Charge light?

Old January 11th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Charge light?

if you other instrument panel lights (eg brake, check engine) work when key
is turned on, then 10 A meter fuse is good.
the charge indicator is fed by white wire with black stripe, from the
alternator... with engine not running, this wire is at ground, allowing
indicator to light. You say you checked out the bulb itself ?
Then I'd be looking for a bad connection/broken wire, probably at or near
the alternator.

Pete

Old January 11th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Pete" <pbreemhaar(at)hotmail.com> wrote in
:

> if you other instrument panel lights (eg brake, check engine) work
> when key is turned on, then 10 A meter fuse is good.

Right, and they do.

> the charge indicator is fed by white wire with black stripe, from
> the alternator... with engine not running, this wire is at
> ground, allowing indicator to light. You say you checked out the
> bulb itself ? Then I'd be looking for a bad connection/broken
> wire, probably at or near the alternator.

I'm wondering if I can lay the instrument panel down on the steering
column with the speedometer cable disconnected, I don't know if the
cables to the light are long enough. Apparently I need both
connectors, the white/black wire comes to the instrument panel on the
left side connector (1G), the 12v line from fuse is on the right side
connector (2K).

As for looking near the alternator, the same wire (white with black
stripe) also goes to the ABS control unit, but I don't know where the
wire separates. I'm guessing it's not by the alternator but rather
after the wire goes past the firewall???? The ABS is working fine
AFAIK.

Old January 11th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"XS11E" > wrote in message

> As for looking near the alternator, the same wire (white with black
> stripe) also goes to the ABS control unit, but I don't know where the
> wire separates. I'm guessing it's not by the alternator but rather
> after the wire goes past the firewall???? The ABS is working fine
> AFAIK.

the schematics in my Haynes manual don't include any of the ABS circuitry...
but I don't see why this signal, whose purpose is to alert you to the fact
that the alternator isn't working, would also go to the ABS control unit.
Are you certain it is the same wire, not just another white/black wire ?
If it is the same wire, perhaps the ABS system uses this signal to determine
if the engine is running ???
And perhaps a malfunctioning ABS control unit is holding it high so the
charge light can't come on ???
If this were true, you might prove it by disconnecting this wire/connector
at the ABS control unit temporarily.

Maybe someone with more complete wiring schematics from another publication
can verify if indeed it is the same wire.

Pete

Old January 11th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Pete" <pbreemhaar(at)hotmail.com> wrote in
:

> the schematics in my Haynes manual don't include any of the ABS
> circuitry... but I don't see why this signal, whose purpose is to
> alert you to the fact that the alternator isn't working, would
> also go to the ABS control unit.

I've absolutely NO idea why it goes there but it does, here's the unit
diagram, Page 7:

http://members.cox.net/xs11e/Miata92sys.pdf

And here's the wiring diagram, pages 3 and 6:

http://members.cox.net/xs11e/Miata92diag.pdf

Old January 13th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

The voltage regulator circuit in the alternator will light the charge
light if the reference voltage drops a half volt or more lower than the
battery. That said, I've never noticed the charge light coming on in my
1.6 miata after starting the car when things are normal.

Do you have reason to think it should be lit? You could always monitor
the voltages. Should be 13-14 volts at the battery with the car running
and the same at the base of the charge light diode.

Old January 13th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"beater 90 miata" > wrote in
oups.com:

> The voltage regulator circuit in the alternator will light the
> charge light if the reference voltage drops a half volt or more
> lower than the battery. That said, I've never noticed the charge
> light coming on in my 1.6 miata after starting the car when things
> are normal.
>
> Do you have reason to think it should be lit?

Sure do, when you turn the key on and don't start the engine, there's
no alternator output at all and the light should be on.

Old January 19th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Charge light? FIXED!

XS11E > wrote in
:

> "beater 90 miata" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> The voltage regulator circuit in the alternator will light the
>> charge light if the reference voltage drops a half volt or more
>> lower than the battery. That said, I've never noticed the charge
>> light coming on in my 1.6 miata after starting the car when
>> things are normal.
>>
>> Do you have reason to think it should be lit?

> Sure do, when you turn the key on and don't start the engine,
> there's no alternator output at all and the light should be on.

Found it. The charge light gets voltage from the battery and ground
from the black with white stripe wire that goes to the alternator. The
plug that goes into the side of the alternator wasn't connected! The
wire was stiff enough to keep the plug in position but it wasn't making
contact so.... I plugged it back in which wasn't easy, that SOB does
NOT go in easily, I had to use a small pry bar to reach down there and
give it a little push.

Now the charge light goes on with the key turned on and goes out when I
start the engine.

All is well except.... my master cylinder is now leaking! Looks like
the "O" ring seal that seals the resavor to the master cylinder.

Damn, fix one thing and the next one goes bad! What a mess it's made
of the paint on the firewall.

Oh, $@*&!

Old January 19th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote in
:

> All is well except.... my master cylinder is now leaking! Looks
> like the "O" ring seal that seals the resavor to the master
> cylinder.

Anyone know WTF a "resavor" is?

I think it's very like a reservoir.

I meant to spell check that, really I did.... :-(

Old January 20th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

:

>> "beater 90 miata" > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>
>>> The voltage regulator circuit in the alternator will light the
>>> charge light if the reference voltage drops a half volt or more
>>> lower than the battery. That said, I've never noticed the charge
>>> light coming on in my 1.6 miata after starting the car when
>>> things are normal.
>>>
>>> Do you have reason to think it should be lit?

>> Sure do, when you turn the key on and don't start the engine,
>> there's no alternator output at all and the light should be on.

>Found it. The charge light gets voltage from the battery and ground
>from the black with white stripe wire that goes to the alternator. The
>plug that goes into the side of the alternator wasn't connected! The
>wire was stiff enough to keep the plug in position but it wasn't making
>contact so.... I plugged it back in which wasn't easy, that SOB does
>NOT go in easily, I had to use a small pry bar to reach down there and
>give it a little push.
>
>Now the charge light goes on with the key turned on and goes out when I
>start the engine.
>
>All is well except.... my master cylinder is now leaking! Looks like
>the "O" ring seal that seals the resavor to the master cylinder.
>
>Damn, fix one thing and the next one goes bad! What a mess it's made
>of the paint on the firewall.

I believe that if you keep the hood closed, nobody can see it.

Leon

>Oh, $@*&!

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
Poorly setup stop light Paul Driving 7 May 19th 05 10:25 PM
Crazy lights on '02 A4 1.8T - can anyone shed any light on this? muk Audi 6 February 11th 05 02:57 AM
Engine Light coming on Carl Borbons Saturn 5 July 17th 04 01:49 PM