MIKE Hunter's smaller car thesis??

Old July 5th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

Default MIKE Hunter's smaller car thesis??

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
.. .
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> The concept of communication from the president to the public is a very
>>> recent one, one I feel mirrors the rise of the entertainment industry as
>>> each is dependent on commmunication technology. Personally, I would not
>>> want a glib incompetent in the office. I acknowledge that a lot of
>>> people feel President Bush is an incompetent and that is certainly their
>>> right. But I can't recall a single accusation that he failed to clearly
>>> instruct the people who report to him, and that is the real importance
>>> of communication ability.
>>>
>>> You are aware that the overwhelming majority of quotations ascribed to
>>> politicians are fabricated, and it is to your credit you used one that
>>> wasn't.
>>>
>>> Mike

>> I wasn't aware that one was fabricated. How did you find that out?
>>

> I must be miscommunicating; "the overwhelming majority of quotations
> ascribed to
> politicians are fabricated, and it is to your credit you used one that
> wasn't." That one was not.
>
> Mike

I think I distrefelated what you said. Now I done seen it, tho.

Old July 5th 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Cathy F." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> You are aware that the overwhelming majority of quotations ascribed to
>>> politicians are fabricated, and it is to your credit you used one that
>>> wasn't.

>> With GWB, so many of his flubs have been recorded live, that I bet it'd
>> be difficult to find one that was fabricated!
>>
>> Cathy
>>
>> P.S. I'd live to trim the x-posting, but I don't know which of those ngs
>> you're posting from!
>>

> I'm in alt.autos.honda. Where are you?
>
> Snopes has only a limited selection of the verbal flubs attributed to
> GWB - it looks like they have more for Marion Barry (whom I don't support,
> but who also doesn't deserve all the spoofs gone wrong.) Ditto with John
> Kerry and everybody else who is mischaracterized:
> http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp
> You'll notice even the single misquote of this selection properly
> attributed to GWB was correct in it's original form.
>
> Still, none of them are as juicy in my opinion as the faux pas made by
> TheAirCar as they tried to translate their promo material to english: "in
> three words: the future is now. "
> http://www.theaircar.com/thecar.html
>
> Mike

"I've reminded the prime minister—the American people, Mr. Prime Minister,
over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States
and America would have a close relationship."—Washington, D.C., June 29,
2006

Video:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...60629-3.v.smil

You only need to suffer for about 40 seconds before witnessing the
stupidity.

Old July 5th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> Johnny Hageyama wrote:
>> Jeff wrote:

>>> Wow! You're learning to read minds like Mike Hunter. I just hope you are
>>> actually able to draw the correct conclusion every now and then.

>> JSB drew the correct conclusion, as anyone with even a basic
>> understanding of social norms, facial expressions, and body language
>> would have been able to do. It didn't take even a good poker player
>> to read her right, so why do you think ESP was required?

> I disagree. From what I saw, she was surprised. But, when Bush was walking
> away, she was smiling (that was best viewed on the CBS video, not the ones
> YouTube - they were too short and didn't show Bush walking away).
>
> Whether she was trying to be tactful, because she was being filmed or not
> would require a mind-reader to figure out for sure. JBS, IMHO, doesn't
> qualify.
>
> I have never suggested Bush's behavior was appropriate.

You most certainly did.

Now, I'd like to know where your wife works. I want to walk up to her and
touch her, just to see what happens. I'm sure that's OK with you.

Old July 5th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

" dbu,." > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> larry moe 'n curly > wrote:
>
> I think moe n curly is a pot head. Prove me wrong moe n curly.

Give us one example of how he might prove you wrong. You can't.

Old July 5th 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Jeff[_3_]

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> Johnny Hageyama wrote:

>>> JSB drew the correct conclusion, as anyone with even a basic
>>> understanding of social norms, facial expressions, and body language
>>> would have been able to do. It didn't take even a good poker player
>>> to read her right, so why do you think ESP was required?

>> I disagree. From what I saw, she was surprised. But, when Bush was walking
>> away, she was smiling (that was best viewed on the CBS video, not the ones
>> YouTube - they were too short and didn't show Bush walking away).
>>
>> Whether she was trying to be tactful, because she was being filmed or not
>> would require a mind-reader to figure out for sure. JBS, IMHO, doesn't
>> qualify.
>>
>> I have never suggested Bush's behavior was appropriate.

> You most certainly did.
>
> Now, I'd like to know where your wife works. I want to walk up to her and
> touch her, just to see what happens. I'm sure that's OK with you.

Where did I suggest that it was appropriate?

I said it may have been innocent. Innocent is not the same as appropriate.

JEff
Old July 5th 07, 04:56 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
JoeSpareBedroom

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Jeff" > wrote in message

>>> I disagree. From what I saw, she was surprised. But, when Bush was
>>> walking away, she was smiling (that was best viewed on the CBS video,
>>> not the ones YouTube - they were too short and didn't show Bush walking
>>> away).
>>>
>>> Whether she was trying to be tactful, because she was being filmed or
>>> not would require a mind-reader to figure out for sure. JBS, IMHO,
>>> doesn't qualify.
>>>
>>> I have never suggested Bush's behavior was appropriate.

