Car vibration

Old August 2nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Car vibration

I invested in a set of Nokian all-season tires last October and hit
the 5k mark last month. After the tires were rotated, the car
vibrates when we reach about 45-50mph. I thought that maybe one was
out of balance, or lost a weight, so I took it back to the store where
I bought them (and had them rotated), and they re-balanced them but
the problem remains.

I found out later that they did not test drive the car to see if the
vibration remained, which seems odd to me and makes concerned about
going back there for more diagnostics.

What are other probably causes of vibration when the car reaches 45mph
or so?

Would the rebalance rule out a bad tire? The store was sold to a
franchise and the tires were expensive, so I'm concerned that if it is
a bad tire I'm going to have to replace a set that is less than 1 year
and 5k old.

TIA,
Dave
Old August 2nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message news:f78c8794-dc81-4c9a-a981-
> Would the rebalance rule out a bad tire?

No. It could still be a bad tire.
Old August 2nd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
the fly

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 06:07:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I invested in a set of Nokian all-season tires last October and hit
>the 5k mark last month. After the tires were rotated, the car
>vibrates when we reach about 45-50mph. I thought that maybe one was
>out of balance, or lost a weight, so I took it back to the store where
>I bought them (and had them rotated), and they re-balanced them but
>the problem remains.
>
>I found out later that they did not test drive the car to see if the
>vibration remained, which seems odd to me and makes concerned about
>going back there for more diagnostics.
>
>What are other probably causes of vibration when the car reaches 45mph
>or so?
>
>Would the rebalance rule out a bad tire? The store was sold to a
>franchise and the tires were expensive, so I'm concerned that if it is
>a bad tire I'm going to have to replace a set that is less than 1 year
>and 5k old.
>
>TIA,
>Dave

It could also be a bent wheel rim.
Old August 3rd 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

a speed sensitive vibration sounds like a balancing problem. was it ok
before you rotated the tires? did you include the spare in the
rotation?
Old August 3rd 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Aug 3, 12:44 pm, wrote:
> a speed sensitive vibration sounds like a balancing problem. was it ok
> before you rotated the tires? did you include the spare in the
> rotation?

Everything was fine before the rotation.

Although, no, I did not include the spare in the rotation, but that is
a good point. Not that including the spare was part of the rotation,
but that I did not think of buying a fifth tire as a space.

Old August 3rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_2_]

> wrote in message
> On Aug 3, 12:44 pm, wrote:
>> a speed sensitive vibration sounds like a balancing problem. was it ok
>> before you rotated the tires? did you include the spare in the
>> rotation?

> Everything was fine before the rotation.
>
> Although, no, I did not include the spare in the rotation, but that is
> a good point. Not that including the spare was part of the rotation,
> but that I did not think of buying a fifth tire as a space.

Tom, did they reverse rotation direction when they rotated? If so, wear
pattern may be the culprit. CAREFULLY drag your hand around the
circumference of the tires--in both directions. Do you feel a 'drag' on
your fingers in one direction--esp. on the tires that WERE on the pulling
axles before? If so, often when that drag is reversed, it causes tires to
vibrate as you describe. Also, quite often re-rotating them, where they end
up(as compared to originally) front-to-rear on both sides, and re-balancing
will help.
Most tires your brand I've seen are ~17-inch, (semi?) high performance,
and highly susceptible to balance issues. I'd be hesitant to "X" them
during rotation. s

93 V8 vibration [email protected] Ford Explorer 1 April 12th 07 02:01 AM
vibration orlin Jeep 3 December 27th 06 02:17 AM
E39 vibration. Mike G BMW 10 October 26th 06 02:42 PM
Vibration at 75mph, Not rims or tires, no vibration in steering wheel [email protected] Technology 7 September 23rd 05 12:53 AM
vibration myles31 Audi 1 April 4th 05 09:58 AM