Fuel pressure issue - 95 Astro - please help

Old February 3rd 05, 09:02 PM

Default Fuel pressure issue - 95 Astro - please help

Can someone please help me figure this out? I am really stuck.

I have a 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK ASTRO VAN 2WD
6 Cylinders 262 W 4.3L CPI. 105,000 miles

Symptoms:
The van is cutting out like it is running out of fuel while driving.

I let the van warm up first before a test drive. It drives okay (not
great) at first, then it starts acting like it is running out of gas.
It bogs down and stalls when I accelerate. I tried flooring it and it
wants to die. This problem is progressive meaning it is getting worse;
now it happens after just a couple miles of driving. The problem will
go away (van drives much better) after turning off the van and then
back on.

History:
Fuel pump quit working over new years. I replaced and it drove fine.
I drove one 300 mile trip then another 300 miles of city driving with
no problems.

It got real cold (irrelevant?). I drove for 25 miles with no issues.
I filled up with gas (irrelevant?) after work and drove 10 miles and it
started acting up.

The problem got worse over the next couple days (60 miles city
driving).

I changed the fuel filter which was clogged and appeared to be the
original filter. It seemed to run fine. I drove several very short
trips 5 miles which may have been too short to notice symptoms. I
filled up again, then drove 15 miles.

It acted worse than ever.

I checked the fuel pressure. It was about 62psi with the pump running
but dropped to 6psi when not running.

I replaced the CPI unit and the nut kit (fuel lines). The fuel
regulator was leaking. I could see where the gas had cleaned the
inside of the plenum.

I retested fuel pressure. It was 62psi with the pump running but
dropped to 22psi with the pump off. My Haynes manual said it should
only drop 3-10psi with the key off.

I road tested the van and it has the same symptoms.

Shouldn't I be able to see or smell the gas that bleeds off? I
don't see any gas (I will double check tonight).

Now I do not know what to do. I am stuck. Can anyone offer any
suggestion?

Old February 3rd 05, 10:01 PM
Don Baker

There is a "sock" type filter for the big chunks at the fuel pickup in the
tank. If these plug / clog or collapse they can cause similar problems.

Good luck,
Don

oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 12:48 AM
aarcuda69062

In article
.com>,
wrote:

> Can someone please help me figure this out? I am really stuck.
>
> I have a 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK ASTRO VAN 2WD
> 6 Cylinders 262 W 4.3L CPI. 105,000 miles
>

> Symptoms:
> The van is cutting out like it is running out of fuel while driving.
>
> I let the van warm up first before a test drive. It drives okay (not
> great) at first, then it starts acting like it is running out of gas.
> It bogs down and stalls when I accelerate. I tried flooring it and it
> wants to die. This problem is progressive meaning it is getting worse;
> now it happens after just a couple miles of driving. The problem will
> go away (van drives much better) after turning off the van and then
> back on.
>

> History:
> Fuel pump quit working over new years. I replaced and it drove fine.
> I drove one 300 mile trip then another 300 miles of city driving with
> no problems.
>
> It got real cold (irrelevant?). I drove for 25 miles with no issues.
> I filled up with gas (irrelevant?) after work and drove 10 miles and it
> started acting up.
>
> The problem got worse over the next couple days (60 miles city
> driving).
>
> I changed the fuel filter which was clogged and appeared to be the
> original filter. It seemed to run fine. I drove several very short
> trips 5 miles which may have been too short to notice symptoms. I
> filled up again, then drove 15 miles.
>
> It acted worse than ever.
>
> I checked the fuel pressure. It was about 62psi with the pump running
> but dropped to 6psi when not running.
>
> I replaced the CPI unit and the nut kit (fuel lines). The fuel
> regulator was leaking. I could see where the gas had cleaned the
> inside of the plenum.
>
> I retested fuel pressure. It was 62psi with the pump running but
> dropped to 22psi with the pump off. My Haynes manual said it should
> only drop 3-10psi with the key off.
>
> I road tested the van and it has the same symptoms.
>
> Shouldn't I be able to see or smell the gas that bleeds off? I
> don't see any gas (I will double check tonight).
>
> Now I do not know what to do. I am stuck. Can anyone offer any
> suggestion?

You need to determine if this thing is going too rich or too
lean when it acts up. Ideally, a test drive with a scan tool
installed so you can view O2 sensor volts and the fuel trim
numbers. Plug color and watching the O2 sensor on a DVOM is a
do-able method if you don't have a scan tool.

