How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

Old December 23rd 16, 06:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:14:20 -0500, advised:

> In 44 years I've had 5 tires go flat "on the road" 3 of those on one
> trip due to faulty valve stems (on the PT Cruiser on PEI), 1 due to a
> cinder in the black hills of the Dakotas at -40 on the '69 dart, and
> one on a sunday afternoon on the '63 Valiant (with no bumpers so I had
> to jack it by the trunk lid.) I've had a few go flat on the driveway
> that could be aired up and driven to the shop.

Most of my flats have been slow leaks which gave me time to air them up and
get home, once they were noticed.

I almost never drive highway nowadays, so, my 15K miles is on side roads,
where there is some construction. I average something like 1 flat a year,
sometimes more, sometimes less.

Anyway, they wouldn't put spares in cars if flats didn't happen.

> I've never had one damaged to the point it was not repairable due to
> running flat. Both of the ones that failed flat on the road were down
> low enough on tread that I ended up replacing the full set shortly
> later.

I did drive with a very low tire for about a mile. The tire was filled with
fluffy rubber shavings, and the belts inside were showing. So it was
stupid, in hindsight, to run them when they were flat.

> I'm a former auto mechanic and I won't "patch" a tire in the field
> unless I have to.

Depends on what you call the field.
If I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, it's getting an external plug if,
for whatever reason, the spare doesn't cut the mustard.

> I patched a lot as a kid on the farm (tube type on wagons) and bikes,
> lawn tractors etc., and a LOT in the shop as a mechanic.

Yeah. I replaced my first bicycle tire using a screwdriver, and holed the
tube so many times I had to buy a new one. Kids learn by doing. So do
adults.
Old December 23rd 16, 06:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 22:13:52 -0500, Ed Pawlowski advised:

>> Wow. I seem to have at least one a year, and sometimes more (lately).

> I drive about 22,000 miles a year and the worst case is to add some air
> a couple of times. Present car has 25,000 miles and for the first time
> I had to put air in one when the TPM went of when it was 7 degrees one
> morning.

I don't have TPMS and I only drive around 12 to 15k per year, but I get
about 1 flat a year, on average and my tires last about two years on
average.

> Ah, it pretty much has. Many cars have a can of air now.

Is that right?
I have never seen a car that didn't come with a spare tire, although some
come with cheap donuts instead of a real spare. Mine are 15 years old at
the very least, so all mine have real spares.

> It was dark, about 35 degrees and raining. Took the guy about a half
> hout to show up and do the change. Meantime I shopped in Home Depot.

Well, if you're off the highway, that's a different story 'cuz you can rest
at a Starbucks; but if you're on the highway, then it's quicker to change
the tire than it is to wait for AAA to change the tire.

Safety is a factor though, so, being towed off the highway to change the
tire could be a factor though. I think, in California, towing off the
highway is free, paid for by your taxes (I have to check that to be sure).

> The first time was a dozen years ago. I ran over a body bolt and it
> made a big hole in the sidewall. Car was about two months old. I took
> the other car to work. Dealer came over, took the tire off and mounted
> a new one, put it back. No idea how long it took them but I lost no
> time. Had to pay for the tire, of course.

Sidewall holes are bad news.

> When I was a teenager driving a '53 Merc with either used tire or
> recaps, I changed many tires. Found a better way.

I used to change my motorcycle tires myself. I don't know anyone who
doesn't, but I guess some tire shops do bike tires.
Old December 23rd 16, 07:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
FromTheRafters

explained :

>>> Wow. I seem to have at least one a year, and sometimes more (lately).

>> I drive about 22,000 miles a year and the worst case is to add some air
>> a couple of times. Present car has 25,000 miles and for the first time
>> I had to put air in one when the TPM went of when it was 7 degrees one
>> morning.
>>

>>> If flats were as uncommon as you seem to feel they may be, then why hasn't
>>> the spare tire gone the way of the dashboard oil pressure gage?

>> Ah, it pretty much has. Many cars have a can of air now.
>>

>>> I don't know any guy who would call someone else for something as simple as
>>> changing a tire though. It almost takes longer to make the call to AAA than
>>> it does to change the tire yourself. Even if it didn't, you'll be waiting
>>> for the truck to arrive far longer than it takes to change the tire.

