94 Explorer Clutch fluid Disappearing & clutch slip

Old July 9th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
rolleye

Default 94 Explorer Clutch fluid Disappearing & clutch slip

Hi,

I have noticed that I have to refill the clutch reservoir every couple
of months and that recently the clutch is slipping a bit.... some how I
don't think it is a coincidence....

If clutch fluid comes in contact with the clutch components will it need
to be replaced ?

Thanks

Old July 12th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Tommy Wood[_3_]

The slave cylinder which is mounted on the pilot shaft between the
transmission and the pressure plate is likely leaking. The slave
cylinder has some rubber o-rings and other rubber components that can
get cracks and leak. Replacing the slave cylinder requires pulling
the transmission.

A typical labor charge for this is $800, plus about $100 for the slave
cylinder. Since the clutch and pressure plate will add about $200 to
this cost, my judgement says go ahead and replace the clutch and
pressure plate.

No doubt, some brake fluid has gotten onto the clutch or the pressure
plate.

Shop around for a shade tree mechanic who can do this, as I found one
who would do the labor for $475. You can do it yourself if you're a
handyman, but it really is quite a physically demanding task,
requiring a lot of effort to remove the driveshaft bolts. Personally,
I'd gladly pay somebody $475 to do it rather do it myself.

Good luck.

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 03:46:47 GMT, rolleye > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have noticed that I have to refill the clutch reservoir every couple
>of months and that recently the clutch is slipping a bit.... some how I
>don't think it is a coincidence....
>
>If clutch fluid comes in contact with the clutch components will it need
>to be replaced ?
>
>Thanks

96 xl explorer clutch fluid loss 5spd manual darren Ford Explorer 0 May 29th 07 01:07 PM
GT 1.9 JTD clutch slip @ 26K miles? Grahame Alfa Romeo 13 May 27th 06 02:26 PM
Clutch Fluid Leak shawk Ford Explorer 0 December 19th 05 07:57 PM
Clutch Slip C.Read BMW 14 October 9th 05 05:52 AM
Air in clutch fluid lovs2fly Ford Explorer 1 March 9th 05 04:04 AM