Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 29th 05, 07:33 AM
The Real Bev

jaybird wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:
> >G W Shrub wrote:

> >> I meant that cops do get tired of scraping brains off roads after idiots
> >> have gone racing there for the twentieth time.

> > Part of the job. They weren't drafted, were they? What, did they think
> > they were going to spend their professional lives rescuing kittens from
> > trees like firemen?
> >
> > Why is nobody willing to admit that if the dispatcher's actions had
> > actually caused the death he would have to face SOME sort of charge in
> > addition to being canned?

> We've already addressed that. Nothing the Trooper did or could have done
> would've saved the guy from getting himself into the wreck and causing
> serious bodily injury resulting in his own death.

I said 'if.' Several times. We're discussing a philosophical issue now, not
a personnel issue.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 29th 05, 07:42 AM
The Real Bev

jaybird wrote:

> "Tim Kreitz" > wrote:
> > The veteran you're exalting has probably been exhibiting similar
> > crooked behavior across the entire 18-year span of his so-called
> > "service" to the public. He just happened to get caught this time. Fire
> > him. Reasonable, professional cops who deserve to keep their job don't
> > do what Peasley did even once.

> I doubt it, and there's no evidence to support your claim. I, unlike you,
> still hold true to the idea of innocent until proven guilty no matter what
> profession someone is in.

That only applies to jurors. The rest of us can make up our minds about
whatever evidence is available to us. It just seems really unlikely that
somebody who was perfectly competent, perhaps even exemplary, for 18 years
would **** up so badly unless he came to work drunk. "No disciplinary action"
means approximately as much as "not proven".

Old March 29th 05, 07:44 AM
The Real Bev

Sir Lex wrote:

> Car wrote:
>
> > From the Hartford Courant
> >
> > Trooper Suspended 15 Days
> >
> > Response To 911 Call Called Inappropriate

> The officers response was extremely inappropriate, but seeing as had
> been in the force for 18 years without previous issues, the punishment
> he got was good enough. Firing him would be a knee jerk reaction. I
> don't know what US troopers pay is like, but I'd imagine three weeks pay
> amounts to well over $1000, which is a pretty significant penalty. I
> doubt he'll adopt an attitude like that again to any 911 caller.

Many would regard a 3-week unpaid vacation as a godsend rather than a
penalty.

Old March 29th 05, 11:10 AM
Bo Raxo

"Charles Soto" > wrote in message

> LOL. I gotta remember that one. I almost had to ride home lidless
> today, because I lost my keys! Sure, I have a spare to El Guapo in my
> wallet. But not for the Givi bag, where my lid sleeps while I'm away.
> Doh! Gotta get me a spare to keep in my drawer at work...
>
> Turns out the key fell behind a chair in my office. Whew!

A hard case that'll hold a full-size helmet and doesn't obstruct your
ability to lane split.

Dayam, you are livin' large and steppin' easy! If my knees ever are in
good enough shape to ride again (gave it up a year ago), I have to get one
of those Givi tail cases - those things are too cool.

Old March 29th 05, 05:59 PM
Greek Shipping Magnets

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:26:35 GMT, Charles Soto
> wrote:

>LOL. I gotta remember that one. I almost had to ride home lidless
>today, because I lost my keys! Sure, I have a spare to El Guapo in my
>wallet. But not for the Givi bag, where my lid sleeps while I'm away.
>Doh! Gotta get me a spare to keep in my drawer at work...

Like a dearly departed relative once said... Keys are to keep the
owner's head comfortable. They don't do a damn thing to foil a thief!
Old March 29th 05, 07:23 PM
jaybird

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>
>> If you're shooting in the
>> defense of yourself then it's nothing...... etc, etc...

> Especially if it's an old woman menacing you with a screwdriver. Oh yeah,
> forgot -- a SHARP screwdriver.

Yep, that too. I didn't think she was that old; I thought they said she was
in her 40's or so. But yeah, if you choose to wave around a screwdriver at
a cop you might get shot. It's not a really bright thing to do.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 29th 05, 07:27 PM
jaybird

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:

>> > Part of the job. They weren't drafted, were they? What, did they
>> > think
>> > they were going to spend their professional lives rescuing kittens from
>> > trees like firemen?
>> >
>> > Why is nobody willing to admit that if the dispatcher's actions had
>> > actually caused the death he would have to face SOME sort of charge in
>> > addition to being canned?

>> We've already addressed that. Nothing the Trooper did or could have done
>> would've saved the guy from getting himself into the wreck and causing
>> serious bodily injury resulting in his own death.

> I said 'if.' Several times. We're discussing a philosophical issue now,
> not
> a personnel issue.

Well you can "what if" a story all day long and have many different
outcomes. You can add all the if's, heretofore's, what have you's, and what
not's you want so what are you trying to accomplish?

--
---
jaybird

Old March 29th 05, 07:29 PM
jaybird

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>>
>> "Tim Kreitz" > wrote:
>> > The veteran you're exalting has probably been exhibiting similar
>> > crooked behavior across the entire 18-year span of his so-called
>> > "service" to the public. He just happened to get caught this time. Fire
>> > him. Reasonable, professional cops who deserve to keep their job don't
>> > do what Peasley did even once.

>> I doubt it, and there's no evidence to support your claim. I, unlike
>> you,
>> still hold true to the idea of innocent until proven guilty no matter
>> what
>> profession someone is in.

> That only applies to jurors. The rest of us can make up our minds about
> whatever evidence is available to us. It just seems really unlikely that
> somebody who was perfectly competent, perhaps even exemplary, for 18 years
> would **** up so badly unless he came to work drunk. "No disciplinary
> action"
> means approximately as much as "not proven".

Assume away then. The rest of us will stick to the facts.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 29th 05, 08:43 PM
L Sternn

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:10:02 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>>> I guess we'd have to put it into perspective then. His inaction was not
>>> deliberately kill someone. He had no idea the extent of the injuries,
>>> nor
>>> were the injuries his fault. The guy could've died no matter what anyone
>>> did which is pretty much what happened. At the most his inaction
>>> would've
>>> delayed emergency response by the time it takes to make 3 phone calls but
>>> his bosses were quoted as saying there was no delay.

>> You're a police officer, yet you seem strangely unfamiliar with the
>> concept of negligent homicide.

>The fact that I am a police officer makes me very familiar with the concept.
>For a homicide charge in most states I am familiar with, the person has to
>_cause_ the death of a person in one form or another be it through direct or
>indirect actions. The mere fact that he neither caused nor had anything to
>do with the injuries in the collision makes that statue not applicable to
>this incident.

I'd feel much more confident that the officer's actiosn didn't
contribute to his death if it were DOCTORS saying it didn't matter
instead of cops.

Old March 29th 05, 08:44 PM
L Sternn

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:49:49 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>> The point is that you are excusing negligent behaviour -- behaviour that
>> *could* have resulted in someone's death.

>No, I'm not excusing it at all. I don't believe it resulted in a death, but
>it was inappropriate and he was disciplined for it.
>

>> He *hung up* on a 911 caller, where someone's *life* was on the line;
>> literally.

>Yes he did. That action does not constitute negligent homicide which is
>what we were discussing in this post.

Of course, we only have the lay opinion of other cops - not a medical
opinion.