92 miata...won't stop

Old January 13th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 92 miata...won't stop

Hi, I've got a 92 Miata and it's new for me and this is the first winter
I've been driving it. I noticed recently that when I step on the brakes
the car lunges forward.

I almost hit the car in front of me yesterday! The Miata lunged forward
and I stepped on the brakes harder but the car continued to lurch forward
again. It did that three times.

Anyone know why?

Thanks!

Old January 13th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

spyee68 wrote:
> Hi, I've got a 92 Miata and it's new for me and this is the first winter
> I've been driving it. I noticed recently that when I step on the brakes
> the car lunges forward.
>
> I almost hit the car in front of me yesterday! The Miata lunged forward
> and I stepped on the brakes harder but the car continued to lurch forward
> again. It did that three times.
>
> Anyone know why?
>
> Thanks!

Not trying to sound insulting, but you mentioned that the car is new to
you. Is this a manual shift car, and if so, are you experienced at
driving stick shifts?

The reason that I am asking is that the only way the car should be
lurching forward under braking is if it is also receiving power at the
same time.

This is typically done on stick shifts by not releasing the clutch, or
releasing it late; and on automatics by hitting both pedals at once.

I apologize if I have pointed out the obvious.

If it is not related to driving behavior, I would get the car brakes
looked at immediately.

Pat
Old January 13th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article
outautos.com>,
"spyee68" > wrote:

> Hi, I've got a 92 Miata and it's new for me and this is the first winter
> I've been driving it. I noticed recently that when I step on the brakes
> the car lunges forward.

Is this in the snow?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 13th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

If the shocks are bad, the front may dip excessively, and give you the
feeling of lunging foreward. If it is more than that, the whole brake system
including the vacuum booster is suspect.
Sometimes this will happen if the brake proportioning valve changes
position, due to excessive travel in some of the brake pistons. The warning
light may be disconnected from the brake system, or not working, if the 92
had one. (Don't remember). In snow, the front wheels may slide, giving a
sense of braking loss after they start the slide.

Old January 16th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

No, it's an automatic transmission. Do you think this has to do w/the
engine being cold? I was driving at a slow speed and then coming to a
stop when what I described happened.

Old January 16th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thanks. I'm not sure about the shocks; I'll have to check. There was no
snow and the car is an automatic (I'd forgotten to mention that). I've
been told that it needed to warm up and that it was in 'fast idle'. I'll
try braking in Neutral and see how that goes.

Old January 17th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article
outautos.com>,
"spyee68" > wrote:

> ...the car is an automatic (I'd forgotten to mention that).

I'm thinking your foot might be pressing the gas pedal along with the
brake pedal. Have the rear brakes adjusted, which might raise the brake
pedal enough to prevent accidentally hitting the gas. The gas pedal can
also be bent to the right to get it away from the brake--just crawl
under the dash and push it with your hand.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 20th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I'm not an auto mechanic and I do not play one on the Internet. So what
I am about to say is worth what you paid for it. But it is based on
exactly the same sort of symptoms we had with our 97 Nissan Quest. When
the engine was cold and you would press the brakes to stop, it would
lunge forward. In our case there were two problems: when the engine was
cold, even if it had been running and driven for several minutes, the
idling mechanism was sticking in an open position. So the engine was
running faster and torquing higher than it should have, engaging the
clutch on the automatic transmission. Second, the brakes needed
adjustment. So when we would stop after starting the car and driving it
for less than 10-25 minutes, then coming to a stop, the engine would
still be revving at a higher speed than it should have, the automatic
transmission would not disengage and the car would lurch forward.

I'm guessing the idling mechanism is your primary problem. No matter
how good the brakes, if a cold engine is still revving too fast it will
be hard to keep the car stopped. A good mechanic should be able to
remedy for not much money. While you're there, get the brakes checked.

Al Henkerman

Old January 20th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thank you! That is exactly it! Or I think it is-the symptoms are the
same. I'm not stepping on the gas pedal by accident......I swear it!

Thanks for your posting.

Cheers!