Small hole too close to sidewall...

Old February 23rd 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Wood Roach

Default Small hole too close to sidewall...

Just looking for a tire expert opinon as to whether this hole is
repariable. Tire shop said no and I can't find another tire like this
one anywhere - so now I'm looking at 4 new ones!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/MSRoach/...ain2556017EBay

Thanks,
Mike
Old February 24th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Wood Roach wrote:
> Just looking for a tire expert opinon as to whether this hole is
> repariable. Tire shop said no and I can't find another tire like this
> one anywhere - so now I'm looking at 4 new ones!!!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/MSRoach/...ain2556017EBay
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

does this tire shop have an interest in selling you a bunch of new
tires? yes? so are they, in any way, likely to be biased in what they
tell you?

bottom line - that penetration is within the radial banding of the tire
and is therefore repairable. find a cheapo mexican tire shop on the
poor side of town that sells used tires - you'll get it fixed no problem.

ps. - safety first:
since you have the tire off, you can see inside. look to see if the
penetrant scraped up the inside of the side wall. if it did, and
there's any trace of sidewall cord breakage, do not repair. otherwise,
you have a green.
Old February 24th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Wood Roach wrote:
> Just looking for a tire expert opinon as to whether this hole is
> repariable. Tire shop said no and I can't find another tire like this
> one anywhere - so now I'm looking at 4 new ones!!!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/MSRoach/...ain2556017EBay
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

----------------------

As long as the offending weapon has been removed, put a proper patch on
it _from the inside_ and all will be OK.

'Curly'
Old February 24th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuckie Finzter[_2_]

"motsco_" > wrote in message
> Wood Roach wrote:
>> Just looking for a tire expert opinon as to whether this hole is
>> repariable. Tire shop said no and I can't find another tire like this
>> one anywhere - so now I'm looking at 4 new ones!!!
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/MSRoach/...ain2556017EBay
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

> ----------------------
>
> As long as the offending weapon has been removed, put a proper patch on it
> _from the inside_ and all will be OK.
>
> 'Curly'

Strictly speaking, you should get a new tyre cos it's too close to the side
wall (think within 20mm of edge of tread is a replacement) so the tyre shop
is correct, but also wants you to buy from them. However, like Jim said ,
shop around and you should be able to get it repaired, I have in the past.

Hope This Helps?

CF

Old February 24th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Wood Roach > wrote in news:968e05e9-d8ec-4fb7-bd72-
:

> Just looking for a tire expert opinon as to whether this hole is
> repariable. Tire shop said no and I can't find another tire like this
> one anywhere - so now I'm looking at 4 new ones!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/MSRoach/...ain2556017EBay

No reputable tire shop will fix that hole. It's way too close to the
sidewall.

The problem is that it's in an area where there is lots of flex, so any
patch/plug will eventually loosen, likely allowing sudden deflation at
speed.

You don't have to replace all four, just the two on that axle. Just make
sure the replacements have a tread pattern fairly similar to the originals.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 24th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester

"Tegger" wrote

> You don't have to replace all four, just the two on that axle. Just make
> sure the replacements have a tread pattern fairly similar to the
> originals.

Agreed. And the good one on that axle can be kept for a spare.

Old February 26th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

Yea, it is only his life in jeopardy..

t...

Old March 3rd 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
StephenW

As with the others I agree. no repair. the rule of thumb at the last job was
1/2 inch (or was it 1/4?). Anyway, the tire shops have there level of
liability to watch out for. Reasonable, a good patch would hold, but they
are covering their butt.

Red sidewall tires James Goforth Dodge 1 September 5th 06 05:55 PM
sidewall tire cut CanadianCowboy© Technology 1 March 26th 06 06:19 PM
small hole in plastic window [email protected] Mazda 12 July 29th 05 07:08 AM
Small hole in gas tank filler pipe. Denny B Technology 5 April 28th 05 04:30 AM