Cost of a 1.6L long block

Old January 12th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Cost of a 1.6L long block

Just got a quote from a San Jose, CA dealer for $3,900 for the factory
rebuilt long block. $1,500 for labor.

Four years ago, I did the same thing. Factory long block replacement
for $2,700 parts and labor.

Seems like I'm getting ripped off.

Anybody done this recently? What did it cost?

I thought 1.6 motors were relatively cheap due to Spec Miata's creating
a lot of demand.

Thanks, Bill

Old January 13th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

A "Lot of demand" indicates a higher price, not a lower one!
Naturally, there are discounts if you are a member of the racing community.
Poking around the internet, $3600-6000 gets you a "built" long block for
racing.
I don't know where the "Spec" 1.6 falls in the price range.

oups.com...

Old January 13th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chuck wrote:
> Naturally, there are discounts if you are a member of the racing community.

True. Factory (stock - not spec built) long block can be had at close
to dealer cost, which is under $2000.

But the original poster's 2nd engine only lasted 4 years? I would think
a $500-600 used engine would do better than that.

For the $5500 that his dealer wanted, he might as well go buy the whole
used 1.6 miata and have money left over.

Old January 14th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article . com>,
"beater 90 miata" > wrote:

> For the $5500 that his dealer wanted, he might as well go buy the whole
> used 1.6 miata and have money left over.

For $5500, he could step up to a very nice 1.8.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 14th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article .com>,
"BillBetts" > wrote:

> Just got a quote from a San Jose, CA dealer for $3,900 for the factory
> rebuilt long block. $1,500 for labor.
>
> Four years ago, I did the same thing. Factory long block replacement
> for $2,700 parts and labor.
>
> Seems like I'm getting ripped off.
>
> Anybody done this recently? What did it cost?
>
> I thought 1.6 motors were relatively cheap due to Spec Miata's creating
> a lot of demand.
>
> Thanks, Bill

For that kind of money you can get a long block from Flyin' Miata with
all kinds of goodies...

<URL:http://www.flyinmiata.com/Store/engines.php?option=0>

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 21st 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:29:52 +0000, Lanny Chambers wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "beater 90 miata" > wrote:
>
>> For the $5500 that his dealer wanted, he might as well go buy the whole
>> used 1.6 miata and have money left over.

> For $5500, he could step up to a very nice 1.8.

Speaking of which, how much trouble is it to change to a 1.8 from a 1.6?
Is it simply a bolt in job, or is there much more that has to be changed?
Will the 1.8's just drop in the same place but the same manifolds and ECU
be used? Or is it better to do a complete swap, using newer 1.8 engine,
wiring harness and ECU?
TIA

Old January 21st 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Jon Dough > wrote in
news
> Speaking of which, how much trouble is it to change to a 1.8 from
> a 1.6? Is it simply a bolt in job, or is there much more that has
> to be changed? Will the 1.8's just drop in the same place but the
> same manifolds and ECU be used? Or is it better to do a complete
> swap, using newer 1.8 engine, wiring harness and ECU?

Somewhere on the web there is a complete series of webpages showing how
to do exactly that. Google will find it for you.

Old January 21st 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Jon Dough > wrote:

> Speaking of which, how much trouble is it to change to a 1.8 from a 1.6?
> Is it simply a bolt in job, or is there much more that has to be changed?

All questions answered:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/1.8_conversion.php

FM sells a kit of all the parts you'd need for the conversion.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis