Mazda tribute, 6 circuit codes

Old June 13th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Mazda tribute, 6 circuit codes

I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 3.0. About a month ago I had the engine light come on, I immediately checked the codes. p0443 ( Purge valve solenoid ) p0403 ( egr solenoid ) and all 4 o2 sensors p0 135 141 155 161. ( o2 heater circuit ) All 6 codes are electrical circuit related. I have checked the o2 fuse and it is fine ( replaced it anyway ) These parts did not all fail at the same time. I removed purge solenoid and energised , it clicked and allowed air to pass through it, seems to have no issues. I replaced the egr vacuum solenoid, since it is a common failed part. The egr valve itself holds vacuum no problem. I tested for 12 volts leading to purge solenoid and egr vacuum solenoid. They both have 12 volts. I tested between the egr solenoid and pcm for 12 volts, it has 12 volts as it should, it is pcm ground side switched. I have not tested the o2 sensors for power, but I have inspected the wires
and they seem ok.

I have checked the PCM harness and the wires seem ok. I have checked for vacuum leaks and cannot find any. The car ran fine for weeks after the codes were set. It now runs fine until the codes are set and then runs rough at idle.
I do not drive the car and I will not until I can sort the issue. It could be PCM related? I applied a vacuum gauge to egr and road tested it. The egr solenoid is opening and passing vacuum to egr valve as it should. Apply throttle and the solenoid opens egr, let go of gas and immediately no vacuum to egr, seems normal to me, yet still the p0403 egr electrical code. I do not believe any of the parts are bad, also i cant see bad o2 sensors causing a purge valve and egr solenoid electrical codes. I could understand a bad egr system causing o2 codes, but not necessarily, o2 heater circuit codes. I was thinking pcm issues, but seeing the egr solenoid seemingly working as it should, passing vacuum to valve, that seems to imply pcm is doing as it should, completing the circuit. I have power to dpfe sensor as well, not sure how a bad dpfe could cause purge code circuit and o2 codes circuit.

I had 58 miles with no codes and all my monitors were ready. CEL came on during inspection and all 6 codes were back. they now come back as soon as engine is warm.

At a loss here.
Old June 13th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:22:37 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 3.0. About a month ago I had the engine light come on, I immediately checked the codes. p0443 ( Purge valve solenoid ) p0403 ( egr solenoid ) and all 4 o2 sensors p0 135 141 155 161. ( o2 heater circuit ) All 6 codes are electrical circuit related. I have checked the o2 fuse and it is fine ( replaced it anyway ) These parts did not all fail at the same time. I removed purge solenoid and energised , it clicked and allowed air to pass through it, seems to have no issues. I replaced the egr vacuum solenoid, since it is a common failed part. The egr valve itself holds vacuum no problem. I tested for 12 volts leading to purge solenoid and egr vacuum solenoid. They both have 12 volts. I tested between the egr solenoid and pcm for 12 volts, it has 12 volts as it should, it is pcm ground side switched. I have not tested the o2 sensors for power, but I have inspected the wires
> and they seem ok.
>
> I have checked the PCM harness and the wires seem ok. I have checked for vacuum leaks and cannot find any. The car ran fine for weeks after the codes were set. It now runs fine until the codes are set and then runs rough at idle.
> I do not drive the car and I will not until I can sort the issue. It could be PCM related? I applied a vacuum gauge to egr and road tested it. The egr solenoid is opening and passing vacuum to egr valve as it should. Apply throttle and the solenoid opens egr, let go of gas and immediately no vacuum to egr, seems normal to me, yet still the p0403 egr electrical code. I do not believe any of the parts are bad, also i cant see bad o2 sensors causing a purge valve and egr solenoid electrical codes. I could understand a bad egr system causing o2 codes, but not necessarily, o2 heater circuit codes. I was thinking pcm issues, but seeing the egr solenoid seemingly working as it should, passing vacuum to valve, that seems to imply pcm is doing as it should, completing the circuit. I have power to dpfe sensor as well, not sure how a bad dpfe could cause purge code circuit and o2 codes circuit.
>
> I had 58 miles with no codes and all my monitors were ready. CEL came on during inspection and all 6 codes were back. they now come back as soon as engine is warm.
>
> At a loss here.

Check your idle air control valve.
Old June 14th 18, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

bad IAC valve could cause 6 other electrical circuit codes?
Old June 14th 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:33:42 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> bad IAC valve could cause 6 other electrical circuit codes?

Forget about the codes, your idle could be a separate problem. I recently had a trouble code indicating that my throttle sensor was bad, changing it didn't solve the problem but replacing a part in the steering column did. If you are having a problem with the idle, the idle air control valve should be the first place you look. Take it off, clean it, and make sure it works.
Old June 14th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the PCM a year ago for the well known issue of plugs and coils burning up the pcm. I replaced pcm and plugs and coils with recommended parts. While doing so, the throttle body, intake manifold, egr, and IAC were thoroughly cleaned. I will revisit the IAC.

I understand that codes do NOT always point to the true problem. I could see o2 codes being caused by other emission issues etc. My o2 codes are heater circuit failure codes, my egr code is circuit failure codes, along with the purge solenoid circuit failure codes. The idle issue when codes set seem to feel like when the egr has vacuum at idle. I had it happen close to home and pulled in driveway, yanked the egr hose and it settled right back to normal. i am not sure if there was vacuum or egr was stuck open a tad. Either way that in itself should not trigger circuit failure codes.

I am trying to find the common denominator of the circuit codes. the purge and all 4 02's share the same fuse and power wires. I have tested power to be ok. As you know it needs drive cycles to trip the codes, making testing trickier. I road tested egr and it was opening and closing just fine, that makes me feel I cant just assume pcm is shot.
Old June 15th 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
> I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 3.0. About a month ago I had the engine
> light come on, I immediately checked the codes. p0443 ( Purge valve
> solenoid ) p0403 ( egr solenoid ) and all 4 o2 sensors p0 135 141
> 155 161. ( o2 heater circuit ) All 6 codes are electrical circuit
> related. I have checked the o2 fuse and it is fine ( replaced it
> anyway ) These parts did not all fail at the same time. I removed
> purge solenoid and energised , it clicked and allowed air to pass
> through it, seems to have no issues. I replaced the egr vacuum
> solenoid, since it is a common failed part. The egr valve itself
> holds vacuum no problem. I tested for 12 volts leading to purge
> solenoid and egr vacuum solenoid. They both have 12 volts. I tested
> between the egr solenoid and pcm for 12 volts, it has 12 volts as it
> should, it is pcm ground side switched. I have not tested the o2
> sensors for power, but I have inspected the wires and they seem ok.
>
> I have checked the PCM harness and the wires seem ok. I have checked
> for vacuum leaks and cannot find any. The car ran fine for weeks
> after the codes were set. It now runs fine until the codes are set
> and then runs rough at idle. I do not drive the car and I will not
> until I can sort the issue. It could be PCM related? I applied a
> vacuum gauge to egr and road tested it. The egr solenoid is opening
> and passing vacuum to egr valve as it should. Apply throttle and the
> solenoid opens egr, let go of gas and immediately no vacuum to egr,
> seems normal to me, yet still the p0403 egr electrical code. I do
> not believe any of the parts are bad, also i cant see bad o2 sensors
> causing a purge valve and egr solenoid electrical codes. I could
> understand a bad egr system causing o2 codes, but not necessarily, o2
> heater circuit codes. I was thinking pcm issues, but seeing the egr
> solenoid seemingly working as it should, passing vacuum to valve,
> that seems to imply pcm is doing as it should, completing the
> circuit. I have power to dpfe sensor as well, not sure how a bad
> dpfe could cause purge code circuit and o2 codes circuit.
>
> I had 58 miles with no codes and all my monitors were ready. CEL came
> on during inspection and all 6 codes were back. they now come back as
> soon as engine is warm.
>
> At a loss here.

Toss a scan tool on it that can read live data. Start with a cold engine
and watch the O2 sensor activity. The description sounds like one of the
heaters is grounding out internally and shutting off the 12 volt feed.
While you watch that you could connect a meter to one of the other 12
volt feeds on that circuit and watch it as well.

The "harder" method would involve pulling the O2 connectors one at a
time and seeing which one only sets a code for itself and not the other
codes. While watching the 12V feed. It's a shortcut but should point out
the issue. You can also do that with the others as well. As you have to
clear the codes and run a drive cycle to get it to pass anyway.

--
Steve W.
Old June 15th 18, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks Steve, I will keep that in mind. I have another question regarding PCM and readiness monitors. If my pcm was the cause of these issues, lets say the drivers that ground the o2 heater circuits are damaged in the pcm..would my o2 heater monitor still complete? My egr, and o2 monitors are complete and ready. would that be possible with a damaged pcm?
Old June 21st 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 12:20:42 AM UTC-10, J.B. Wood wrote:

> According to Pat Goss, the well-respected auto technician, connecting
> the scan tool is the last thing one should do in diagnosing an auto
> malfunction(s). I'm fairly certain I know what he means. Sincerely,
>

> --
> J. B. Wood e-mail:

People that have no diagnostic skills and have never worked on automobiles should not pick up a wrench or a OBD scanner and start monkeying around with them. That just leads to utter confusion.
Old June 24th 18, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 5:01:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 12:20:42 AM UTC-10, J.B. Wood wrote:
> >
> > According to Pat Goss, the well-respected auto technician, connecting
> > the scan tool is the last thing one should do in diagnosing an auto
> > malfunction(s). I'm fairly certain I know what he means. Sincerely,
> >

> > --
> > J. B. Wood e-mail:

> People that have no diagnostic skills and have never worked on automobiles should not pick up a wrench or a OBD scanner and start monkeying around with them. That just leads to utter confusion.

EricTheCarGuy Youtube How To Pull Honda Codes Without A Scanner