help 1990 zr-1

Old September 25th 05, 08:41 PM
RicSeyler

Like I said Tom, I'm just a talking head when it comes down to actually
going
through looking for LT5 parts, cuz I haven't done it. But I sure have
read about it
and heard about it.... FWIW a ZF tranny (they are non-ZR1 specific) and even
a complete LT5 aren't what I'm taking about. But I digress.....

And my statement isn't a hack against a ZR1 at all and wasn't intended
as such,
they are very fine autos with a valid reputation. A person would be
lucky and
fortunate to own one. But if I was to be buying one I would research
what I've read
and heard right up front. Especially if I was interested in going club
racing. But I don't see
too many people cracking the head between the exhaust valves, putting a
piston through
a skirt on the block or breaking a crank and main cap gusset driving it
around on Sundays
and to shows and such.

When it comes down to it, maybe they just had to fill mag space or it's
just gossip I've heard
and read. Dunno, haven't been through it.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old September 25th 05, 08:48 PM
RicSeyler

Oh and I guess it's true you could start buying whole cars for a broken head
or broken block skirt or main gussets, etc but I doubt most owners could
afford
to do $18,000-$30,000 or so for a head replacement or a block
replacement. But in
that sense you are absolutely correct. I guess a part isn't scarce if
you can afford
to buy a whole car to get a spare engine part.

I think the street rodders and club racing groups have already snatched
up most of the
the "rearended or rolled" ZR1's a person could get for $10,000 - $19,000
range.

Old September 29th 05, 06:24 PM
Crabs

rebco10 wrote:
> I know all about owning and driving corvettes. I take my 96 out
> whenever I can. Also looking at a 99.
>
> Anyway, I have an opportunity to pick up a 90 ZR1 in the mid 30's. I
> do not know much about the zr1's. I have a 96 lt4 and have read that
> they are similar. I love my 96 but it is not a kick ass fast car. It
> is a great cruiser with some balls.
>
> Anyway, the zr1 would strictly be an investment, not for driving.
> Please offer your input, it is valued.
>
> Ralph

Ralph:

To sum it up,
The good:
Great car, great performance, great looks, make you feel like a kid again.
The bad:
Probably not a great investment if you're goal is ROI. There's a 50-50
chance the price may go higher or lower. ;-)
The ugly:
At today's prices you're getting a much better deal than the guys and
gals that paid premium prices when they bought these cars new off the
showroom floor.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
Old September 29th 05, 09:17 PM
Charlie Funk

Anyway, the zr1 would strictly be an investment, not for driving.

At $30K it isn't especially a good investment. If a ZR-1 is the only thing
you will cnsider, and you have patience, keep an eye out for someone who HAS
to get out from under one and I suspect you will pick one up for $20K or
less in the next 3 - 5 years. In another 10 years, the price will probably
be up.

Charlie

ups.com...

Old March 10th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default help 1990 zr-1

Cars are rarely a good investment. I picked up my ZR 1 because I couldn't
pass up the price. No matter where I go it attracts crowds - expecially the
Lotus 32 Valve LT5 - we are very active in ZR1 net and these things are
built like a Rock - that is why Chevy had MercCrusier hand build the
engines - no one is having head cam or block issues - if you find a low
miler -- BUY IT-- it is definitely a sleeper and with the 16 injectors gives
you that throw back feeling like kicking in the three deuces -- Especially
fun eating up C5s --- Great cruiser --- see you at the ZR1 Gathering at
Bowling Green May '06

Gene
1990 ZR! R/R #1433
ups.com...

Old March 10th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

You say cars are not a good investment.....I have a 1967 Shelby Mustang
GT-500 that I paid $700 for in 1973...car will now bring
$200,000-$250,000..I screwd up and sold my 1966 Shelby for $5,000..around
1980 or so.now it too is worth $60,000-$100,000..and you think cars are a
bad investment...????

And then there is my 1973 Pantera...still being restored...bought new for
$7,500 ( dealer close out )..will soon be worth $40,000+