A New Category of Sloth

Old December 10th 05, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default A New Category of Sloth

DTJ wrote: <brevity snip>

> Agreed with a vengeance. In my case, a significant percentage of the
> times I was pulled over was because of these assholes. I would guess
> between 10 and 25%.

-----

What exactly did they do... to cause you to be pulled over?
-----

- gpsman

Old December 10th 05, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

DTJ wrote: <relevancy snip>

> No, that is your problem when you get spun around a few times,
> bouncing what little brains you have around in your skull, only to
> wake up to a reckless endangerment charge for deliberately causing
> someone to hit you.

-----

Do "slow turners" have some sort of remote control over the throttle
and brakes of other vehicles? I mean, I understand someone running a
red light "causing someone to hit them"... Your "reckless endangerment
charge for deliberately causing..." doesn't make any sense in this
instance.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 10th 05, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>> Say, aren't you the one who gets all bent out of shape by us "evil
>> speeders?" According to you, your blood boils so much you carry around
>> bags of marbles to toss out your window.

> That's true. Has anyone ever wondered why most of us aren't bothered in
> the least by drivers who go faster? Has anyone ever wondered why most of
> us aren't bothered in the least by slower drivers who keep right except to
> pass?
>
> That brings up another question. Why is it that the "must drive the speed
> limit" crowd gets so worked up over others driving faster than them or
> slower than them?

It's a control issue obviously. I always speed, and don't give a rat's ass
how fast or slow other drivers choose to drive, as long as they are not
deliberately doing anything stupid to slow me down (LLB, for a good
example). Obviously, the real goal of the 'speed kills' idiots is to
personally control other people's behavior, because they get a rush out of
the feeling of power over other people's lives. They like to pretend it's
about safety, but they are really just dictator wanna-bes. In a
utshell. -Dave

Old December 10th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Kenneth Crudup wrote:
> In article >, newsgroup says:
>
> >And now there are Sloth Spoilers, the assholes who sit right next to
> >you and match the speed of the Sloth in front of you, preventing you
> >from changing into the wide open lane in front of the SS and escaping
> >the trap.

> Don't you HATE these people?! I think its yet another case of "never
> attribute to malice what's best charged to stupidity"; I think they're
> so ingrained to follow along with the herd they don't realize what
> they're doing.
>
> -Kenny
>
> --
> Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
> H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898

Yep. Had one last night. Congested traffic, parked in the left lane
(only two lanes available). Late night. Could see brakes lighting up
ahead and traffic switching. Finally caught up and there he is parked
out there. Stayed there for 10 miles and as I was tired I didn't try
to get around, just slowed it down by 2mph and lived with it. Couldn't
tell if anyone had lit him up.

Harry K

Old December 10th 05, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Around 12/10/2005 3:48 AM, gpsman wrote:

> DTJ wrote: <relevancy snip>
>
>>No, that is your problem when you get spun around a few times,
>>bouncing what little brains you have around in your skull, only to
>>wake up to a reckless endangerment charge for deliberately causing
>>someone to hit you.

> -----
>
> Do "slow turners" have some sort of remote control over the throttle
> and brakes of other vehicles?

In a way. If they're blocking a lane of traffic by turning
ever-so-unnecessarily-slowly, they're forcing everyone around them to
compensate for their sloth.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old December 10th 05, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 9 Dec 2005 07:35:04 -0800, "
> wrote:

>How about adding Sloth Turners? Those are the ones who may travel at
>or above the speed limit in a straight line, but come to a near stop
>when turning onto a side road, lot entrance, etc.

Good one!

And I know for a fact that some of them do it because they get a
"control freak's high" out of ****ing other people over. One time I
was stuck behind a Sloth on a two-lane road (no passing). I did not
tailgate or flash - I just hung back and bided my time. When I saw his
left signal go on, I dropped down a couple gears in anticipation of
freedom. The prick slowed down to about 5 MPH before making his turn,
even though there was no oncoming traffic in sight. As soon as he
began turning, I punched it, passing his right rear bumper by inches.
The son of a bitch honked his horn at me! Obviously he had been
watching me in his rear-view mirror, and was ****ed off that I had
managed to escape from his little trap "early."

It's almost as if he was busily whacking his pee-pee while I was
trapped behind him, and I escaped his rolling roadblock just as he was
about to bust a nut...

Old December 10th 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 9 Dec 2005 15:09:13 -0800, "Ed White" > wrote:

>You said - "* Sloth Coasters, the guys who take their foot off the gas
>whenever they see a red light (or even a "stale green") somewhere
>before the horizon "
>
>I suppose there are extremes, but it is not reasonable to get upset if
>someone is slowing down in a reaonable manner for a red light.

I agree, with the following caveat: confine your Sloth Coasting to
lanes where you will not block other vehcles from being able to enter
left- or right-turn pockets. I can't count the number of turn arrows I
have missed because some Sloth Coaster thought only about himself and
his precious gas mileage/brake linings when deciding how early to
begin slowing down for a traffic signal.

>I routinely see drivers roar up to a red light at high speed only to have
>to smoke the brakes to keep from running the light.

Kindly explain why you care. They're my brakes, and I'll smoke 'em if
I wanna.

>I get a lot of enjoyment when I glide past these sorts of drivers.

Just as I get a lot of enjoyment when I fly past some Sloth Coaster,
change lanes in front of him, and fly through the light just as it
turns green (or, at the very least, I get to Pole Position at the stop
line and can proceed unfettered when the light does change).

>My goal is to hit the green light at the highest possible speed.

My goal is to get where I'm going at the highest possible average
speed.

>Roaring up to a light and having to come to a stop not only wastes fuel
>and brake pads, it also wastes time. Just do the math

LOL!

You mean math like integrating to find the area beneath an
acceleration curve?

>My pet peeve are lights that change instantly when a car approaches a
>main street from a little used cross street.

Actually, you Sloth Coasters should hate ALL sensor-controlled
intersections. Because the lights are not controlled by timers, it's
impossible for you to determine a speed at which you can coast and
still maximize your ability to hit green lights. Instead, you end up
just driving Slothily everywhere with no real benefit.

Old December 10th 05, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:13:41 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>>Of all the different kinds of Sloth, I think I hate the Sloth Spoilers
>>the most.

>Agreed with a vengeance. In my case, a significant percentage of the
>times I was pulled over was because of these assholes. I would guess
>between 10 and 25%.

The irony is, it's the Sloth Spoilers who deserve to be pulled over,
not the victims who manage to escape their vile clutches...

Old December 10th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
gpsman > wrote:

>Other drivers making it through green signals is their own problem.

It becomes other people's problem when they block the intersection.
result in a fully-depreciated one.