Q: 60K Service

Old January 27th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Q: 60K Service

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Just my 2 pennies but I'm not sure that I'd spring for the water pump if I
> did the timing belt at or near 60k. When I changed my belt for the second
> go-round on my previous miata at 134k on a 13 yr old car, the water pump
> (original as best I could tell) was still fine. Obviously I bit the bullet
> and replaced it at that time but at about $70 some of us still have to think
> hard about it. I'm sure if you're paying someone else, they charge you far
> more than that for the pump.

I have a 1991 miata right now with approximately 130,000 miles. The
timing belt was never replaced, but the water pump gave out.

If I knew the history on the car and was sure that the cooling system
was properly maintained, then I would go with the original water pump if
it looked sound. (assuming 60K schedule)
If the car had never had the coolant replaced, had tap water put in
instead of distilled, or anything like that, I would want to go ahead
and replace the water pump.

I have never even heard of a timing belt breaking before 80K miles, and
I have never dealt with one that broke on any car before approximately
110K miles.
Since I go at least 80K between timing belt changes, probably closer to
90K, replacing the water pump becomes automatic.

> FYI, the labor to do the waterpump is nil when you're in there doing the
> timing belt so what ever you do, don't let the shop bs you that they need to
> charge you the full hrs "spec'd" for both jobs individually. Oh, I'm sure
> they'd never try that ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

The mechanic that I have here is one thing keeping me in Austin. An
honest miata guru that charges reasonable rates, what more could you ask
for?

Pat
Old January 27th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote in
:

> Hey, it's not my fault. You are just feeling sad and despondent
> because you recently got rained on every day for something like
> five years in a row..........

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about rain.

Saturday will be the 102nd day w/o rain in Phoenix, a new all-time
record. It's been so long since the top was up I forgot what it looks
like???

Old January 27th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Christopher Muto wrote:

> it is questionable at 60k but undeniable at 120k. the problem being that as
> far as i know there is no definitive way to inspect it. and since labor far
> outweights the cost of the part it seems like a cheap insurance to me... of
> course ymmv.

They can see if it looks gunked up or if it has excessive shaft play
while it is off of the car, but I agree, with labor costs versus $70.00,
it seems like the way to go, especially if you are already willing to
spend the money to replace the belt every 60K.

In addition, I do know one miata owner who had a water pump that was
determined to be ok and was re-used when the timing belt was replaced,
and had the car back in the shop about a year later to have the water
pump replaced.
I don't remember the mileage of that miata, but that person definitely
wished that they had spent the $70.00.

Pat
Old January 27th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about rain.
>
> Saturday will be the 102nd day w/o rain in Phoenix, a new all-time
> record. It's been so long since the top was up I forgot what it looks
> like???

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.emanphoto.com/images/phot...uring_rain.jpg

Hey, I'll be passing through Phoenix heading west, probably in late
February. Can I crash on your couch and raid your fridge for a few days????

Pat
Old January 27th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> This has been discussed before. When I had my 60K service and had the
> timing belt replaced, my Mazda service guy said their policy is to inspect
> the pump and repleace it only if it needs it. This policy was widely
> ridiculed here.

My data point: timing belt replaced at 60k, but water pump was fine and
left alone. Original water pump started leaking at 114k. Needless to
say, the TB got replaced a little early.

Same deal with the tensioner and idler pulleys, BTW: in great shape at
60k, but at 114k both were dry and on the verge of seizure. Each pulley
costs about the same as one water pump, so replacing both pulleys and
the pump can almost double the cost of a minimal TB job (or much more if
you do it yourself). You pays yer money and takes yer chances. No
regrets here, but since I use my Miata for long trips, I don't think
I'll be scrimping next time.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 27th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

And that picture of the rain, was taken on one of the nice days ! :-)

Bruce RED '91

Old January 27th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you Dr Pat. I feel so much better now.
:-)

Bruce RED '91

Old January 27th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you Dr Pat. I feel so much better now.
> :-)
>
> Bruce RED '91

Hey, you wanted Dr. Phil, you got Dr. Pat. This is usenet,
you get what you pay fer! :-)

Pat, the love Doctor........
Old January 27th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote in
:

> Hey, I'll be passing through Phoenix heading west, probably in
> late February. Can I crash on your couch and raid your fridge for
> a few days????

Dunno, how much do you eat?

I'll see what She Who Must Be Obeyed has to say.

I also need to see if we'll be here so let me know exact dates when you
can, OK?

Old January 27th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> Dunno, how much do you eat?

A lot.
You wouldn't believe how much food I can stuff into this skinny body,
which is then immediately burned off by my racehorse metabolism.

> I'll see what She Who Must Be Obeyed has to say.

About me stopping by or whether it is me or you that sleeps on the
couch? (BFEG) ;-)

> I also need to see if we'll be here so let me know exact dates when you
> can, OK?

Thanks, but I wouldn't do that to you.

Phoenix is on my short list of possible "move-to" cities, so I may have
a few questions about it if you don't mind having me send a private
e-mail or two.

Thanks!

Pat

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM
4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service Brent Murphy 4x4 32 March 16th 04 06:14 AM