Whoda thunk it

Old October 25th 12, 04:38 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Whoda thunk it

GM is reusing the engine designation LT1 for their 2014 Corvette
engine. Massive head changes along with more tweaking of the
piston/rod design. Interesting intake runners feeding into large head
ports between exhaust and intake valves that have traded places.(?)
Valves were also cocked to make room for those bigger runners and
required the long lost eyebrows in the piston tops. Not a huge HP/TQ
increase maybe 450 with a 6,500 RPM red line/fuel-c/o. Like most GM
engines it will have VVT but I still don't get a clear understanding
as to how their system works yet.

Never got into the LT5 and only drove it twice and now the base
Corvette engine makes it rather ho-hum. Plus it hasn't held it's King
of the Hill position very well with the present push rod engine that
turns out 22% more HP and this new one will be closing up on that gap
at 11% in base form.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 29th 12, 02:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> GM is reusing the engine designation LT1 for their 2014 Corvette engine.
> Massive head changes along with more tweaking of the piston/rod design.
> Interesting intake runners feeding into large head ports between exhaust
> and intake valves that have traded places.(?) Valves were also cocked to
> make room for those bigger runners and required the long lost eyebrows in
> the piston tops. Not a huge HP/TQ increase maybe 450 with a 6,500 RPM red
> line/fuel-c/o. Like most GM engines it will have VVT but I still don't get
> a clear understanding as to how their system works yet.
>
> Never got into the LT5 and only drove it twice and now the base Corvette
> engine makes it rather ho-hum. Plus it hasn't held it's King of the Hill
> position very well with the present push rod engine that turns out 22%
> more HP and this new one will be closing up on that gap at 11% in base
> form.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

When you find out how the VVT works, let us all know. I am curious if you
get it on both the intake and exhaust.

Old October 29th 12, 05:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"uncle_vito" > wrote in message
.com...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> GM is reusing the engine designation LT1 for their 2014 Corvette
>> engine. Massive head changes along with more tweaking of the
>> piston/rod design. Interesting intake runners feeding into large
>> head ports between exhaust and intake valves that have traded
>> places.(?) Valves were also cocked to make room for those bigger
>> runners and required the long lost eyebrows in the piston tops. Not
>> a huge HP/TQ increase maybe 450 with a 6,500 RPM red line/fuel-c/o.
>> Like most GM engines it will have VVT but I still don't get a clear
>> understanding as to how their system works yet.
>>
>> Never got into the LT5 and only drove it twice and now the base
>> Corvette engine makes it rather ho-hum. Plus it hasn't held it's
>> King of the Hill position very well with the present push rod
>> engine that turns out 22% more HP and this new one will be closing
>> up on that gap at 11% in base form.
>>
>> --
>> Dad
>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

> When you find out how the VVT works, let us all know. I am curious
> if you get it on both the intake and exhaust.

Sorry about that, I should have said "Like most GM engines it will
have VVT but I still don't get a clear understanding as to how well
their system works yet." Since it is most like Toyota's they went the
simplest way rather than the cam in cam or the more obvious DOHC. I
think they spent way to much time building a system that will allow
retrofit to the LSX engines but it does get close to 20% HP per cubic
inch.

Old October 29th 12, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> .com...
>>
>> "Dad" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> GM is reusing the engine designation LT1 for their 2014 Corvette
>>> engine. Massive head changes along with more tweaking of the
>>> piston/rod design. Interesting intake runners feeding into large
>>> head ports between exhaust and intake valves that have traded
>>> places.(?) Valves were also cocked to make room for those bigger
>>> runners and required the long lost eyebrows in the piston tops.
>>> Not a huge HP/TQ increase maybe 450 with a 6,500 RPM red
>>> line/fuel-c/o. Like most GM engines it will have VVT but I still
>>> don't get a clear understanding as to how their system works yet.
>>>
>>> Never got into the LT5 and only drove it twice and now the base
>>> Corvette engine makes it rather ho-hum. Plus it hasn't held it's
>>> King of the Hill position very well with the present push rod
>>> engine that turns out 22% more HP and this new one will be closing
>>> up on that gap at 11% in base form.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dad
>>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

>> When you find out how the VVT works, let us all know. I am curious
>> if you get it on both the intake and exhaust.
>>

> Sorry about that, I should have said "Like most GM engines it will
> have VVT but I still don't get a clear understanding as to how well
> their system works yet." Since it is most like Toyota's they went
> the simplest way rather than the cam in cam or the more obvious
> DOHC. I think they spent way to much time building a system that
> will allow retrofit to the LSX engines but it does get close to 20%
> HP per cubic inch increase. (correction)

I did get into some of the design criteria for the GM VVT and find the
valve timing changes enough to be some of the reason behind the piston
eyebrows. It's still a solid cam and only changes lobe to piston
relationship, some of the other designs allow lobe to lobe angle
changes. I'm sure there will be a number of these designs fall by the
wayside as their benefits, costs, and durability will dictate their
life span.

Old October 30th 12, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

"Dad" > wrote in message
news

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>> .com...
>>>
>>> "Dad" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> When you find out how the VVT works, let us all know. I am curious if
>>> you get it on both the intake and exhaust.
>>>

>> Sorry about that, I should have said "Like most GM engines it will have
>> VVT but I still don't get a clear understanding as to how well their
>> system works yet." Since it is most like Toyota's they went the simplest
>> way rather than the cam in cam or the more obvious DOHC. I think they
>> spent way to much time building a system that will allow retrofit to the
>> LSX engines but it does get close to 20% HP per cubic inch increase.
>> (correction)
>>

> I did get into some of the design criteria for the GM VVT and find the
> valve timing changes enough to be some of the reason behind the piston
> eyebrows. It's still a solid cam and only changes lobe to piston
> relationship, some of the other designs allow lobe to lobe angle changes.
> I'm sure there will be a number of these designs fall by the wayside as
> their benefits, costs, and durability will dictate their life span.

Thanks for the update.