What could have happened?????

Old September 28th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Programbo

Default What could have happened?????

Oy. OK I changed the head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket today on my
Jeep 4.0. It fired up fine but I seemed to be smelling/seeing exhaust
up near the engine (By this time it was completely dark) But the
engine was idling fine as if all 6 cylinders were fine..OK good. I was
happy. I drove around the block to the gas station and filled up and
it drove just fine...After adding some gas it started up but when I
put it in drive and gave it gas it started struggling and sputtering
along as if it was starving for fuel. I made it back up to the lot and
found that if I drove in reverse or just reved the engine in park it
ran perfectly but as soon as I pout it in drive and gave it gas it
would start the struggling. I tried to make it home but the Jeep would
go from running ok to sputtering again. I finally had to stop at a red
light at the bottom of a big hill and it couldn`t make it up the
hill..I rolled back down and then found it would stall out as soon as
I started it...I finally got it to stay running after 5-6 attempts but
even with the peddle to the floor it was only going like 3 MPH..I just
pushed it off the road and left it there for the night..I am so upset
and disappointed...Knowing all that had to be taken off and
reinstalled for the cylinder head job can anyone thing what could
possibly have gone wrong to result in the syptoms I`ve described? I
did all the gaskets, torquing patterns, everything back where it
started by the book. There are no error codes showing up :-(
Old September 28th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Programbo

PS: I found a little sensor of some sort all the way at the back of
the intake manifold near the firewall which seems to have been broken
during the repair..I can`t find it anywhere in my Haynes manual to
even see what it`s for.
Old September 28th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nicholas[_3_]

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:38:54 -0700 (PDT), Programbo
> wrote:

>PS: I found a little sensor of some sort all the way at the back of
>the intake manifold near the firewall which seems to have been broken
>during the repair..I can`t find it anywhere in my Haynes manual to
>even see what it`s for.

Go to Autozone website, find your vehicle/engine, and maybe they have
an online manual for it that shows you what the part is for. Nothing
to lose but a few minutes of your time.

Nick

Old September 28th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Programbo wrote:
> PS: I found a little sensor of some sort all the way at the back of
> the intake manifold near the firewall which seems to have been broken
> during the repair..I can`t find it anywhere in my Haynes manual to
> even see what it`s for.

There is a manifold air temp switch at the back of the manifold screwed
in the top of it. This may make it stay in 'choke' mode and flood out
after it warms up if broken. Haynes page 6-19, photo 11.26. I would be
guessing this might be the trouble.

There is also a sensor at the top of the tranny bell housing right there
that will stop it from running right, it is the CPS. This one can fail
with no codes also.
Old September 29th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Sep 27, 5:55 pm, Programbo > wrote:
> Oy. OK I changed the head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket today on my

I would go back over everything you disconnected... double check all
grounds!
HTH
Ben

It happened.. Manu Mazda 8 October 2nd 07 02:06 AM
What Happened Jim Mc Donald Mazda 2 January 8th 07 10:19 PM
What happened to AWD? Piperson Chrysler 14 December 31st 05 08:46 PM
What happened? Alias Ford Mustang 10 June 4th 05 07:09 AM