Freezing Temps (92 E32 OBC question)

Old December 1st 05, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Freezing Temps (92 E32 OBC question)

When I was driving over the pass a months back, the obc pinged when it
sensed the temp was freezing outside (or so I remember it).

Today it pinged at 38 degrees F.

Do I remember wrong from a few months back, or does it somehow pick a random
temp to ping you at?

Thanks
-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old December 1st 05, 09:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Josh Assing" > wrote in message
> When I was driving over the pass a months back, the obc pinged when it
> sensed the temp was freezing outside (or so I remember it).
>
> Today it pinged at 38 degrees F.
>
> Do I remember wrong from a few months back, or does it somehow pick a
> random
> temp to ping you at?

You remember wrong.
Jim

Old December 1st 05, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

38 and below the bimmer considers the possibility for black ice, thats
the ding, and its consistant.

Old December 2nd 05, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>> Today it pinged at 38 degrees F.
>You remember wrong.

Whew. Thanks jim. do you know why they picked 38 for the warning?

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old December 2nd 05, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks corey. Maybe it was just "at freezing" the last time, and that's why I
remember it.

Cheers
-j

On 1 Dec 2005 15:16:56 -0800, "Corey Shuman" > wrote:

>38 and below the bimmer considers the possibility for black ice, thats
>the ding, and its consistant.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old December 2nd 05, 01:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Josh Assing" > wrote
>>> Today it pinged at 38 degrees F.

>>You remember wrong.

> Whew. Thanks jim. do you know why they picked 38 for the warning?

It's actually 3 degrees Celsius. There's a slight conversion bug in early
models (before '95 or so IIRC) that displays it as 38 rather than 37 F.
That's about the point where ice/frost can begin forming. There's a
little valley near me that the temp is often 5 degrees colder than my house.

FloydR

Old December 2nd 05, 01:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>It's actually 3 degrees Celsius. There's a slight conversion bug in early
>models (before '95 or so IIRC) that displays it as 38 rather than 37 F.
>That's about the point where ice/frost can begin forming. There's a
>little valley near me that the temp is often 5 degrees colder than my house.

well; no you had to go put in terms of celsius... 3 I can understand. <G>

I have a 92 -- so; there it is....

thanks
-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old December 3rd 05, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

It pings and lights the display at 38, then goes out. At 32, it pings again
and lights the display but stays on.

Old December 3rd 05, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Josh Assing" > wrote in message
>>> Today it pinged at 38 degrees F.

>>You remember wrong.

> Whew. Thanks jim. do you know why they picked 38 for the warning?

Jim is full oif ****. Sorry Jim.

The car will tell you that it's cold when the temp is 38, this temp can
result in black ice in shady places or on a bridge. The display will come on
for a few seconds then go out. If the temp continues to drop to 32, the
display will come on again (with the attendant ping), but will remain on to
remind you that there is ice outside.

Old December 4th 05, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>The car will tell you that it's cold when the temp is 38, this temp can
>result in black ice in shady places or on a bridge. The display will come on
>for a few seconds then go out. If the temp continues to drop to 32, the
>display will come on again (with the attendant ping), but will remain on to
>remind you that there is ice outside.

OK!!! So I wasn't imagining it & I did remember correctly! it was just that I
started out below 38..

Thanks Jeff!

-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---