Dealer wanted
$70 for new, $25 for junk yard modual??? csrbob