Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

Old December 18th 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

John S. wrote:

> The technology is already available and in use. Cell signals can and
> are electronically blocked - you can buy the device on the net. Why do
> you think cell signals disappear the moment you walk in the hospital
> front door.
>
> Actually I think it is unfortunately necessary since some people are
> rude enough to not turn their cell phones and blackberries off during a
> movie.

Cell phone signals can also interfere with machinery that the hospital
uses to monitor as well as administer medication and/or ventilation to
patients.
Old December 18th 05, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Block Cell Phones In Drive-In Theaters?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:12:27 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:28 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
>>One group wants to do this - theater owners.
>>
>>http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?St...7-074635-6362r

>I am having difficulty seeing the relation to driving

<Subject line edited>

'Zat better?

Old December 18th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> Ours shows 20 minutes of various stuff, mostly ads, that they call
> "the 20", before the previews start.

They even have a cutesy name for them? Golly, how nice.

> Here, they're avoidable. OTOH, they're _better_ than a blank screen
> before the previews start, as the ads are often fairly clever.

It's the damn "previews" which I'm speaking of in regards to advertisements.
So now they're showing advertisements before advertisements???

People are turning to class A sheep. Eff theatres.

Old December 19th 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"JohnH" > wrote in message

> > Ours shows 20 minutes of various stuff, mostly ads, that they call
> > "the 20", before the previews start.

> They even have a cutesy name for them? Golly, how nice.

Yep, that's true. "The Twenty" is the name of the pre-movie
trailers/pre-movie advertising programming done by the Regal Cinemas entity
(Regal, Edwards, United Artists).

[snip...]

Old December 19th 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote in message
. ..
> "JohnH" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Ours shows 20 minutes of various stuff, mostly ads, that they call
> > > "the 20", before the previews start.

> > They even have a cutesy name for them? Golly, how nice.
> >

> Yep, that's true. "The Twenty" is the name of the pre-movie
> trailers/pre-movie advertising programming done by the Regal Cinemas

entity
> (Regal, Edwards, United Artists).
>
> [snip...]

More accurately, for those theaters that may not show trailers, "The Twenty"
would be run before the actual movie. For those theaters that do show
trailers, "The Twenty" would be shown before the trailers.

Either way, getting there before the movie start time either gets "The
Twenty" or "The Twenty" plus trailers--before the movie actually begins.

Old December 19th 05, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:28 GMT:
> I talk to people that cite people blabbing on cell
> phones as one reason they don't come to the theater.
> Is it the real reason, or is it a case of "Any excuse
> is a good excuse" for something they don't want to
> do any more anyway, for some other reason like price.

The main reason I stay out of theatres is the blatent price gouging they
do once you get into the theater at the concession stand. That and that
(IMO) most movies are either trailer trash garbage or leftist
propaganda. Idiots on cellphones is usually not a consideration since
I'm not in he theater anyways. For the few and far between movie worth
my time, there is always PPV or DVD.

--

"Take for example when you go to the movies these days, you know.
They try to sell you this jumbo drink, 8 extra ounces of watered
Old December 19th 05, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Around 12/18/2005 12:12 PM, DTJ wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:28 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>

>>One group wants to do this - theater owners.
>>
>>http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?St...7-074635-6362r

> I am having difficulty seeing the relation to driving, unless they
> only ban them when The Fast and the Furious is playing.

For that matter, I am having difficulty seeing the relation "The Fast
and the Furious" has to driving...

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old December 19th 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:33:31 -0500, necromancer > wrote:

>Dave Head, > was motivated to say this in
>rec.autos.driving on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:28 GMT:
>> I talk to people that cite people blabbing on cell
>> phones as one reason they don't come to the theater.
>> Is it the real reason, or is it a case of "Any excuse
>> is a good excuse" for something they don't want to
>> do any more anyway, for some other reason like price.

