Do both Cooling fans operate simultaneously on a C5?

Old August 8th 04, 04:19 PM
Tedd Riggs

Default Do both Cooling fans operate simultaneously on a C5?

I have the optional "Run Cool" on my C5, so mine is a wimp compared to Dad's
<g>

>Fans start low speed at 226 C ( 438.8 F )
>go on to high speed at 235 C ( 455 F )
>low speed with the ignition off at 284 C. ( 543.2 F )

The fans are wired in parellel, so both should be the same speed.
On mine:
Any temperature when you turn the AC on, they come on low speed (cannot hear
them inside or outside the car)
About 220 F, they come on low.
About 230 F, they go to high, but this is the hottest the car has ever run.
Never have had them stay on after the car was turned off. (or maybe did not
hear them, but the times I checked them, they were always off)

Speaking of...Just noticed the C6 is missing the E/M (English/Metric)
button. I have had alot of fun when a newbie to vettes is on the passenger
side asks how fast it takes to get to 60 and I tell them to watch the
Speedometer as I hit the E/M when they are not looking <g> and I hit "130"
(km/h) or about 80 mi/h......They watch the speedo and never notice it
really reading km/h <g>
Mean to do, but fun !

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA

Old August 8th 04, 05:29 PM
Dad

"Tedd Riggs" > wrote in message
news
> I have the optional "Run Cool" on my C5, so mine is a wimp compared to

Dad's
> <g>
>
> >Fans start low speed at 226 C ( 438.8 F )
> >go on to high speed at 235 C ( 455 F )
> >low speed with the ignition off at 284 C. ( 543.2 F )

How do you know my car doesn't glow in the dark? ;-] I even unlocked some of
the dickheads that I have blocked to see who wanted to show their math
ability in place of understanding. Couldn't find them so it's of no matter
anyhow and not worth my time right now.

Actually the original poster touched a soft spot when he ask me "Since you
have a C5, how about checking your fans when the engine is hot and report
back?", plus the "Manual is silent..." remark didn't help much. Got to get
up off the couch and do something for yourself or you can wet yourself. I
must admit that I should never suggest that someone should spend money or
energy when they can get it for free. My mood wasn't very good that night
and it would have been prudent for me to have just kept my mouth shut. I've
looked up a number of item in my manuals in the past because I was learning
also. Now I think that time and effort is best used for my own vehicles. One
of the first encounters I had was someone named "dave" that was sure the
crossover pipe on the C5 was up front by the engine. I even took a pictures
and sent them to him and got an argument that he was still right.

I like to help people when I can and go out of my way to do so to a fault.
I'm to old to change my ways but still not to old to temper them.
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 8th 04, 05:56 PM
Dad

"C5Guy" > wrote in message
> Hey Dad......best of luck to your boy, you and the rest of the family

Hey, thanks for your thoughts, we can use all the luck we can get.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 9th 04, 02:25 AM
wdlanning

Tedd,
Thanks...very helpful reply.

news

Old August 10th 04, 03:48 AM
Tedd Riggs

Hi Dad,
Hope I was not on the blocked list !

Gee I thought that Blue Glow that passed thru Roswell was just another
alien ship checking us out for intelligent life, but must have been a Blue
2004 C5 CE <g>

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA

Old August 10th 04, 05:18 AM
Tedd Riggs

Hi Wayne,
Hope it helped a little bit.
Actually with the new engine designs, 220 F is still not that bad. If my 69
Chevelle SS ever hit that I was in trouble!

Couple of things. I think there is a 10 amp fuse between the fans in a fused
link. I tried to trace the wiring but could not find it. Sounds to me like
one bad fan, but according to the local dealer they almost never fail. I
would check the connections and it you get a Voltmeter in on the bad fan
(watch out for fingers...) that would tell you right away if its a fan or
connection issue. Don't check just the + terminal for 12 volts, make sure
the ground really goes to a grounded surface.Vettes are famous for bad
ground connections.
Other thought might be a lower thermostat. Stock C5 is 192 deg, lot of
people with temperature issues drop that to a lower temp. The 175 degree
one is pretty popular and can be purchased via Mid-America (www.madvet.com)
or Ecklers has a 170 degree version also for about the same price. (
http://www.ecklers.com) Part # 36088

