156 Windscreen washer problems

Old February 5th 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 156 Windscreen washer problems

I have tried to search on google for this problem, but google seems to be
having problems too, so apologies if this is a well posted problem.
I have a 156 registered in 2000. It has headlamp washers. When I try to
wash the screen I can hear the motor but there is no water from the jets.
If I turn on headlamps there is no water to them either. When I disconnect
the motor to the windscreen jets and try the headlamp ones there is no
sound. If anyone has experience of this fault I would appreciate some help.

Cheers
Michael

Old February 5th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Having now read the similar earlier post....................if I switch the
electrical connections over from the windscreen pump and the headlamp pump I
get water at the headlamps and nothing at the windscreen, and the windscreen
pump does not operate.....................help. If the headlamp pump is
separately fused then I can't find it. Any ideas.

Old February 5th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Fuse to washer pump is behind the top of the glove box ... don't ask me why!
There's a small hatch to see through, but it's nigh-on impossible to get
replace most of them up there!!

Gazza

Old February 5th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

I have checked all the fuses in the glove box except a yellow 20 amp one
which is in the top left hand corner, I cannot reach it; any idea if that is
the one? I got the windscreen wash going. It was the T piece which
connects all 3 pipes and is under the cover below the windscreen. Replaced
it with a universal connector from Halfords. Must have been clogged,
although the nearside washer is just trickling for some reason, but that is
tomorrow's problem.

Old February 8th 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Mitch" > wrote in message
>I have tried to search on google for this problem, but google seems to be
>having problems too, so apologies if this is a well posted problem.
> I have a 156 registered in 2000. It has headlamp washers. When I try to
> wash the screen I can hear the motor but there is no water from the jets.
> If I turn on headlamps there is no water to them either. When I
> disconnect the motor to the windscreen jets and try the headlamp ones
> there is no sound. If anyone has experience of this fault I would
> appreciate some help.
>
> Cheers
> Michael

I had this problem recently on my 156 2.0l year 2000. both my screen washers
and headlight washers failed. The headlamp washers had probably failed long
before I noticed them not working when checking the screen washers.

The headlamp washers turned out to be the fuse. To prove that it's not the
pump; swap the connectors from the screen pump onto the headlamp pump; they
should then work. Replace the fuse.

I replaced the pump in an attempt to fix my screen washers. It was making a
noise but no liquid came out of the jets. The Alfa/Fiat pump cost me £22 and
turned out to be unnecessary. The real cause of the problem was the "T"
piece that splits the flow to the two jets. Like most things Alfa it's a bit
unusual. It has a rubber diaphram inside and this had distorted or perished
and wasn't letting any liquid through.Removing the rubber bit didn't make it
work either

I couldn't get an Alfa replacement as it was Christmas holidays and
everywhere was closed. I replaced it with bog standard plastic "T" piece
from the local car shop and it works fine.

On mine the fuse for the headlamp washer pump is in the fuse box behind the
trim panel by your right knee.

mike

Old February 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Mitch" > wrote in message
>I have checked all the fuses in the glove box except a yellow 20 amp one
>which is in the top left hand corner, I cannot reach it; any idea if that
>is the one? I got the windscreen wash going. It was the T piece which
>connects all 3 pipes and is under the cover below the windscreen. Replaced
>it with a universal connector from Halfords. Must have been clogged,
>although the nearside washer is just trickling for some reason, but that is
>tomorrow's problem.
>

> "gazza82" > wrote in message
>> Fuse to washer pump is behind the top of the glove box ... don't ask me
>> why!
>> There's a small hatch to see through, but it's nigh-on impossible to get
>> replace most of them up there!!
>>
>> Gazza
>>

>> "Mitch" > wrote in message
>>> Having now read the similar earlier post....................if I switch

>> the
>>> electrical connections over from the windscreen pump and the headlamp
>>> pump

>>> get water at the headlamps and nothing at the windscreen, and the

>> windscreen
>>> pump does not operate.....................help. If the headlamp pump is
>>> separately fused then I can't find it. Any ideas.

>> jets.

Most of my previous post is irrelevant as I didn't read the replies already
posted. I think I'm half asleep. Also, the fuse is in the glove box and not
behind the dash panel as I found eventually. I hope you succeeded in fixing
it.

mike