Tire Question ?

Old January 6th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Tire Question ?

Hello,

My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem tires.
225/65-17

I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for snow/ice here in
New England conditions, but several I am looking
at do not have a "65," only "60".

Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?

And,

Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?

Are they some "off-brand," or...?

Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does not even
offer them.

Any thoughts on ?

Much thanks,
Bob

---

Old January 6th 15, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 1/6/2015 11:46 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem
> tires.
> 225/65-17
>
> I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for
> snow/ice here in New England conditions, but several I am
> looking
> at do not have a "65," only "60".
>
> Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?
>
> And,
>
> Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?
>
> Are they some "off-brand," or...?
>
> Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does
> not even offer them.
>
> Any thoughts on ?

Can't help with your size question but Nokian is a premium
tire maker in the motorcycle and bicycle world and I know
drivers who say good things about them for snow. Never owned
a set myself but they are not 'off brand' at all.

http://company.nokia.com/en/about-us...pany/our-story

made by Suomis! woo hoo.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old January 6th 15, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 1/6/15 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/6/2015 11:46 AM, Bob wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem
>> tires.
>> 225/65-17
>>
>> I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for
>> snow/ice here in New England conditions, but several I am
>> looking
>> at do not have a "65," only "60".
>>
>> Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?
>>
>> And,
>>
>> Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?
>>
>> Are they some "off-brand," or...?
>>
>> Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does
>> not even offer them.
>>
>> Any thoughts on ?

> Can't help with your size question but Nokian is a premium tire maker
> in the motorcycle and bicycle world and I know drivers who say good
> things about them for snow. Never owned a set myself but they are not
> 'off brand' at all.
>
> http://company.nokia.com/en/about-us...pany/our-story
>
> made by Suomis! woo hoo.

Ahh, NOKIAN Tires are no longer part of Nokia Corp.

see http://www.nokiantires.com/

They are a Finnish co that specializes in winter tires.
(who would have guessed ;-)

Also, there is a "Where to buy" link on that webpage.

When I worked at a Volvo/Jaguar dealer, we saw (and sold) a fair
number of Nokian tires.

Old January 8th 15, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:46:11 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem tires.
> 225/65-17
>
> I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for snow/ice here in
> New England conditions, but several I am looking
> at do not have a "65," only "60".
>
> Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?
>
> And,
>
> Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?
>
> Are they some "off-brand," or...?
>
> Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does not even
> offer them.
>
> Any thoughts on ?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob
>
> ---

What you want is tires with a similar overall rolling diameter to your originals. I'd have a look on Tire Rack and play with sizes. Check the specific model and size of tire you're looking at against the stock tires. Also make sure that the specific model and size tire you're considering is listed by its manufacturer for the width of the wheels on your car.

I hope that I don't need to tell you that all four tires need to match on an AWD vehicle.

Also, a slight diameter difference is not the end of the world. I actually went 20mm wider on my car without changing the aspect ratio (stock tires were 225/35R19 front and 255/30R19 rear) because the tires I wanted didn't come in the stock size... not a problem. If I went any wider though I'd have to get different wheels (and probably do some serious figgering on offset and/or roll/trim my fender lips.)

nate
Old January 8th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:46:11 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem tires.
> 225/65-17
>
> I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for snow/ice here in
> New England conditions, but several I am looking
> at do not have a "65," only "60".
>
> Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?
>
> And,
>
> Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?
>
> Are they some "off-brand," or...?
>
> Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does not even
> offer them.
>
> Any thoughts on ?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob
>
> ---

Also, this may help you understand the tire sizing numbers

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7

nate

Tire Plus-Sizing Question: Why MUST Tire/Wheel Get WIDER When +Sizing? [email protected] Technology 43 May 6th 12 08:18 PM
89 YJ Tire question BSartist Jeep 6 December 8th 06 01:18 AM
clutch question, manual tire changer question Troy Jeep 13 August 26th 05 04:59 AM
v6 accord tire question, can I put 225R15 tire to my OEM wheel of 205/R15? [email protected] Honda 0 February 3rd 05 11:37 PM
Attn Tire experts. Tire valve stem question Jim Smith Saturn 1 June 17th 04 07:03 AM