If you are in the mood to spend more money, you can get a electronic
controller that lets you set when the fans come on.
Ecklers calls it a "VHP Constant Monitor Fan Controller" and plugs into the
cooling system harness and runs about $200.
Part# 37516

Most any of the "vette stores" sell about the same thing. Those are just a
few examples. Also anyone that has a codereader/tuner (Hypertech is one of
the more popular) They are kinda pricey ($300-$400) but can add some real
power by reprogramming the engines control. They also can change the temps
that the fans come on. http://www.hypertech.com/ or more details
http://www.hypertech.com/programmer.html They also sell low-temp
thermostats.

If its running hot, turn on the AC, that should force the fans on high.
If you still only have a single fan, there might be enough play in the
harness to switch connectors between the fans (think you have to cut the
shielding back to do this) but if the fan that is not working still does not
work, pretty good chance its a bad fan (around $60-$80). I would go with
getting the second fan working first. If that does not drop the temp enough
then probably go with the lower temp. thermostat. Also make sure that
middle section of your front spoiler is intach. If not or its missing, then
you lose alot of cooling air.

Well that's the major thoughts I had. Hope you get it cooler as mine runs
much better when 195 or below.
Tedd

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA

Old August 10th 04, 04:04 PM
Dad

"Tedd Riggs" > wrote in message
> Hi Wayne,
> Hope it helped a little bit.
> Actually with the new engine designs, 220 F is still not that bad. If my

69
> Chevelle SS ever hit that I was in trouble!
>
> Couple of things. I think there is a 10 amp fuse between the fans in a

fused
> link. I tried to trace the wiring but could not find it. Sounds to me like
> one bad fan, but according to the local dealer they almost never fail. I
> would check the connections and it you get a Voltmeter in on the bad fan
> (watch out for fingers...) that would tell you right away if its a fan or
> connection issue. Don't check just the + terminal for 12 volts, make sure
> the ground really goes to a grounded surface.Vettes are famous for bad
> ground connections.
> Other thought might be a lower thermostat. Stock C5 is 192 deg, lot of
> people with temperature issues drop that to a lower temp.

The manual tells the three relays to check and the fuse and relay locations.
If you're going to do your own work you will need a manual.
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 11th 04, 04:44 AM
Tedd Riggs

Now I need to do some more homework on this one.
As Dad commented, the manual says three relays for Fan1, 2 & 3. I know I
don't have a third fan and in talking to dealer service people a couple of
them say they are not wired together and have 3 trip points when the engine
gets too hot and follow this below as the temperature goes up.
Drivers side comes on at low speed.
Both fans go to low speed.
Both go to hi-speed.

Dealer 2 said only two modes, both fans low or high....
So a bit lost at the moment..

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA

Old August 11th 04, 03:04 PM
Dad

"Tedd Riggs" > wrote in message
> Now I need to do some more homework on this one.
> As Dad commented, the manual says three relays for Fan1, 2 & 3. I know I
> don't have a third fan and in talking to dealer service people a couple of
> them say they are not wired together and have 3 trip points when the

engine
> gets too hot and follow this below as the temperature goes up.
> Drivers side comes on at low speed.
> Both fans go to low speed.
> Both go to hi-speed.
>
> Dealer 2 said only two modes, both fans low or high....
> So a bit lost at the moment..
>
> --
> Tedd Riggs
> Redmond, WA
> 1998 C5 6 spd

Dealer 2 is correct. On & off relay with low speed relay, or high speed
relay (kinda) depending on temperature. The 3 trip points are for normal
cooling, low speed, maximum cooling, high speed and over temperature high
speed with the power shut off. Avoid the lower temperature thermostats,
besides being the same stat with a .05 cent spacer in it, it will screw up
more than you will gain. If you're going to race it put a switch on it to
turn them on. Can be done in the fuse/relay panel by the battery, $5 fix
that takes 5 minutes. If you're going to do your own work you will need a
manual.
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 11th 04, 10:22 PM
Tedd Riggs

Thanks Dad,
I kinda guessed you would have the correct info !
Tedd

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA