Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette

Old August 10th 04, 05:37 PM
Tom in Missouri

Default Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette

"Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message

> No, no, no..... If you call ANY tire manufacturer and ask him what to
> inflate the tire to he will ask you, "What does your car say in the

manual,
> or on the MFG label inside the door?"

You call and tell him it says 20 psi. See what he says.

it is a 30 year old car, based on 30 year old radial tire technology. It
has changed greatly. Your manufacturer makes that statement assuming you
have a MODERN, current car, not a 30 year old antique.

Old August 10th 04, 06:57 PM
Dad

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message
> >
> > No, no, no..... If you call ANY tire manufacturer and ask him what to
> > inflate the tire to he will ask you, "What does your car say in the

> manual,
> > or on the MFG label inside the door?"

> You call and tell him it says 20 psi. See what he says.
>
> it is a 30 year old car, based on 30 year old radial tire technology. It
> has changed greatly. Your manufacturer makes that statement assuming you
> have a MODERN, current car, not a 30 year old antique.

He still won't tell you Tom, they will tell you to go by the automobile
manufactures recommendation. The lawyers have struck again. It comes back to
what you said earlier, you need to apply some logic to get the right
pressure in a non typical application of a radial tire. I try to get an even
pattern on tread contact patch and work from there. Works for me on the '72
and the pressure is nowhere near the pressure that I used when I put my
first set of radials on my '61 back in '65. They were take offs that were on
a '63 that scared the drive and he would not drive that car any more until
they were removed. Good deal for me, I loved them. The first set of radials
I put on my '67 Chevelle station wagon was a bit of an adventure until we
got them right, and then Goodyear recalled them and we had to start all over
again. I have bias WWW on my '50 Chevrolet coupe and some time I'd like to
switch to radials to see just how much it would change the handling on that
ancient chassis.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 11th 04, 04:21 PM
Diode

Dad spoke thusly:

> again. I have bias WWW on my '50 Chevrolet coupe and some time I'd like to
> switch to radials to see just how much it would change the handling on that
> ancient chassis.

I get a bit of "radial steer" on my 68. Very, very slight drift. We
are going to switch the tires around and see if it goes away. Other
than that, I couldn't be hapier with the radials. I had Firestone Wide
Oval bias plys and switched to Goodyear Eagle GTIIs.

--

Shut up, Dave.

'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville