91 miata radiator price

Old January 27th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 91 miata radiator price

Hello,

The radiator on my '91 (130k miles) exploded and I'm looking to
replace it along with my water pump (original), and timing belt
(replaced around 67k miles).

I've found the following:

Local Mazda dealer:
Radiator $234.30
W Pump $89.05 (reman) +$25core
T Belt $52.65

Local Auto Parts sto
Radiator $197.77
Pump $42.96
T Belt $31.88

I've found radiators from
Radiator Doctor on Ebay for $130
This radiator will fit all Mazda Miata models from 90-97. It is a
BRAND NEW radiator STILL IN THE BOX.
Brand New Part with Lifetime

What do you think about the one from Radiator Doctor? They have
good feedback. Are the radiators all the same for 90-97, manual
vs. auto, with or w/o AC. My car is a manual with AC. I wonder
about quality since the feedback is left long before a radiator
would likely fail.

I see "racing" radiators advertised on Ebay, they're pricy and I
wonder about fitment on a stock car. All metal would be nice,
but expensive, and the original lasted 15 years.

I was thinking about coughing up the extra $ for a genuine Mazda
timing belt. Do you think it would be better than generic? It
would seem that the remanufactured water pumps from Mazda or an
autoparts store would be equivalent.

-Eric
--
Miss Baby was alright until me and Junior turned her head around.
Old January 27th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

(Wreckless Eric) wrote in :

> The radiator on my '91 (130k miles) exploded and I'm looking to
> replace it along with my water pump (original), and timing belt
> (replaced around 67k miles).

Not good.

> What do you think about the one from Radiator Doctor? They have
> good feedback. Are the radiators all the same for 90-97, manual
> vs. auto, with or w/o AC. My car is a manual with AC. I wonder
> about quality since the feedback is left long before a radiator
> would likely fail.

Can't help you there, I've had good dealings on Ebay and found sellers
anxious to help if there is a problem. As always, YMMV.

> I see "racing" radiators advertised on Ebay, they're pricy and I
> wonder about fitment on a stock car. All metal would be nice,
> but expensive, and the original lasted 15 years.

That's a matter of care, mine's a 1992, 140,000 miles and the radiator
looks new inside. It gets drained and flushed annually and refilled
with the correct coolant. Now that I said that it will explode
tomorrow... <sigh>

> I was thinking about coughing up the extra $ for a genuine Mazda
> timing belt. Do you think it would be better than generic? It
> would seem that the remanufactured water pumps from Mazda or an
> autoparts store would be equivalent.

I'd go with the after market belt if it saved a bunch but for $20, who
knows? It's probably exactly the same belt but, again, who knows?
I've had very good luck with rebuilt water pumps, again, YMMV.

Old January 27th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Wreckless Eric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The radiator on my '91 (130k miles) exploded and I'm looking to
> replace it along with my water pump (original), and timing belt
> (replaced around 67k miles).
>
> I've found the following:
>
> Local Mazda dealer:
> Radiator $234.30
> W Pump $89.05 (reman) +$25core
> T Belt $52.65
>
> Local Auto Parts sto
> Radiator $197.77
> Pump $42.96
> T Belt $31.88
>
> I've found radiators from
> Radiator Doctor on Ebay for $130
> This radiator will fit all Mazda Miata models from 90-97. It is a
> BRAND NEW radiator STILL IN THE BOX.
> Brand New Part with Lifetime
>
> What do you think about the one from Radiator Doctor? They have
> good feedback. Are the radiators all the same for 90-97, manual
> vs. auto, with or w/o AC. My car is a manual with AC. I wonder
> about quality since the feedback is left long before a radiator
> would likely fail.
>
> I see "racing" radiators advertised on Ebay, they're pricy and I
> wonder about fitment on a stock car. All metal would be nice,
> but expensive, and the original lasted 15 years.
>
> I was thinking about coughing up the extra $ for a genuine Mazda
> timing belt. Do you think it would be better than generic? It
> would seem that the remanufactured water pumps from Mazda or an
> autoparts store would be equivalent.
>
> -Eric

I would go with the Mazda parts for everything but the radiator, but I
would order them from Trussville Mazda rather than the local dealer.

http://trussvillemazda.com/

The prices are considerably better, the water pump is closer to $70.00
than $90.00, iirc. They sell a timing belt kit that contains the other
bits and pieces that you would want to replace at the same time,
(tensioners, etc.), it was around $70.00 the last time I looked.

There is a local place where I live that sells all-metal radiators for
about $100.00 that they guarantee to fit. I haven't put one on a miata,
but I have replaced a couple of radiators on other cars with units from
them and they worked great, so they are apparently well-made.
If you have such a place in your area, the advantage would be that you
could take it right back with no shipping hassles if there is a fitting
problem.

Finally, though this place has a "lifetime" warranty on their radiators,
they have a clause that the radiator must be installed by a certified
mechanic with the *idea* being that the mechanic will find out if some
other problem caused the radiator to fail.
Since my non-certified self did the labor, there is no warranty on these
radiators for me. I would definitely check the fine print if this is
important to you.

Of course, you could also just order the all-aluminum one from Flying
Miata, it is very nice but a bit pricey. :-)

HTH,

Pat
Old January 27th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

another great resource for genuine parts is rosenthal...
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...intenance.html
radiator $175 (might want to consider new cap, and upper and lower hoses)
water pump $55
timming belt kits $97 or $85, includes other bits you need like valve cover
gasket, crank seal, etc... ask them
look at this link for a look at what's involved...
http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

Old January 28th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Wreckless Eric" > wrote
> The radiator on my '91 (130k miles) exploded and I'm looking to
> replace it along with my water pump (original), and timing belt
> (replaced around 67k miles).

In the summer of 2003 I bought an all-metal $130 radiator for the '90 from
Radiator Express. It's been fine. Excellent service and shipping. Almost (if
not) all after market radiators have the automatic transmission cooler.

Oh yeah....I also called Marshall at Trussville and ordered a complete set
of hoses. Painless.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old January 30th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Pat was off just a bit on the Trussville parts prices, the waterpump is $86,
the timing belt 'kit' ($92) includes valve cover gasket, cam (2) and crank
seals and the tensioner spring (this thing ever fails?). It doesn't include
the expensive tensioner bits which you should probably do at 130k if you can
gather the cash. There's an idler pulley (about $60) and the tensioner
pulley ($67). Of course you have to take shipping into account.

Good luck,
Chris