2008 and Premium Gas

Old February 19th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

Default 2008 and Premium Gas

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:17:07 -0700, XS11E wrote:

> John McGaw > wrote:
>
>> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>>> In article

>>> Wow! I realize you're hauling less weight around with a nearly-empty
>>> tank, but a twelve-fold increase in mileage is truly impressive.
>>>
>>> Sorry, I had to jump on this before Leon could. :-)
>>>

>> I was just waiting for someone to claim that the mileage was due to the
>> white paint job...

> What else could it be? You'll never get 390 MPG in a red Miata or a
> blue Miata or a silver Miata or.... <BSEG>

Against these attacks on my scientific credibility, I must vigorously
point out that I never claimed any 390 mpg for any white Miata. I was
referring to photon drag, and never claimed that air resistance would
be reduced by extremely large amounts. (OK, I did mention the effect
on boundary layer turbulence, but that leaves laminar resistance.)

Leon
--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old February 19th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
George Jetson

"socamb" > wrote in message
>I am considering purchasing a 2008 miata. O have a 1997 and love it. I
> noticed the 2008 miata required premium gas. Is this true. The dealer
> said it does not really require it.
>
> I will have a hard time purchasing a car that required premium gas
> these days.
>
> any thoughts the group has would be appreciated.

From the E-version of the 2008 MX-5 owner's manual.

Your Mazda will perform best with fuel listed in the table.

Fuel Octane Rating*(Anti-knock index)

Premium unleaded fuel 91 [ (R+M)/2 method] or above (96 RON or above)

* U.S. federal law requires that octane ratings be posted on gasoline
station pumps.

You may use a regular unleaded fuel with an Octane Rating from 87 to 90 (91
to 95 RON)

but this will slightly reduce performance, such as reduced engine output,
and engine

knocking.

Fuel with a rating lower than 87 octane (91 RON) could cause the emission
control system

to lose effectiveness. It could also cause engine knocking and serious
engine damage.

Jim

Old February 19th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

I was never debating better milage because of a tank being near empty.
It is just simple math, a nearly 13 gal tank (12.8) in my 2000. So on a
highway trip, easily getting 30 MPG 30 X 13 = 390, case closed. And like
I said, I plan to stop and get gas as I get near that figure.

Old February 19th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> First you told us that the car takes 32 gallons to go a mile, and
> then you said that it gets 390 miles to the gallon.
>
> It just seemed to be a fairly wide variation there. ;-)

The second time was after he painted it white.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 19th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
J Brockley[_2_]

"Jazz_Azz" > wrote in message
> On Feb 18, 7:08 am, SINNER > wrote:
>> * J Brockley wrote in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:
>>

>> > "socamb" > wrote in message
>> .
>> > ..

>> > The best way would be to try it as the ECU would compensate.
>> > In my case in a 2000 with 1600 engine my distance per tank is fairly
>> > consistant on a trip and seems to move down from 525k (328 miles) to
>> > under 500k (312 miles) with lower octane fuel.
>> > Of course this may have changed with the current model and my tests of
>> > low octane where on a lot smaller sample.

>> DAMN! If I tried to get even 312 out of my 2007 PRHT I would be using my
>> AAA membership quite a bit to bring me free gas. I have a 12 gallon tank
>> and on my best runs I get 26 MPG which would bring me to exactly 312
>> miles.
>>
>> --
>> David

> My manual says that my 2000 MX5 has nearly a 13 gal tank (12.8). And
> on highway trips, the last getting around 32 gal/mi, I usually look to
> get nearly 390 MPG, near empty. I never let it get that low, but I
> start planning on a gas stop getting close to that. Maybe I am just
> great on the gas pedal :-).

My tank fill is 38l or 9.8US gallons so I get 33.4mpg but despite being
white still doesn't match 390:-)

Old February 19th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Feb 18, 7:54 pm, pws > wrote:
> S K wrote:
> > I was never debating better milage because of a tank being near empty.
> > It is just simple math, a nearly 13 gal tank (12.8) in my 2000. So on a
> > highway trip, easily getting 30 MPG 30 X 13 = 390, case closed. And like
> > I said, I plan to stop and get gas as I get near that figure.

> It wasn't quite that simple the first time.
>
> First you told us that the car takes 32 gallons to go a mile, and then
> you said that it gets 390 miles to the gallon.
>
> It just seemed to be a fairly wide variation there. ;-)
>
> Pat

Hey what can I say, my typing fingers must be getting ahead of my
brain. Last trip to the central Calif. coast, gave me a round trip of
32 Miles per gallon. AND we came back up highway 1, from Cambria, a
real BEAUTIFUL trip. And didn't take all that much longer than the
freeway route we took down, cause once you take the offramp from 101
to get over to Cambria's coast, that road takes pert near 45 minutes
alone.
Old February 19th 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Feb 18, 10:18 pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> (S K) wrote:
>
> > I was never debating better milage because of a tank being near empty.
> > It is just simple math...

> WHOOOOSH!! (sound of joke zooming over your head)
>
> This group tends to ravage typos with ruthless glee. 390 MPG was too
> juicy to resist.
>
> Take your time, never trust a spell checker, and proofread twice before
> you click the Post button.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

LOL>Not sure about over there in MO, but here in Calif. MPG means
Miles Per Gallon>>LOL. But that was 32 MPG, 390 total tank :-).
Old February 19th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Feb 18, 10:35 pm, "J Brockley" > wrote:
> "Jazz_Azz" > wrote in message

> >> .

> >> DAMN! If I tried to get even 312 out of my 2007 PRHT I would be using my
> >> AAA membership quite a bit to bring me free gas. I have a 12 gallon tank
> >> and on my best runs I get 26 MPG which would bring me to exactly 312
> >> miles.

> >> --
> >> David

> > My manual says that my 2000 MX5 has nearly a 13 gal tank (12.8). And
> > on highway trips, the last getting around 32 gal/mi, I usually look to
> > get nearly 390 MPG, near empty. I never let it get that low, but I
> > start planning on a gas stop getting close to that. Maybe I am just
> > great on the gas pedal :-).

> My tank fill is 38l or 9.8US gallons so I get 33.4mpg but despite being
> white still doesn't match 390:-)

What year only had a 9.8 gal. tank???? Man that is a bummer :-).

Old February 20th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:35:51 +1300, J Brockley wrote:

> My tank fill is 38l or 9.8US gallons so I get 33.4mpg but despite being
> white still doesn't match 390:-)

The liter has become smaller? Is it so that we United Stateans can still
afford a 750 ml bottle of wine with the current dollar?

Leon
--
Leon Bess Bozo .)

Premium test in 2008 Accord alfred[_3_] Honda 8 February 4th 08 04:41 PM
Premium or Regular Gas ? Double Tap BMW 41 February 3rd 07 12:05 AM
Premium Gasoline [email protected] BMW 27 July 8th 06 05:44 PM
Premium Fuel? [email protected] Mazda 21 March 30th 06 11:14 AM
What is "premium diesel"? [email protected] VW water cooled 9 September 24th 04 05:29 AM