Evil Handling TJ

Old August 26th 05, 04:34 AM
Dean

Default Evil Handling TJ

I've got a 98 TJ with a Teraflex lift with about 30K miles on it. Lately I've
been noticing that the handling is getting down right spooky. It feels like
there is a lot of slop in the suspension and any maneuver, turning, braking,
accelerating will make the Jeep do unpredictable lane changes. Kind of like
when a Detroit Locker suddenly unloads, the only problem is I don't have a
Detroit. <lol>

I had my son rock the Jeep while I was underneath it looking for anything that
was loose or broken. The only thing I found were the control arm bushings
allowed a little bit of movement. Also I had one arm out to replace the O ring
and there was about a sixteenth of an inch of slack in the threads.

Will worn bushings cause this kind of problem? If I replace the bushings will
the slop in the control arm threads be a problem?

Tia
Dean
http://home.comcast.net/~1redcreek

I've been saving this link just for this day
http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml
Old August 26th 05, 06:32 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

On coil sprung vehicles the spooky feeling is always the track bar
bushings. You should be able to easily see the sloop at a stop turning
the steering wheel by the center and bounce it back and forth.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 26th 05, 02:34 PM
twaldron

Dean wrote:

> I've got a 98 TJ with a Teraflex lift with about 30K miles on it. Lately I've
> been noticing that the handling is getting down right spooky. It feels like
> there is a lot of slop in the suspension and any maneuver, turning, braking,
> accelerating will make the Jeep do unpredictable lane changes. Kind of like
> when a Detroit Locker suddenly unloads, the only problem is I don't have a
> Detroit. <lol>
>
> I had my son rock the Jeep while I was underneath it looking for anything that
> was loose or broken. The only thing I found were the control arm bushings
> allowed a little bit of movement. Also I had one arm out to replace the O ring
> and there was about a sixteenth of an inch of slack in the threads.
>
> Will worn bushings cause this kind of problem? If I replace the bushings will
> the slop in the control arm threads be a problem?
>
> Tia
> Dean
> http://home.comcast.net/~1redcreek
>
> I've been saving this link just for this day
> http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml

Simply rocking the Jeep will not uncover everything that is loose,
however, the forces of driving _will_ uncover anything that is 'mostly'
tight. Check EVERY bolt related to your lift job first, and torque back
to spec.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)