Interesting problem solved

Old November 3rd 10, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
chaniarts[_2_]

Default Interesting problem solved

I've had this problem with my 94 for about 4-5 years now.

It had a high speed miss. Running at 65 in 6th, when punching the gas it
would stumble badly. it didn't happen very often, and downshifting first
solved it, so it wasn't very pressing to fix. I took it in about 6 years ago
for this, and they first blamed me for lugging the engine. After I
demonstrated it by taking the service mgr out and nearly putting him through
the windshield, they then blamed it on bad plug wires. After replacing those
without fixing the problem, they then blamed it on the Optispark. When they
showed that to me, it did have some rust in it so they blamed it on the
leaky waterpump, which it was. That seemed to have lessened it greatly.

Fast forward 4 years of having this intermittant problem:

It recently developed a hard start and a hunting idle. I thought this was
either a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel regulator. Not having a pressure gauge,
I had the mechanic check when it went in for it's normal oil change. The
regulator wouldn't hold any pressure (a rapid drop to 0psi) once the
ignition was turned off.

When they removed the regulator, raw fuel dripped out of the vacuum line.
After replacement, the problem went away.

Conclusion: if they say it's an optispark, check the fuel regulator first.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Solved my break problem Mike West VW air cooled 2 March 10th 07 05:58 PM
Civic problem solved! Ropert's Aloha Honda 8 December 21st 04 01:31 AM
Civic problem solved! Ropert's Aloha Technology 11 December 21st 04 01:31 AM
Problem solved Dave Chrysler 2 October 31st 04 08:46 PM
Solved my own problem... Blah Blah Saturn 1 September 11th 04 01:21 AM