Saving my (expensive) clutch.

Old December 22nd 05, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Saving my (expensive) clutch.

Jim Yanik wrote:

> I'm not too sure about using the HB for slowing to avoid speeding tix,

It does work to a certain extent. I tend to use this technique in VA in
order to minimize the risk of a police officer pulling me over on the
suspicion of using a RD. It doesn't take that long to reduce my speed
by 10 mph or so.

> making the rear slide out except on dirt(road rallies) and slick
> surfaces(ice,snow,wet pavement),as you don't get a lot of braking force
> with it.

I'd be hard pressed to lock up the rear wheels at speed on dry pavement
with the hand brake.
Old December 22nd 05, 08:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Jim Yanik wrote:

> "Harry K" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >> says...

> >> Handbrake?? What if your car has a footbrake? I've done fine just
> >> using the regular brake and some quick foot action.
> >> --------------
> >> Alex

> > Same here. I can't recall when I last saw a car other than the sport
> > types with a real handbrake. I always wonder about that when this
> > subject comes up and also when people talk about using the handbrake
> > to slow down so a cop doesn't see the brake light or using it to make
> > the rear slide out in cornering.
> >
> > Harry K
> >

> What kind of cars have you guys been driving?
> Every Honda/Acura I've owned has had a handbrake,and I believe other
> "foreign" makes have them,too,sport or plain old sedans.
>
> Of course,I suspect the American brands still don't have handbrakes.
> Those are just parking brakes,useless for anything else.
>
> (what do you guys call "real" handbrakes?)
>
> I'm not too sure about using the HB for slowing to avoid speeding tix,or
> making the rear slide out except on dirt(road rallies) and slick
> surfaces(ice,snow,wet pavement),as you don't get a lot of braking force
> with it.

It'll spin the car though.

See 'handbrake turn'.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature...g/index-4.html

I know you Yanks are a bit dumb about this stuff and especially Jim Yanik in
particular.

Graham

Old December 22nd 05, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Larry Bud wrote:

> Don't you guys know how to do the two foot tango with 3 pedals?
>
> Left foot goes on clutch AND brake, right foot on accelerator.

I don't know what model car you drive, but I've never driven a model
where the clutch (held down to the floor) and brake pedal are close
enough to do that with one foot.

> Give it a little gas as you normally would when starting and you don't roll back.

I can do this even up a 10 percent grade if I so desired, but I just
use the hand brake. This is because my routine is to engage the
handbrake when stopped at traffic lights and leave my foot off the main
brake (it saves the drivers behind me from the glare of my brake lamps).

Old December 23rd 05, 08:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Jim Yanik wrote:

> "Harry K" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >> says...

> >> Handbrake?? What if your car has a footbrake? I've done fine just
> >> using the regular brake and some quick foot action.
> >> --------------
> >> Alex

> > Same here. I can't recall when I last saw a car other than the sport
> > types with a real handbrake. I always wonder about that when this
> > subject comes up and also when people talk about using the handbrake
> > to slow down so a cop doesn't see the brake light or using it to make
> > the rear slide out in cornering.
> >
> > Harry K
> >

> What kind of cars have you guys been driving?
> Every Honda/Acura I've owned has had a handbrake,and I believe other
> "foreign" makes have them,too,sport or plain old sedans.
>
> Of course,I suspect the American brands still don't have handbrakes.
> Those are just parking brakes,useless for anything else.
>
> (what do you guys call "real" handbrakes?)
>
> I'm not too sure about using the HB for slowing to avoid speeding tix,or
> making the rear slide out except on dirt(road rallies) and slick
> surfaces(ice,snow,wet pavement),as you don't get a lot of braking force
> with it.

NO.

Learn how to REALLY drive a manual transmission; then get back to us.

Old December 23rd 05, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> > Don't you guys know how to do the two foot tango with 3 pedals?
> >
> > Left foot goes on clutch AND brake, right foot on accelerator.

> I don't know what model car you drive, but I've never driven a model
> where the clutch (held down to the floor) and brake pedal are close
> enough to do that with one foot.

My '86 Vette, but I've done it in other vehicles.

Sickness! Clutch pedal disaster [email protected] 4x4 2 December 2nd 12 08:02 PM
What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 02:33 AM
Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 13th 05 11:40 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM