1.8 NB FL brake discs on 1.8 NB?

Old January 24th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 1.8 NB FL brake discs on 1.8 NB?

Is it somehow possible to fit NBFL brake discs (10.9 in front and 11 in
rear) to 2001 NB Miata (Standard 10 in front and 9.9 in rear) without
changing brake calipers? Is there some kind of adapter for calipers to be
able to fit bigger discs?
Thanks!

Old January 25th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Correct me if I am wrong, I'm speaking from a logical standpoint here but,
fitting larger disks with the same calipers / brake pads cannot possibly
gain you anything but weight. The slight exception might be that the new
disks are slotted / drilled and possibly better performing in some small way
from that angle but the fact remains that you will have the same friction
surface area, the exact dimensions of the brake pads. I can understand gains
in braking power if you capitalize on the increased surface area of the disc
with increased surface area of the pads (probably requiring bigger
calipers).

Am I missing something here? Maybe you are planning on upgrading calipers /
pads later? Maybe you just like the looks of the larger disks?

I guess a larger disk would have a bigger circumference and therefore more
net surface area per rotation? That seems likely to be inconsequential but
maybe I'm wrong about that.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 25th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> I guess a larger disk would have a bigger circumference and therefore more
> net surface area per rotation? That seems likely to be inconsequential but
> maybe I'm wrong about that.

There is a theoretical potential for extra rotor cooling. But I suspect
someone just bought 17" wheels and is now unhappy that the stock rotors
look lost in all that empty space. There was no mention of a problem to
be solved, and stock Miata brakes work pretty well.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck an "NBFL" is? Is the
front-left disc bigger than the others? Are NB brakes larger in Florida?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 25th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out what the heck an "NBFL" is? Is the
> front-left disc bigger than the others? Are NB brakes larger in Florida?

FL as in Face Lift aka 2001-2005 model
Old January 26th 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> Correct me if I am wrong, I'm speaking from a logical standpoint here but,
> fitting larger disks with the same calipers / brake pads cannot possibly
> gain you anything but weight. The slight exception might be that the new
> disks are slotted / drilled and possibly better performing in some small
> way from that angle but the fact remains that you will have the same
> friction surface area, the exact dimensions of the brake pads. I can
> understand gains in braking power if you capitalize on the increased
> surface area of the disc with increased surface area of the pads (probably
> requiring bigger calipers).
>
> Am I missing something here? Maybe you are planning on upgrading calipers
> / pads later? Maybe you just like the looks of the larger disks?
>
> I guess a larger disk would have a bigger circumference and therefore more
> net surface area per rotation? That seems likely to be inconsequential but
> maybe I'm wrong about that.

My problem has more practical manner. I ordered slotted&drilled rotors
for NB Miata, but delivered rotors are for NB-FL (Face Lift) or NB with
sport package.

So, they are a little bit to big to fit them on my 2001 NB 1.8 Miata. I have
two options now:
1. Try to sell this rotors and wait month or two more to get the right ones
(I live in Croatia, and I bought rotors in California, so option to return
rotors isn't very practical because shipping cost me more then 200$)
2. Somehow fit this rotors on my car (it seems that calipers can be fitted,
only mounting brackets are different)

Yes, I admit that bigger rotors are little bit heavier, but the cooling will
be also better. I'm not stratified with stock setup on Miata, because after
4-5 laps on demanding track with heavy braking or longer downhill drives,
brakes are simple unusable because they are overheated. This is my second
Miata, I also owned 2001 NB 1.6 and in last 5 years tried many performance
brake pads (Ferodo, Mintex, EBC), breaking was a little better than with
stock pads, but overheating was still there.

Old January 26th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

All makes sense now. Thanks for the info, I hope you can get this worked out
without too much expense.

Enjoy,
Chris
99BBB