89 4.2 miss

Old September 19th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 89 4.2 miss

Hi All,
I've got an '89 with the 4.2 and dreaded Carter carb. Previous owner
paid a small fortune to get is to pass local emmision tests, then
decided to sell it.

Occasionally, it would not start after a short trip. Engine would turn
over fine but no spark at the coil. Thanks to this newsgroup I ended up
changing the coil and then the ignition module. This problem seems to
have gone away... I haven't had to walk home for some time.

Now I have an intermittent miss. When it happens the tachometer drops
to zero. Vehicle act as though the ignition has been shut off.
Sometimes this will be only for a millisecond or so, and sometimes two
or three seconds. I have been looking for a loose connector, frayed
wire, shorting wire, etc. And having no luck yet. Does someone have any
suggestions on what I may have wrong?

-Dave-

97 stratus miss firing Jeff Dodge 2 January 7th 06 12:07 AM
Please help. 91 nissan maxima GXE engine miss [email protected] Technology 6 June 28th 05 04:11 PM
GM Techs....i have a grand am problem with my 3.3...slight miss scale Technology 12 February 22nd 05 01:48 AM
Follow-up: 2000 Contour miss and Check Engine Light Craig Williams Technology 1 December 31st 04 07:00 AM
2000 Contour miss and Check Engine Craig Williams Technology 3 December 21st 04 02:11 AM