Driver arrested after being clocked at over 135 mph on Highway 520 bridge

Old May 13th 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.sport.nascar,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,seattle.politics
Dave__67

Default Driver arrested after being clocked at over 135 mph on Highway520 bridge

On May 11, 4:35*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are DEADLY PSYCHOPATHS"
> wrote:
> On May 11, 6:37*am, Dave__67 > wrote:
>

> > On May 10, 10:11*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are DEADLY PSYCHOPATHS"

> > > wrote:

> > > This monster is obviously a psychopath with no concern for the safety
> > > of others. *He should be locked up forever but the auto industry will
> > > make sure he just pays a fine so he can continue causing crashes and
> > > making the industry rich.

> > Yeah, but it was a floating bridge. Do the cops even have jurisdiction
> > on a boat?

> Hey stupid. *190 mph ain't legal nowhere nohow and noway.

Legal schmeagal. It's what you can get away with that counts.

I try to make sure I do at least 100mph every day.

Dave
Old May 13th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.sport.nascar,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,seattle.politics
N8N

On May 11, 4:35*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are DEADLY PSYCHOPATHS"
> wrote:
> On May 11, 6:37*am, Dave__67 > wrote:
>

> > On May 10, 10:11*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are DEADLY PSYCHOPATHS"

> > > wrote:

> > > This monster is obviously a psychopath with no concern for the safety
> > > of others. *He should be locked up forever but the auto industry will
> > > make sure he just pays a fine so he can continue causing crashes and
> > > making the industry rich.

> > Yeah, but it was a floating bridge. Do the cops even have jurisdiction
> > on a boat?

> Hey stupid. *190 mph ain't legal nowhere nohow and noway.

'cept in Germany, of course. Where the roads are at least as safe if
not safer than they are here.

nate
Old May 13th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.sport.nascar,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,seattle.politics
N8N

On May 11, 8:50*am, (Kenny McCormack)
wrote:
> In article >,
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are DEADLY PSYCHOPATHS > wrote:
>
> >This monster is obviously a psychopath with no concern for the safety
> >of others. *He should be locked up forever but the auto industry will
> >make sure he just pays a fine so he can continue causing crashes and
> >making the industry rich.

> s/rich/barely solvent/
>
> In case you haven't been following the news over the past 3-4 years (and
> at various other points in the last 40 years), the American auto
> industry is teetering on the brink of collapse - not exactly "rich". *If
> not for crashes and other bits of enforced recycling, the industry would
> dry up and blow away. *Basically, we have two choices:
>
> * * 1) Implement a system of recycling (so that people keep having to
> * * * * buy new cars)
> or *2) Continuous bailouts

They implemented 1) years ago. It's called "planned obsolescence" or
"building crap cars."

Personally, I wish I could still buy a late 60's Dodge Dart, but
whether that would help the auto industry or not who knows? I bought
a new car in 2002 and a used one in 2003 or 2004 and haven't bought
anything since. If I could buy a new car that I knew would last for
20 years or more with reasonable maintenance...

nate
Old May 13th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.sport.nascar,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,seattle.politics
Kenny McCormack[_2_]

In article >,
N8N > wrote:
>They implemented 1)[*] years ago. It's called "planned obsolescence" or
>"building crap cars."

Exactly. My point exactly.
[*] What I called "recycling" - that is, making sure that cars don't
last very long. I actually agree with Mr. LoonyTunes (can't remember
what acronym he actually uses) to the effect that the auto industry has
a plus interest in car crashes.

>Personally, I wish I could still buy a late 60's Dodge Dart, but
>whether that would help the auto industry or not who knows? I bought
>a new car in 2002 and a used one in 2003 or 2004 and haven't bought
>anything since. If I could buy a new car that I knew would last for
>20 years or more with reasonable maintenance...

The question really is: Can we have an economy (that is, the traditional
kind of economy that we are all used to) without having continuous recycling
of most goods? One alternative is bailouts - which boils down to having
the government support the critical industries, freeing the industries
to make quality products (and thus sell a lot less of them).

