"Your car doesn't HAVE a pcv valve"

Old February 5th 16, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
geo pearl

Default "Your car doesn't HAVE a pcv valve"

I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to
get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000
miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve
replaced since I was driving around with the
factory original.

The blonde girl that logged me into their
system came back and told me that my car didn't
have one! Is this possible? Thanks.

2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.
Old February 5th 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 2/5/2016 1:03 PM, geo pearl wrote:
> I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to
> get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000
> miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve
> replaced since I was driving around with the
> factory original.
>
> The blonde girl that logged me into their
> system came back and told me that my car didn't
> have one! Is this possible? Thanks.
>
> 2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.

If not, for $8.98 you can certainly buy one:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...pcv_valve.html

Or maybe even $7.98, page isn't clear on that point.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old February 5th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 2/5/16 2:14 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/5/2016 1:03 PM, geo pearl wrote:
>> I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to
>> get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000
>> miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve
>> replaced since I was driving around with the
>> factory original.
>>
>> The blonde girl that logged me into their
>> system came back and told me that my car didn't
>> have one! Is this possible? Thanks.
>>
>> 2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.
>>

> If not, for $8.98 you can certainly buy one:
>
> http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...pcv_valve.html
>

> Or maybe even $7.98, page isn't clear on that point.

The 7.98 version is for a V-6; the the 8.98 is for the I-4
Old February 5th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 3:39:44 PM UTC-6, Retired wrote:
> On 2/5/16 2:14 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> > On 2/5/2016 1:03 PM, geo pearl wrote:
> >> I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to
> >> get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000
> >> miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve
> >> replaced since I was driving around with the
> >> factory original.
> >>
> >> The blonde girl that logged me into their
> >> system came back and told me that my car didn't
> >> have one! Is this possible? Thanks.
> >>
> >> 2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.
> >>

> > If not, for $8.98 you can certainly buy one:
> >
> > http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...pcv_valve.html
> >

> > Or maybe even $7.98, page isn't clear on that point.

> The 7.98 version is for a V-6; the the 8.98 is for the I-4

The prices for those things sure have gone up. I remember when they was nienty seven cents, or less. I spritz some carburetor cleaner in mine and shake it and put it back on there.
Old February 6th 16, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

geo pearl wrote:
> I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to
> get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000
> miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve
> replaced since I was driving around with the
> factory original.
>
> The blonde girl that logged me into their
> system came back and told me that my car didn't
> have one! Is this possible? Thanks.
>
> 2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.

It has one, but it is not listed as a service item in Nissans'
maintenance schedule for that car.

It screws into the valve cover below the intake manifold and to replace
it the intake has to be removed to gain access.

--
Steve W.
Old February 7th 16, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 6:29:10 AM UTC-6, Steve W. wrote:
> geo pearl wrote:
> > I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to
> > get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000
> > miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve
> > replaced since I was driving around with the
> > factory original.
> >
> > The blonde girl that logged me into their
> > system came back and told me that my car didn't
> > have one! Is this possible? Thanks.
> >
> > 2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.

> It has one, but it is not listed as a service item in Nissans'
> maintenance schedule for that car.
>
> It screws into the valve cover below the intake manifold and to replace
> it the intake has to be removed to gain access.
>
> --
> Steve W.

My 1978 Dodge van and my 1983 Dodge van have a rubber grommet on one of the valve covers. The PCV valve is very easy to pull out and remove.
Old February 14th 16, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

geo perl:

Perhaps she's suggesting your vehicle is
missing one. Some vehicles have more
than one PCV.
Old February 25th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

This topic got me interested, and I did some reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankc...ilation_system

Points of note:

So before the PCV was invented, internal combustion engines mostly used something called a "road draft tube." It used the slipstream when moving to draw air out of the crankcase (you can immediately see the problem when the vehicle wasn't moving). This had the unfortunate side effect of dumping unburned hydrocarbons (from cylinder blow-by) straight to the atmosphere, and was a major source of smog.

The PCV was originally invented for tanks, so they could ford rivers etc. without water getting in the crankcase. It also had the benefits of reducing emissions, and keeping the inside of the crankcase cleaner. Use in automobiles took off in the 1960s, with California requiring it from the 1961 model year.

So anyone who tells you a modern internal combustion engine doesn't have some kind of PCV valve or similar crankcase ventilation setup, probably doesn't know what they're talking about. The EPA would not be amused, to say the least.
Old February 25th 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 10:46:00 AM UTC-6, Jc Maxwell wrote:
> This topic got me interested, and I did some reading:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankc...ilation_system
>
> Points of note:
>
> So before the PCV was invented, internal combustion engines mostly used something called a "road draft tube." It used the slipstream when moving to draw air out of the crankcase (you can immediately see the problem when the vehicle wasn't moving). This had the unfortunate side effect of dumping unburned hydrocarbons (from cylinder blow-by) straight to the atmosphere, and was a major source of smog.
>
> The PCV was originally invented for tanks, so they could ford rivers etc. without water getting in the crankcase. It also had the benefits of reducing emissions, and keeping the inside of the crankcase cleaner. Use in automobiles took off in the 1960s, with California requiring it from the 1961 model year.
>
> So anyone who tells you a modern internal combustion engine doesn't have some kind of PCV valve or similar crankcase ventilation setup, probably doesn't know what they're talking about. The EPA would not be amused, to say the least.

This morning on my way to the food store I saw a different kind of blow by. That blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe of that pickup truck. It looked like it was fogging the whole neighborhood.
Old February 26th 16, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

History of PCV Valves. and then I saw another real Good website, www.secondchancegarage.com ...Rose doesn't have a second hand heart.....