Out of sim-racing loop for while need video card info

Old December 10th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Out of sim-racing loop for while need video card info

Hey guys. I've been out of the sim-racing loop for several months now.
Buying my first house then having my video card, and two hard drives die
right after that kinda made my money tight, lol. Finally got my computer
working again but I'm using a friends old Radeon 9550 just so I can use
basic programs. The card I was using before it bit the dust was a 256MB ATI
Radeon 9800 Pro. I need a new AGP video card but don't know what the hot
ticket is these days. I plan on playing N2003, GTR, LFS, and I want to
purchase RFactor. Any advice? Here are my system specs:

AMD XP 2400+
Asus A7N8X Motherboard (FSB is overclocked)
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
WinXP Pro w/ Service Pack 2

---------------------
Thanks,
Aaron Markham

Old December 10th 05, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Two choices really....ATI x800GT or nVidia 6600GT. Both are about the same
price and roughly double the speed of a 9800 (assuming your CPU can keep
up)are the cards of choice unless you want to buy the premium stuff.

Old December 11th 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

While you are at it, pick up another 512 ram too. You'll not regret it.
news

Old December 11th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in message
> Two choices really....ATI x800GT or nVidia 6600GT. Both are about the
> same price and roughly double the speed of a 9800 (assuming your CPU can
> keep up)are the cards of choice unless you want to buy the premium stuff.

The 6600gt is really that fast? I have been looking at 9800 pro's for a few
months now, but had no idea the 6600gt was that fast. How does aa compare?

Old December 11th 05, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

(John Smith) wrote:

> The 6600gt is really that fast?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...vii/index.html (for AGP
cards)

Seems to show the 9800Pro:6600GT performance ratio is roughly in keeping
with the difference in price. I still think the 9800Pro is a great buy if
you're happy at 1024x768, x4fsaa. At 1280x1024 life is a bit more
complicated, and it's probably worth spending the extra.

Andrew McP