Another check engine light - how to handle this one?

Old February 16th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Another check engine light - how to handle this one?

Well my Miata is an '03 (Shinsen edition) with about 33K that I've had
since Feb '07.

Check Engine light came on 2 weeks ago. Decided to buy a code reader
(~$45) and read the alert code a few days ago, which came up as
P0455. This is "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/
no flow)." Maybe this could just be the gas cap? which wouldn't be
bad at all.

So yesterday I erased the code, turning the light off, then tightened
the gas cap really hard until it gave a click. BTW I am not sure if
this is normal, but on my car this takes a somewhat ridiculous amount
of torque, far beyond any other car I've driven. Not that I'm the
strongest guy around, but I'd wager a significant number of people,
including women or people with arthritis or other issues, could not do
it. This is why I had previously tightened it short of the click,
which worked fine for a year. I also noticed, for the first time, the
warning on the cap that says not tightening it enough can make the
light go on. All this is starting to like a borderline design flaw to
me.

Anyway, I put about 18 miles on it, and so far so good, the CE light
is still off. But I think I read somewhere that if there is a real
problem and you turn the CE light off, it may take several drives for
it to come back on.

So I'm hoping it was just the gas cap, but OTOH if it's something
bigger than that I definitely want to take care of it. I'm due to do
the emissions test soon and autocross season is coming up. If I drive
the car like five more times and the light stays off, can I assume
everything's OK?

Thanks
Eric
Old February 16th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Eric, I feel VERY confident that you've located the problem because, yes,
you are supposed to make sure that the cap clicks about 3 times or more!
I've never heard of one being as difficult as you mention yours being. You
are either incredibly weak (which I'm doubting) or your cap's defective.
This should only cost a few bucks. In fact, if you have a miata buddy
(99~05) try his cap in your car and that'll tell you right away. But you do
need to click it a few times just to be sure it's properly sealed and Miatas
are pretty picky about this.

Chris
99BBB

Old February 16th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Feb 16, 7:51 am, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> Eric, I feel VERY confident that you've located the problem because, yes,
> you are supposed to make sure that the cap clicks about 3 times or more!
> I've never heard of one being as difficult as you mention yours being. You
> are either incredibly weak (which I'm doubting) or your cap's defective.
> This should only cost a few bucks. In fact, if you have a miata buddy
> (99~05) try his cap in your car and that'll tell you right away. But you do
> need to click it a few times just to be sure it's properly sealed and Miatas
> are pretty picky about this.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> > wrote in message

> > Well my Miata is an '03 (Shinsen edition) with about 33K that I've had
> > since Feb '07.

> > Check Engine light came on 2 weeks ago. Decided to buy a code reader
> > (~$45) and read the alert code a few days ago, which came up as
> > P0455. This is "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/
> > no flow)." Maybe this could just be the gas cap? which wouldn't be
> > bad at all.

> > So yesterday I erased the code, turning the light off, then tightened
> > the gas cap really hard until it gave a click. BTW I am not sure if
> > this is normal, but on my car this takes a somewhat ridiculous amount
> > of torque, far beyond any other car I've driven. Not that I'm the
> > strongest guy around, but I'd wager a significant number of people,
> > including women or people with arthritis or other issues, could not do
> > it. This is why I had previously tightened it short of the click,
> > which worked fine for a year. I also noticed, for the first time, the
> > warning on the cap that says not tightening it enough can make the
> > light go on. All this is starting to like a borderline design flaw to
> > me.

> > Anyway, I put about 18 miles on it, and so far so good, the CE light
> > is still off. But I think I read somewhere that if there is a real
> > problem and you turn the CE light off, it may take several drives for
> > it to come back on.

> > So I'm hoping it was just the gas cap, but OTOH if it's something
> > bigger than that I definitely want to take care of it. I'm due to do
> > the emissions test soon and autocross season is coming up. If I drive
> > the car like five more times and the light stays off, can I assume
> > everything's OK?

> > Thanks
> > Eric

I have always given all my cars caps several clicks, since they
ratchet so easily. One year when having my 94 Chevy S10 P/U smogged,
the tech/owner told me that the cap failed its' test, although no
light ever came on. But the guy is real cool. He said that he just did
whatever over ride he had, telling the computer that he sold me a new
one. Then, even though he does sell much more costly ones, said that I
could just go town to Kragens or Grand Auto and get one less costly.
So I went and bought a Fram, driving by his shop on the way back,
cause he could easily check out the new one, which was fine. That was
several tests ago, and I notice that the rubber (May be plastic) seal
looks all cracked. So since my P/U is due again this coming Sept.,
I'll swing by the parts store buying another first. You'd think that
Fram would make a longer lasting product, but I guess not. Probably
made in China>LOL.
Old February 17th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

OK Eric, I have a good story about the "gas cap ". When I went to look
at the '03 LS that I now have, (a dealer used car) it was just about
what I wanted and a very good price. (winter / January / Northwest
Washington State USA ) After a short ride with the salesperson, it was
time to talk $$$$$'s. It was clear to me that this Mazda dealership
person had NO idea what a Miata was all about. after I finished with all
of the obvious things I found and had the price reduced, I pointed out
that the "check engine" light was on and that the car would need to be
run thru his shop to check it out. I told him that I had a good shop
that I could take it to and repair "what ever" needed to be fixed. I
convinced him that $600 would cover anything that they found and so a
new deal to remove $600 more from the price. I paid cash for the car on
the spot and as I left the office and went back to the car, I opened the
gas door, put two "clicks" on the gas cap, started the car and the
"light" went out. :-) I turned to the salesperson and said," Oh Gee, it
looks like it was just a gas cap that was not on correctly. Now the
light is off !" I waved goodbuy and drove off.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old February 17th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Chris, I too have a gas cap that takes two hands to tighten for a
"click" It is a 2003 LS. Very hard to make it work.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old February 17th 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thanks all! Assuming you guys are right I'll be doubly happy, cos who
wants to pay the shop $85 or whatever just to have them tell you your
cap's loose. Plus the little gizmo will probably come in handy down
the road.

And Bruce, that was devious. Surprised you didn't get a job offer
after all that ;-)
Old February 17th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:17:01 -0800, earache wrote:

> Thanks all! Assuming you guys are right I'll be doubly happy, cos who
> wants to pay the shop $85 or whatever just to have them tell you your
> cap's loose. Plus the little gizmo will probably come in handy down the
> road.
>
> And Bruce, that was devious. Surprised you didn't get a job offer after
> all that ;-)

The lack of scruples was fine. Just too much brain.

Leon
--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old February 19th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

True, true! ;-)

Chris
99BBB