Engine Oil

Old April 4th 15, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
species8350[_2_]

Default Engine Oil

Hi,

I have 10W/40 Enhanced Mineral Oil in the sump of my Pug 205 1.6 GTI.

Will 10W/40 Semi Synthetic Oil be compatible with the existing oil?

Thanks
Old April 4th 15, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

species8350 > wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have 10W/40 Enhanced Mineral Oil in the sump of my Pug 205 1.6 GTI.
>
>Will 10W/40 Semi Synthetic Oil be compatible with the existing oil?

So, what country is this?
These are not descriptions that you see on oils in the US.

Which might be unfortunate... here in the US you basically have to check
the standards listed on the bottle to have any idea what sort of oil
you are buying.
--scott
Old April 4th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 4/3/15 11:42 PM, species8350 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 10W/40 Enhanced Mineral Oil in the sump of my Pug 205 1.6 GTI.
>
> Will 10W/40 Semi Synthetic Oil be compatible with the existing oil?
>
> Thanks

Does your Peugeot's oil filler cap have an API label ?
Maybe says SM/CF ?
You want to use an oil that has that (or newer) designation.
Old April 5th 15, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
species8350[_2_]

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 4:42:16 AM UTC+1, species8350 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 10W/40 Enhanced Mineral Oil in the sump of my Pug 205 1.6 GTI.
>
> Will 10W/40 Semi Synthetic Oil be compatible with the existing oil?
>
> Thanks

Thanks for responding.

I am in the UK

I could not buy any of the oil that I used to use. Hence, I bought the Semi Synthetic Oil
Old April 5th 15, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
species8350[_2_]

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 1:56:25 PM UTC+1, species8350 wrote:
> On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 4:42:16 AM UTC+1, species8350 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have 10W/40 Enhanced Mineral Oil in the sump of my Pug 205 1.6 GTI.
> >
> > Will 10W/40 Semi Synthetic Oil be compatible with the existing oil?
> >
> > Thanks

> Thanks for responding.
>
> I am in the UK
>
> I could not buy any of the oil that I used to use. Hence, I bought the Semi Synthetic Oil

I note that on both bottles (the oil in the sump, and the newer oil bought) it says, amongst other things: API and ACEA, but gives no numerical values