rFactor review

Old September 3rd 05, 06:47 PM
Tony Rickard

Default rFactor review

After reading the A.S.S. I was ready for rFactor to surpass all other
sims in every area. The reality seems to be far from this yet I can see
the potential there and can only summise the reviewers were writing with
a vision for what might come rather than the product they were reviewing.

Throw in a political desire for rFactor to succeed over future
competitors they have publicly fallen out with and it is hardly
surprising the review has a degree of bias.

That is not to say I am critical of rFactor, just that hopes were raised
that it would raise the bar in all areas - physics, graphics, sound,
control, gameplay etc. similar to the way GPL did in '98 and this
clearly has not happened yet and we will need the community to evolve
rFactor into the next generation sim it has the potential for, which is
how it would appear to be designed.

I certainly don't feel cheated, I let myself hype it partly from a
desire to have a new generation of racing sims and partly from the
A.S.S. review which I knew was from a group desperate for its success.

The cost of rFactor is the same as I have spent on LFS which still has
Alpha in its title. There are many similarities - neither feels
particularly polished as a finished product - because neither is.
RFactor will add more features (such as weather) in the future.

I am quite happy rFactor has been released in its current development as
the physics and graphics engine are essentially complete and we can
enjoy these and start to develop the mods to enjoy them. The single
player game and the interface doesn't seem very compelling other than to
practice and have a bit of fun whilst the multiplayer will need
leagues to get organised to administer the competition element (just as
happened with GPL). rFactor adds no value here but again many of us
would rather sample the physics of the trainer now rather than wait for
an automated league structure or more compelling career and championship
mode.

The F1 lookalike feels like a desire to appeal to as wide an audience as
possible rather than a serious attempt at F1 simulation. The looks,
sound and feel all pale compared to the Trainer IMHO, plus the F1 AI
seem all over the place compared with the Trainers.

I look forward (already) to the Euro F3 mod and potential for online
leagues along with some real tracks to race on.

I believe rfactor will be the basis for the best sim racing for the
immediate future but reviews placing it as the complete racing sim are
stretching the imagination somewhat.

Cheers
Tony
Old September 3rd 05, 06:56 PM
Alan Bernardo

> That is not to say I am critical of rFactor, just that hopes were raised
> that it would raise the bar in all areas - physics, graphics, sound,
> control, gameplay etc. similar to the way GPL did in '98 and this
> clearly has not happened yet and we will need the community to evolve
> rFactor into the next generation sim it has the potential for, which is
> how it would appear to be designed.

I started reading this post, until mention of GPL cropped up. Once I saw
that, I closed her down.

Alanb

Old September 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
Chad Rogers

I would agree Tony that the trainers are a blast. The F1 cars are a joke
imho, I spent all of 2 minutes with them and shut them down.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:21 PM
Tony Rickard

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> I started reading this post, until mention of GPL cropped up. Once I saw
> that, I closed her down.

Perhaps I worded it badly then Alan. My point was not to compare rFactor
with GPL but to compare the relative position to other sims of the
period. In '98 there is little doubt GPL moved the genre forward in a
big way. The A.S.S. review suggested to me that rFactor would be a
similar leap forward in '05.

If you do read the rest of my post you will see I do feel the rFactor
trainers are probably the best experience in sim racing right now.
However, as an overall package I am less convinced. For good leagues,
providing the online aspect proves to be good the overall feel of a
somewhat limited product will be immaterial anyway.

Cheers
Tony
Old September 3rd 05, 07:27 PM
Jeff Reid

Even with all the aids turned off, the cars seem to be more
stable than the cars of LFS. This could be due to better
default setups, or maybe it's because I turn on the aids
while learning a track, then turn them off. I've played
both, and although the formula in rFactor has a huge
power to weight ratio advantage over the FO8 of LFS S2,
the formula is easier to control (this is with all aids
off), and you can push it much harder.

One tough track for me is Toban in the formula car with the
aids off, at least when I not using any force feedback (using
twin joysticks instead of my momo racing wheel,too lazy to
setup the wheel, the sticks are always ready to go).
Most of the Toban GP track is OK, but about 3/4 into the
lap, there's a right, then short straight with a seam/bump
followed by a left. Even in 4th gear, it's enough to send
the rears spinning if you're at full throttle. With the
aids turned on, I never even noticed that seam there before.
It's just enough that I have to let off and I can't take
the following left at

Still, I know it's just me, as I've seen a couple of players
qualify in the 1:07's with all aids off, while my best is like
a 1:09.6. With the aids on, I'm down to 1:08.2. Could just be a
setup issue, once some good setups get posted, I'll start trying
them out. To deal with traction control off, you either go
real easy on the throttle in the low gears, or just run a gear
taller at full throttle. A lot of players just don't use 1st
gear, and you have to be pointed straight to go full throttle
in 2nd gear.

Although it's not realistic, turning on most of the aids (ell
but the steering / braking aids) lets you really get agressive
with the formula car, which is a fun factor for me.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:38 PM
Tony Rickard

Jeff Reid wrote:
> Even with all the aids turned off, the cars seem to be more
> stable than the cars of LFS. This could be due to better
> default setups, or maybe it's because I turn on the aids
> while learning a track, then turn them off.

The Trainers with all aids off (and auto blipping edited off in one of
the config files) are much less stable under braking which feels
absolutely right. Go in a bit too hot and be abrupt in your changing
down and you will know about it, the great thing is you can get it all
back together if you are quick although you will lose time. Go in way
too hot and round you go.

Turning off the auto blipping option (also can be turned off in GTL
don't know about GTR) makes for an additional challenge which I like.

Cheers
Tony
Old September 3rd 05, 07:58 PM
Mitch_A

That is the best aspect of RFactor Tony but GTL seems to be similar and much
better in other areas.

Mitch

.uk...

Old September 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Jeff Reid" wrote...
> <snip> although the formula in rFactor has a huge
> power to weight ratio advantage over the FO8...

The FO8 is actually fairly* easy to drive. It's just LFS defaults to full
non-linear steering and doesn't even call it that ("centre reduction" or
something to that effect). Took 12 simmers over an hour to figure that one
out at the Belgian LAN.

Nevertheless, it's my experience LFS is the easier game for experienced
simmers and novices to pick up, compared to ISI-based stuff.

Jan.
=---
(*): it does remain a 450hp+ single seater. Did you expect it to be docile?

Old September 3rd 05, 09:43 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Tony Rickard" wrote...
> The A.S.S. review suggested to me that rFactor would be a similar leap
> forward in '05.

Exactly my main gripe with it. Judging from the demo they haven't moved it
far enough ahead of previous incarnations to warrant a purchase. I can see
myself going for GTLegends, because the game is solid enough, the
subjectmatter interests me and it should come with a good version of the
current Zolder circuit, but for me LFS S2 already has fantasy cars/tracks, a
better tyre model, FF and online play.

Jan.
=---

Old September 4th 05, 01:48 AM

I disagree that LFS is easier to pick up. I let a couple friends have
a go with it and they couldn't do a single lap without spinning the car
around. rFactor to me feels very solid and easy to drive in
comparison. You can even <gasp> steer with the throttle in that and
GTL :-)

Don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy LFS too and have spent way too
much time playing it ;-)

Todd Wasson
http://www.VirtualRC.com
http://www.PerformanceSimulations.com
http://www.PerformanceSimulations.co.../ToddSim7a.wmv <---You
ain't seen horrible graphics until you've seen this ;-)