Note that other industries are affected by this general phenomemon as
well. Think about clothes. Who needs to continuously buy new clothes?
I certainly don't, and I can tell you for a fact that if more than a
few people's attitudes towards clothing was the same as mine, a major,
major part of our economy would go belly up.

Another area is computer programming. Fashion drives that as well.

--
> No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
> why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.

CLC in a nutshell.

Old May 13th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.sport.nascar,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,seattle.politics
N8N

On May 13, 9:34*am, (Kenny McCormack)
wrote:
> In article >,N8N > wrote:

> >They implemented 1)[*] years ago. *It's called "planned obsolescence" or
> >"building crap cars."

> Exactly. *My point exactly.
>
>[*] What I called "recycling" - that is, making sure that cars don't
> last very long. *I actually agree with Mr. LoonyTunes (can't remember
> what acronym he actually uses) to the effect that the auto industry has
> a plus interest in car crashes.
>
> >Personally, I wish I could still buy a late 60's Dodge Dart, but
> >whether that would help the auto industry or not who knows? *I bought
> >a new car in 2002 and a used one in 2003 or 2004 and haven't bought
> >anything since. *If I could buy a new car that I knew would last for
> >20 years or more with reasonable maintenance...

> The question really is: Can we have an economy (that is, the traditional
> kind of economy that we are all used to) without having continuous recycling
> of most goods? *One alternative is bailouts - which boils down to having
> the government support the critical industries, freeing the industries
> to make quality products (and thus sell a lot less of them).
>
> Note that other industries are affected by this general phenomemon as
> well. *Think about clothes. *Who needs to continuously buy new clothes?
> I certainly don't, and I can tell you for a fact that if more than a
> few people's attitudes towards clothing was the same as mine, a major,
> major part of our economy would go belly up.

I've been accused of having unAmerican consumption habits as well. I
tend to buy new shirts when the edges of the collars start looking
ratty. I guess it's what happens when you're raised in a Pennsylvania
family of German ancestry...

I'm personally not affluent enough that I feel that I can simply not
worry about whether or not I can afford something. Don't get me wrong
- I'm not *poor* by any means, and I'm not complaining. It's just
that when I'm considering buying something, I first think, do I *need*
this. If the answer is no, then I have to ask myself if I *want* it
badly enough to justify the cost. More often than not, the answer is
"no." (Sometimes it's "yes" though... I've recently spent several
hundred dollars on kitting out my desk; do I *need* a 25" monitor?
No, but... it kicks ass, and I have the money, and I'll likely have it
for many years to come, and I look at it every day so why the hell
not.)

As a sidebar to that, when I *do* buy something, it's generally not
the least expensive product available. I'm far more likely to buy
something that's the highest quality that I can find (or afford) thus
ensuring that I won't have to repurchase it for many years. (in the
example of the monitor above, I picked one with a built in HDTV tuner;
that way I don't have to also buy a TV for the guest bedroom. If I
need to use a computer while someone is staying in the guest bedroom,
I can always just open it up and use the built in LCD...)

I know, completely unAmerican...

nate
Old May 15th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.sport.nascar,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,seattle.politics
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

> do I *need* a 25" monitor?

Maybe not, but the first time you have to compare two documents side
by side, a whole page at a time, at a legible zoom factor, by next
morning, it starts to look like a bargain.

The economies of scale in that business have gotten pretty
spectacular, so it is less of an indulgence than one might think
anyway. My recent observation is that if a non-gamer 5 ms response
time will do, and you are okay with contrast ratio and brightness
that don't have to be expressed in scientific notation, and don't
expect much of the built-in audio, and can wait for a decent sale, you
can get two feet for $200.

A flat panel also allows all the ergonomic relief shown in the
idealized drawing from the posture police, and (in a consideration
intensely important on the West Coast) won't hurt much if it lands on
your head in an earthquake.

A 21+ inch color CRT was a real porker and took up most of a lot of
people's desk depth, especially in cubic-hell environments rather than
real offices. And it wasn't cheap. Nostalgia, n., Lat. (imag.
trans.), "the pain of what used to be ours"...

--Joe