Fuel Injectors??

Old July 27th 05, 12:42 PM

Default Fuel Injectors??

My 91 Caravan 3.3 (99k mi) is starting to exhibit a hard starting
problem. It ususally takes to tries on the starter to get it going.
Once it starts, it runs fine. The fuel pump/filter has been changed
recently. Could this be an injector problem? Would an injector that's
going south produce a fault code?

Old July 27th 05, 04:35 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 wrote:

> My 91 Caravan 3.3 (99k mi) is starting to exhibit a hard starting
> problem. It ususally takes to tries on the starter to get it going.
> Once it starts, it runs fine.

Several different things can cause extended-crank conditions. One of the
most common is system pressure loss after shutdown. There's a check valve
in the fuel pump that stops fuel draining back through the pump. Sometimes
that check valve fails and allows drainback, but you say your fuel pump is
a recent replacement, so that's not likely to be the problem.

A faulty fuel pressure regulator can bleed pressure off and make it
difficult to start the engine after sitting.

Faulty fuel injectors can leak fuel into the cylinders and make it *very*
difficult to start the engine after sitting due not only to unpressurized
system but also cylinder flooding.

Neither of these faults would set any kind of a code, so your first step
is a fuel pressure gauge installed on the fuel rail and watched during
cranking, during running, and periodically for the 2 or 3 hours following
shutdown.

The problem, of course, is not necessarily as described above.
Insufficient voltage to the fuel pump or SBEC during cranking will cause
an extended-crank hard start condition. This can be due to a marginal
battery, high resistance in any of many electrical connections (battery
cable, power disconnect, SBEC, etc.), excessive starter current draw, a
faulty ignition switch, and a few other causes.

Step-by-step systematic diagnosis, once again, is the way to find and fix
this problem.
Old July 27th 05, 08:37 PM
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 91 Caravan 3.3 (99k mi) is starting to exhibit a hard starting
> problem. It ususally takes to tries on the starter to get it going.
> Once it starts, it runs fine. The fuel pump/filter has been changed
> recently. Could this be an injector problem? Would an injector that's
> going south produce a fault code?

More then likely its the check valve in the fuel pump letting the fuel drain
back to the tank causing no fuel in the rail to the injectors.
The simple check would be before starting the engine cycle the key on for 3
seconds then off then on then off, that will cause the fuel pump to energize
and supply fuel to the injectors, now start the engine... My guess is that
it will start right up each time you try this.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 28th 05, 08:31 PM
Bob

I changed a fuel pump and filter on my '96 Sebring CV, and had the
exact same problem for about a week afterward. I then filled the tank
to the very top, and the problem went away immediately. I think that
the fuel system must have had an air pocket in it somewhere. It has
been perfect ever since. I know of one other person who suffered the
same malady after a fuel pump replacement.

Old July 29th 05, 06:53 PM
ncs

I have the same problem on my 1993 3.3 GV. The fuel pump died last year and
I had it replaced. Sometimes it will start fine other times it takes a few
tries. I have noticed recently when it does start it acts as if there's
excess fuel in the cylinder, because it almost sounds like a backfire. Is
it possible 1 or more injectors are leaking, causing the hard start, and
when cranking, it's filling the cylinder with fuel and then when it fires
you get the 'explosion' from a little too much fuel ? Checked and replaced
the relays and they replaced the fuel filter when they replaced the pump. I
haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet. Those things are expensive to use 1
or two times.

thanks,
nick