1992 miata

Old February 22nd 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

Default 1992 miata

I am thinking about buying a 1992 miata with 69K miles
on it. Anything major to look out for on this 16 year
old car ? I like it because it is yellow. He is asking
$7900 for it.

It has a clean carfax report and he is the 3rd owner.
He has replaced the radiator and hoses, brakes, water
pump and timing belt recently. It has spent it's life
in CA and AZ (no rust ?).

The car has both tops. Can I sell the hard top easily ?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old February 22nd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lynn McGuire > wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a 1992 miata with 69K miles
> on it. Anything major to look out for on this 16 year
> old car ? I like it because it is yellow. He is asking
> $7900 for it.
>
> It has a clean carfax report and he is the 3rd owner.
> He has replaced the radiator and hoses, brakes, water
> pump and timing belt recently. It has spent it's life
> in CA and AZ (no rust ?).

Where is it now? If it's in AZ take it to Mike's and have him check it
out. He may already know the car. If it's in Arizona, I may know it
also.

You know the price is very high, don't you? You'll want to check the
VIN, yellow is rare and worth something to those who like it but was it
yellow to start with or was it painted? It makes a difference...

> The car has both tops. Can I sell the hard top easily ?

Don't! Sooner or later, you'll regret it!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 22nd 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

XS11E > wrote:

> Where is it now? If it's in AZ take it to Mike's and have him
> check it out.

Oops, http://www.mikes-place.biz/

Look, they have one of those yellow ones on their home page, now!!

Old February 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

> Where is it now? If it's in AZ take it to Mike's and have him check it
> out. He may already know the car. If it's in Arizona, I may know it
> also.

Tempe. I shouldnt release this in case I do buy it but
here goes: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/561626273.html

He has pictures, it a beautiful miata.

> You know the price is very high, don't you? You'll want to check the
> VIN, yellow is rare and worth something to those who like it but was it
> yellow to start with or was it painted? It makes a difference...

Yes, the kbb.com suggests $4800. Plus $1000 for the hardtop.
I want yellow. How do you check the VIN for yellow ? I have
the VIN.

I may find a 2002 instead.

>> The car has both tops. Can I sell the hard top easily ?

> Don't! Sooner or later, you'll regret it!

Maybe true.

Lynn

Old February 23rd 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:59:45 -0600, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a 1992 miata with 69K miles on it. Anything
> major to look out for on this 16 year old car ? I like it because it is
> yellow. He is asking $7900 for it.

Seems like a lot of money, even if it is a clean yellow one with low
miles.

> It has a clean carfax report and he is the 3rd owner. He has replaced
> the radiator and hoses, brakes, water pump and timing belt recently. It
> has spent it's life in CA and AZ (no rust ?).
>
> The car has both tops. Can I sell the hard top easily ?

Just ask $5, slip it in an envelope and mail it.

They are not that hard to sell, but I guess most people would have
to repaint a yellow one. Look in the classifieds on miata.net
for typical asking prices and how long they get posted.

Also look on miata.net on the write up on buying a used miata. It
is good. (See also FAQ and garage sections.) A 1992 avoids the
crank shaft issue that makes buying a 90 or 91 a more tricky
exercise.

Leon
--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old February 23rd 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Lynn McGuire > wrote:

> How do you check the VIN for yellow ?

Mazda has a phone number where the VIN will get you all the original
info about the car. I think you can even ask for a copy of the window
sticker. Any dealer should have the number.

If the car's really clean, original, and has a fresh timing belt, it
might be worth $5500. Might be worth checking with your insurance
company on the replacement value, i.e., what they'd pay if it were
stolen.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 23rd 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lynn McGuire > wrote:

>> Where is it now? If it's in AZ take it to Mike's and have him
>> check it out. He may already know the car. If it's in Arizona,
>> I may know it also.

> Tempe. I shouldnt release this in case I do buy it but
> here goes: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/561626273.html

I do know it, but not well and I can't comment on it's condition as
I've only seen it and talked briefly to the owner.

> He has pictures, it a beautiful miata.

There's a reason Mazda dropped the yellow, most people don't like it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I don't dislike yellow but...

Old February 25th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I agree technically it's a high price but different regions of the country,
different colors of Miatas sell for more or less. I agree you should be able
to buy it for less but I think Lanny's price is more correct w/o a hardtop
included. You'll find that the tops go for between $750 (RARE), to $1000
(most often) to $1200 (not unusual at all these days). I'm thinking more
like $6,500.

I don't like the fact that the seller says 'most have 150k ~ 250k' I don't
agree with that. There still seem to be quite a few (Yellows) selling with
less than 100k and I don't remember seeing too many with over 150k.

Good luck, I don't think you'll regret it ;-)

Chris
99BBB