>The main reason I stay out of theatres is the blatent price gouging they
>do once you get into the theater at the concession stand. That and that
>(IMO) most movies are either trailer trash garbage or leftist
>propaganda. Idiots on cellphones is usually not a consideration since
>I'm not in he theater anyways. For the few and far between movie worth
>my time, there is always PPV or DVD.

Hmmm... leftist propaganda I think I'd notice.

The last big leftist propaganda that I recall was the blatant bashing of the
NRA and therefore the 2nd Amendment in the Lethal Weapon series, although the
injection of gay everything into the movies lately, The Family Stone being the
latest excursion, seems to be some propaganda, too. I won't be seeing
Brokeback Mountain, I think, as I want to see mostly some action flick if its a
western, like maybe "Open Range", and not a love story of _any_ kind.

Dave Head

Old December 19th 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > Dave Head wrote:
> > > One group wants to do this - theater owners.

http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?St...7-074635-6362r

> > > The FCC almost certainly will never allow this.
> > >
> > > Of course, the theaters could do it without FCC permission, passively, by
> > > covering theater walls with wire mesh (underneath a suitable decorative facade,
> > > of course) so that _no_ radio or TV signals penetrate. Of course, if the place
> > > catches fire, the police and fire 2-way radios won't work to any outside radios
> > > either.
> > >
> > > What to do about this? I talk to people that cite people blabbing on cell
> > > phones as one reason they don't come to the theater. Is it the real reason, or
> > > is it a case of "Any excuse is a good excuse" for something they don't want to
> > > do any more anyway, for some other reason like price.
> > >
> > > Its been a long time since anyone actually bothered me by _talking_ on a cell
> > > phone, but they do bother me quite regularly by opening it up and creating a
> > > distracting light from its display. I can ignore it, but would rather that
> > > this doesn't happen.
> > >
> > > People blabbing to _each other_ are a _much_ bigger distraction for me, but the
> > > theaters _will_ throw these people out if you report it.
> > >
> > > Dave Head

> > The technology is already available and in use. Cell signals can and
> > are electronically blocked - you can buy the device on the net. Why do
> > you think cell signals disappear the moment you walk in the hospital
> > front door.
> >
> > Actually I think it is unfortunately necessary since some people are
> > rude enough to not turn their cell phones and blackberries off during a
> > movie.

> These things may be available, but they are absolutely illegal to use
> within the USA.
>
> If the cell signal goes away in a hospital ER, its likely because of
> the shielding created by the "concrete and steel" construction of the
> building itself.

There are three regional hospitals within 30 miles that I've been to
more than once as a visitor. Full length glass windows that are easily
12 feet high are not eliminating the signal. When you walk through the
glass doors the signal is gone within 3 feet. It's being phased out by
something. The concrete and steel construction has an effect, but it
isn't consistent. My 12 story large office building made of concrete
and steel allows cell reception in it's center, with no windows
visible.

Old December 19th 05, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 18 Dec 2005 19:44:19 -0800, "John S." > wrote:

wrote:
>> John S. wrote:

>> > The technology is already available and in use. Cell signals can and
>> > are electronically blocked - you can buy the device on the net. Why do
>> > you think cell signals disappear the moment you walk in the hospital
>> > front door.
>> >
>> > Actually I think it is unfortunately necessary since some people are
>> > rude enough to not turn their cell phones and blackberries off during a
>> > movie.

>> These things may be available, but they are absolutely illegal to use
>> within the USA.
>>
>> If the cell signal goes away in a hospital ER, its likely because of
>> the shielding created by the "concrete and steel" construction of the
>> building itself.
>>

>There are three regional hospitals within 30 miles that I've been to
>more than once as a visitor. Full length glass windows that are easily
>12 feet high are not eliminating the signal. When you walk through the
>glass doors the signal is gone within 3 feet. It's being phased out by
>something. The concrete and steel construction has an effect, but it
>isn't consistent. My 12 story large office building made of concrete
>and steel allows cell reception in it's center, with no windows
>visible.

Interesting.

If they're jamming, they are playing with fire. The FCC _will_ go after them
and the fines _start_ at $10,000.

Dave Head