>> You most certainly did.
>>
>> Now, I'd like to know where your wife works. I want to walk up to her and
>> touch her, just to see what happens. I'm sure that's OK with you.

> Where did I suggest that it was appropriate?
>
> I said it may have been innocent. Innocent is not the same as appropriate.
>
> JEff

Innocent, like a 3 year old child who's not yet familiar with societal
norms?

And...your wife. Where does she work. I want to touch her.

Old July 5th 07, 05:48 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Joe LaVigne

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> " dbu,." > wrote in message
>> In article . com>,
>> larry moe 'n curly > wrote:
>>
>> I think moe n curly is a pot head. Prove me wrong moe n curly.

> Give us one example of how he might prove you wrong. You can't.

Probably the same way that someone could prove that Bush has been clean and
sober for quite a while now.

moe n curly made the assertion that Bush was drunk, it is up to him to prove
it. You cannot prove a negative.

Old July 5th 07, 01:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> "I've reminded the prime minister-the American people, Mr. Prime Minister,
> over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States
> and America would have a close relationship."-Washington, D.C., June 29,
> 2006
>
> Video:
> http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...60629-3.v.smil
>
> You only need to suffer for about 40 seconds before witnessing the
> stupidity.

It is a mistake to confuse inarticulateness with stupidity. I, too, wish I
could speak like Winston Churchill did but it ain't gonna happen. On the
flip side, riveting oration does not guarantee fitness. Adolph Hitler was a
stunning orator and a brilliant tactician - give the devil his due - but
there was a smoking crater where his humanity should have been. Or, as Bill
Watterson observed about his comic creation Calvin, "I prize his ability to
precisely articulate stupid ideas."

It's a wonder any of us can speak our thoughts at all. Consider it; we have
abstract thought patterns often unlike anything in the natural world (this
subject is a good example). Those thoughts have to be framed in a language
as abstruse as English, given reasonable syntax, and then translated into a
coordinated muscular action that forms recognizable words from movements of
the diaphragm, larynx, throat, soft palate, tongue, jaw and lips. There
isn't even time to "proofhear" what we are going to say.

Somebody once pointed out that communication must have the power to shock.
Saying "it is cold today" to somebody who is sharing the weather is
pointless; it conveys nothing. Saying "Our tears give God his power" is
profound, but it was scripted (South Park, 'Cartmanland.') It is no surprise
the most profound ideas are written before they are spoken because
epiphanies are not normally verbal in character. We do not speak of the
importance of speeches as much as we do the importance of writings, and not
only because speech is ephemeral. Lincoln's 'Gettysburg Address' and
Hitler's 'Night and Fog' speeches are remembered not for their profound
content but for the emotional effect they had and for the actions that grew
from each. For all that, each of those was scripted.

Or, as I would have put it in person, "You see, um, I think - or I would
think - you, or we, should, um...."

Mike

Old July 5th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> Johnny Hageyama wrote:

>>> JSB drew the correct conclusion, as anyone with even a basic
>>> understanding of social norms, facial expressions, and body language
>>> would have been able to do. It didn't take even a good poker player
>>> to read her right, so why do you think ESP was required?

>> I disagree. From what I saw, she was surprised. But, when Bush was
>> walking away, she was smiling (that was best viewed on the CBS video, not
>> the ones YouTube - they were too short and didn't show Bush walking
>> away).
>>
>> Whether she was trying to be tactful, because she was being filmed or not
>> would require a mind-reader to figure out for sure. JBS, IMHO, doesn't
>> qualify.
>>
>> I have never suggested Bush's behavior was appropriate.

> You most certainly did.
>
> Now, I'd like to know where your wife works. I want to walk up to her and
> touch her, just to see what happens. I'm sure that's OK with you.

Funny - that happened to me. I suffer from PTSD and have only slowly
adjusted to being touched at all. Last year I was working inside a truck and
a co-worker came up behind me and poked me in the side. My reaction brought
HR into the picture. The response from the female HR representative:
touching in itself is permitted with the "bathing suit" restrictions unless
and until the party being touched objects. (I have trouble adjusting to
being hugged but I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings by objecting after
it already happened.) I work for a Fortune 500 company in the US so I would
expect this to be pretty mainstream.

We may have personal standards that differ. As far as my wife goes, I would
not object to somebody rubbing her shoulders in a public setting unless she
gave me a look to make it stop. It really isn't a big deal to her - it's
just part of her world. She's a hugger; I am not. BTW - my wife works in a
nursing home. Patients' family members and co-workers hug her all the time.
It would drive me crazy... and not just the hugging part.

Mike

Old July 5th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> And...your wife. Where does she work. I want to touch her.

Now that's just weird. People at work touch her all the time (nurses can't
work without touching and being touched) but there is context to consider.
Touching usually indicates purpose or familiarity - you lack familiarity and
your purpose would be... ah, suspect.

Mike

Mike

Is anyone using a smaller steering wheel in a C3 ? dave Corvette 1 March 31st 05 04:13 PM
Smaller Wheels CobraJet Ford Mustang 17 February 17th 05 04:35 AM
4WD smaller vehicle choices Dan Birchall 4x4 2 August 11th 04 08:24 PM