Removing Pine Tar and Bird doo: What to use ?

Old May 17th 15, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Removing Pine Tar and Bird doo: What to use ?

Hello,

New Subaru Outback, 2015
Twilight Blue Metallic.

Car is left outside, so has accumulated a fair amount of bird-doo, and
also resin from trees. (pine tar ?).

What's totally safe to dissolve and remove ?

Rubbing Alcohol (the typical drug store kind) ?
Windex ?

Or,...?

Any precautions or caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old May 17th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-dropping.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Tree-Sap-From-Your-Car
Old May 17th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New Subaru Outback, 2015
> Twilight Blue Metallic.
>
> Car is left outside, so has accumulated a fair amount of bird-doo, and
> also resin from trees. (pine tar ?).
>
> What's totally safe to dissolve and remove ?
>
> Rubbing Alcohol (the typical drug store kind) ?
> Windex ?
>
> Or,...?
>
> Any precautions or caveats ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

The bird crap is easy, spray it with hot water till is dissolves and
rinses off.

Pine tar is a PIA to remove, One of the best items I have used is the
gelled alcohol hand sanitizer. The more alcohol the better. Rubbing
alcohol works as well but you have to keep wetting the towel to keep the
spot damp, the hand goo stays damp for long enough to soak in. Then once
the sap is softened a quick spritz with WD 40 and the sap comes off.
Then some wax& grease remover and finally a good wash and wax, Use a
good carnuba wax and apply 2 - 3 coats.

--
Steve W.
Old May 18th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default From OP: Removing Pine Tar and Bird doo: What to use ?

Hi Guys,

As always, thanks for help.

Have also heard about a product called "Goop".

Anyone have any experience with it related to pine tar removal ?

Safe ? Totally ?

Thanks,
Bob
--------------------

Old May 18th 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 9:37:34 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> As always, thanks for help.
>
> Have also heard about a product called "Goop".
>
> Anyone have any experience with it related to pine tar removal ?
>
> Safe ? Totally ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> --------------------
>
> On 5/17/2015 1:44 PM, Bob wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > New Subaru Outback, 2015
> > Twilight Blue Metallic.
> >
> > Car is left outside, so has accumulated a fair amount of bird-doo, and
> > also resin from trees. (pine tar ?).
> >
> > What's totally safe to dissolve and remove ?
> >
> > Rubbing Alcohol (the typical drug store kind) ?
> > Windex ?
> >
> > Or,...?
> >
> > Any precautions or caveats ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

Mineral Spirits is good for cleaning off road tar.
Old May 18th 15, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Bob wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> As always, thanks for help.
> Have also heard about a product called "Goop".
> Anyone have any experience with it related to pine tar removal ?
> Safe ? Totally ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

The only GOOP that I have heard of is Goop Hand Cleaner.
It has pumice and will take the paint off of your car along with the tar
and bird droppings.

Old May 18th 15, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:18:05 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> As always, thanks for help.
>> Have also heard about a product called "Goop".
>> Anyone have any experience with it related to pine tar removal ?
>> Safe ? Totally ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

>The only GOOP that I have heard of is Goop Hand Cleaner.
>It has pumice and will take the paint off of your car along with the tar
>and bird droppings.

He might be thinking of GOJO. It'll clean many things. Don't know if
it'll clean pine tar. I've used pine tar cleaner for that, from the
auto store, with good results. Don't remember what brand.
Old May 19th 15, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

Vic Smith > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:18:05 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> > wrote:
>
>>Bob wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> As always, thanks for help.
>>> Have also heard about a product called "Goop".
>>> Anyone have any experience with it related to pine tar removal ?
>>> Safe ? Totally ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>>The only GOOP that I have heard of is Goop Hand Cleaner.
>>It has pumice and will take the paint off of your car along with the tar
>>and bird droppings.

> He might be thinking of GOJO. It'll clean many things. Don't know if
> it'll clean pine tar. I've used pine tar cleaner for that, from the
> auto store, with good results. Don't remember what brand.

goop will work but will require a lot of elbo grease. KB