>> It was dark, about 35 degrees and raining. Took the guy about a half
>> hout to show up and do the change. Meantime I shopped in Home Depot.
>>
>> The first time was a dozen years ago. I ran over a body bolt and it
>> made a big hole in the sidewall. Car was about two months old. I took
>> the other car to work. Dealer came over, took the tire off and mounted
>> a new one, put it back. No idea how long it took them but I lost no
>> time. Had to pay for the tire, of course.
>>
>> When I was a teenager driving a '53 Merc with either used tire or
>> recaps, I changed many tires. Found a better way.
>>>

> In 44 years I've had 5 tires go flat "on the road" 3 of those on one
> trip due to faulty valve stems (on the PT Cruiser on PEI), 1 due to a
> cinder in the black hills of the Dakotas at -40 on the '69 dart, and
> one on a sunday afternoon on the '63 Valiant (with no bumpers so I had
> to jack it by the trunk lid.) I've had a few go flat on the driveway
> that could be aired up and driven to the shop.
> I've never had one damaged to the point it was not repairable due to
> running flat. Both of the ones that failed flat on the road were down
> low enough on tread that I ended up replacing the full set shortly
> later.
> I'm a former auto mechanic and I won't "patch" a tire in the field
> unless I have to.
> I patched a lot as a kid on the farm (tube type on wagons) and bikes,
> lawn tractors etc., and a LOT in the shop as a mechanic.

One time as I was crossing some railroad tracks, I heard my tire going
phtt phtt phtt phtt with every rotation. I pulled over and put on my
spare. Took the tire to a shop to see what happened and to get it
repaired if possible. The object which punctured the tire was found
inside, it was a spark plug.
Old December 23rd 16, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 01:13:08 -0500, FromTheRafters advised:

> One time as I was crossing some railroad tracks, I heard my tire going
> phtt phtt phtt phtt with every rotation. I pulled over and put on my
> spare. Took the tire to a shop to see what happened and to get it
> repaired if possible. The object which punctured the tire was found
> inside, it was a spark plug.

Wow. A apark plug. I wonder if that's what I ran over?

One day, decades ago, when I was just an obnoxious kid, I was following a
truck at night on a crowded New York highway and I made the mistake of
****ing him off (I was young and stupid). I probably beeped him or flipped
him the bird but I don't remember what I did nor what he did to cause the
altercation. He may have been innocent and he is just circumstantial, but
while I was following him, my tire suddenly blew.

All I remember was hearing a loud POW and my tire was flat instantly.

There was a gash in the tire tread, as I recall, and nothing else visible.
As if a knife had been stuck in the tire. I changed to the spare, and
remember thinking, "never **** off truckers" (and I never did again, since
truckers are not your friend).

A day or two later, when the tire is replaced, there is an actual deep mark
in the alloy wheels on the *inside* of the rim directly across from where
that gash was, but no object. To this day, I don't know what suddenly
flattened that tire; but whatever it was, it was big.

Whatever flattened that tire was long enough to go inside the tire and
touch the inside of the rim which is a few inches, but it then came out. It
was like as if a railroad spike had been run over.
Old January 3rd 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Frank Baron:

Not saying the trucker did anything to cause your
flat that night, but: Not all truckers like their jobs.
Many are under pressures not self-imposed, but
by their employers or customers, to get product
to stores where you and I can buy it. And sometimes
their driving habits show it: Speeding, tail-gating
other drivers, frequent lane changes, frequent
use of the horns, etc.

Best just to give them their room. Remember:
this is not Star Wars - they are not "Imperial Star
Destroyers" and we are not Luke in his X-wing,
or Han Solo in the Falcon, zooming by them in
outer space and taunting them. LOL
Old January 3rd 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 9:23:21 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Frank Baron:
>
> Not saying the trucker did anything to cause your
> flat that night, but: Not all truckers like their jobs.
> Many are under pressures not self-imposed, but
> by their employers or customers, to get product
> to stores where you and I can buy it. And sometimes
> their driving habits show it: Speeding, tail-gating
> other drivers, frequent lane changes, frequent
> use of the horns, etc.
>
> Best just to give them their room. Remember:
> this is not Star Wars - they are not "Imperial Star
> Destroyers" and we are not Luke in his X-wing,
> or Han Solo in the Falcon, zooming by them in
> outer space and taunting them. LOL

My guess is that the emergence of self-driving trucks will bring about the return of highway pirates. It is going to look like small X-wings attacking an Imperial Star Destroyer.

A4, Potholes, Sidewall Bulges and Blowouts MFudalla Audi 2 April 11th 17 01:21 PM
Small hole too close to sidewall... Wood Roach Honda 7 March 3rd 08 07:02 AM
Red stripe sidewall tires Dale R Dodge 2 May 15th 07 04:11 AM
Red sidewall tires James Goforth Dodge 1 September 5th 06 05:55 PM
sidewall tire cut CanadianCowboy© Technology 1 March 26th 06 06:19 PM