Tranny problems

Old May 7th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Tranny problems

So it recently started doing this 'after' the clutch job or did you get
the thing like this?

Is there any fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir? If it is
low, it can cause your troubles. Sometime they leak when replaced....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 7th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I got the truck like this, the master/slave cylinders have been
replaced and refilled.

Old May 7th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

wrote:
> hydro= hydraulic, I have no idea who installed the clutch, but im
> pretty sure it is the culprit, i've read that if you overtorque the
> Pressure plate it can cause this problem.

Hmmm. It's pretty hard to overtorque the pressure plate. But I guess you could
do it if you really tried. Still, I don't see how that would keep the clutch from
releasing.
On a new clutch, it could be a lot of things. Since you didn't install it, it's
pretty hard to tell what might have been done incorrectly.
Installation of the clutch disc and pressure plate is almost idiot proof.
Almost. The pressure plate only goes on one way, hard to mess that up. The clutch
disc has a sticker on it telling you which side goes toward the engine. If you
installed the disc backwards, it probably wouldn't release all the way; so that's a
possibility.
The throw out bearing can also be installed incorrectly, and that's not too
difficult to do if you're not paying attention.

Check the hydraulics first, though. When you press in the clutch, the ram
should extend a certain amount. Your service manual should tell you how much. If it
doesn't, you'll have to follow the troubleshooting guide and find out why.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old May 7th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Ok, then you need to have someone watching the slave while you push on
the clutch pedal to see if it moves.

It could just have air in the system if it doesn't move or only moves a
little, then drops back slightly. The watcher needs to pay attention
to that.

If it's that, then it needs to be bled before going on more.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's