2000 Civic SE: Rattling noise while braking at low speeds

Old March 23rd 05, 04:49 PM
S.K.

Default 2000 Civic SE: Rattling noise while braking at low speeds

Every time when applying even slightest pressure on my brakes at
speeds around 10-50 km/h (5-30 miles/h) I hear rattling noises.
Sometimes a little bit of squeaking, too. It's very annoying.

I went to authorized honda service for my 96 000 Km (60K miles) check
up, and they kind of fixed the problem for a less then a week. I had
no real problems with brakes so far. But noise got even worse.

Also, I hear a squeaking noise in my front right part of the car when
going over speed bumps, similar to squeaking noise while braking.

2000 Honda Civic SE is canadian model, and of course it was used in
cold canadian climate. Also, it was well maintained so far.

Now, before I go to my 120 000 Km (75K miles) check up I would like to
know is there any fix for this problem? Is there anyone else having
similar problem?

Thanks,
S.K.
Old March 23rd 05, 10:07 PM
Remco

When they fixed your problem, did it end up being brake related?

If it is brake related, I am assuming you have disk brakes:
Brake pads are supposed to have shims (very thin pieces of metal)
installed on them. It could be that they forgot to put them on, are not
installed correctly or they forgot to put a special compound between
them and the brake pad.

On my wife's 95 integra, I once found a metal cover loose which caused
rattling -- although, I don't remember now if it made noise only when
braking or all the time..
It covers a portion of the back of the caliper.

Hope you find it soon.
Remco

Old March 23rd 05, 11:04 PM

When problem was temporarily fixed they said to me
nothing unusual was found with brakes. They just inspected
the brakes and removed dirt. At least that's what they said.

Personally I am not quite sure that problem is solely brakes related,
because I don't have the problem while braking on the highway.

I won't be surprised if brakes are not installed properly or at least
adjusted properly. I have to do brakes check up soon and then I will
have to ask them to check pads and shims carefully.

To be honest I don't have a clue about cars but I will have to learn
it soon because obviously I can't completely rely on other people to
properly adjust and maintain my five years old honda civic.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I have automatic transmission. Also, I am
the first owner of this car and both my wife and myself took good care
of it. And sometimes I have a habit to brake harder then needed.

Thanks,
S.K.

Old April 13th 05, 02:37 PM

I went for 120 000 km (75 000 miles) check up and most of the noises
desapeared. Still I was able to hear some kind of squeaking sounds on
very low speeds when braking. Then I went for service again, couple of
days later, with complain and they did additional adjusting of the
brakes at no additional charge. Now I don't hear any weird sounds but I
was told by mechanic that sounds may come back again because my brakes
are at the half of their lives.
Eventualy, a year from now, I will have to change the pads, and
service a rotor in order for problem to go away completely. It seems
even functunal honda brakes are far from being ideal. They just develop
all kind of weird noises over time. Servicing is helping to minimize
the problem, but never completly.

S.K.