The fuel pressure shouldn't drop off as it does, weak pumps
and/or a failed pulsator usually manifest themselves as hard
starting after an overnight set. Entirely possible that it's the
CPI and regulator (again), who did you get those components from?

Did you re-use the old pulsator when you changed out the pump?
Pulsator = the oval shaped piece that connects the fuel pump
outlet to the sending unit , black plastic with a stamped tin
cover.
Old February 4th 05, 05:38 AM

I do not think I replaced the pulsator, unless it came with my autozone
pump. The CPI and nut kit where ACDelco parts.

I kind of think it might be the catlytic converter now. That is what a
couple people have told me and it seems like these symptoms could be
caused by a clogged converter. I will test it first since it is a bit
easier. Then I guess I will either do the test drive you suggested and
change the pulsator.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Dave

Old February 4th 05, 06:15 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On 3 Feb 2005 20:38:50 -0800, wrote:

>I do not think I replaced the pulsator, unless it came with my autozone
>pump. The CPI and nut kit where ACDelco parts.
>
>I kind of think it might be the catlytic converter now. That is what a
>couple people have told me and it seems like these symptoms could be
>caused by a clogged converter. I will test it first since it is a bit
>easier. Then I guess I will either do the test drive you suggested and
>change the pulsator.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions,
>
>Dave

If you would get a data logger, do they have them for a 1995 car/van ?
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My fuel pressure is _supposed to be between 35 and 45 psi according to
the book, but I see on SOME occasions it goes outside those bounds,
especially while idling. In fact, it seems only while idling. So I
don't know what that is all about. NO DTC CODES either thrown or
pending, according to my OBDII scanner. But my data logger picked
this up. Notice what happens at the 13 minute point when I was idling
the car while eating lunch one day....

Fuel pressure doesn't come back to normal until minute 25, when I
accelerate and travel off again.

For 11 minutes my system was over pressurized, but no MIL or DTC
codes. And out of 115 trips on this particular log, it only happened
this _once_.

Anyhow, if you can fit a data logger on a 95 Astrovan ( haven't a clue
if you have an OBDII port ) you can use a data logging chip to watch
your fuel system while you drive around.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CAUTION:
BANDWIDTH BUSTER AHEAD:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

NOTE: the three digits on the right, two to the left of the decimal
point and one to the right, show fuel pressure at 5 second intervals
from start of engine.

Time into trip is left of that

If you do this, you have narrowed down one possibility. And you can
log fuel trims right along with that.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\

Title : View / Trip Log / Trip 22 / Plot / Fuel Pressure (psi) / Start
Time
Rows : 1
Columns : 1
Column 01 : Start Time []
1/21/2005 1:56 PM

Title : View / Trip Log / Trip 22 / Plot / Fuel Pressure (psi)
Rows : 606
Columns : 2
Column 01 : Elapsed Time []
Column 02 : Fuel Pressure (psi) [psi]
0:00:00 48.7
0:00:04 47.4
0:00:09 46.6
0:00:14 46.1
0:00:19 46.6
0:00:24 44.4
0:00:29 44.8
0:00:34 43.1
0:00:39 45.7
0:00:44 40.5
0:00:49 44.8
0:00:54 39.6
0:00:59 41.8
0:01:04 39.2
0:01:09 41.3
0:01:14 40.5
0:01:19 38.3
0:01:24 38.7
0:01:29 40.5
0:01:34 41.3
0:01:39 39.2
0:01:44 38.7
0:01:49 41.8
0:01:54 40.0
0:01:59 37.9
0:02:04 40.0
0:02:09 39.2
0:02:14 40.5
0:02:19 41.3
0:02:24 38.3
0:02:29 39.2
0:02:34 40.5
0:02:39 39.2
0:02:44 40.5
0:02:49 39.6
0:02:54 40.5
0:02:59 40.5
0:03:04 38.7
0:03:09 40.0
0:03:14 38.7
0:03:19 39.2
0:03:24 39.6
0:03:29 39.2
0:03:34 37.9
0:03:39 39.6
0:03:44 38.7
0:03:49 38.7
0:03:54 39.2
0:03:59 39.2
0:04:04 38.7
0:04:09 39.6
0:04:14 40.9
0:04:19 38.7
0:04:24 38.3
0:04:29 40.0
0:04:34 40.5
0:04:39 40.0
0:04:44 39.2
0:04:49 39.6
0:04:54 40.0
0:04:59 38.7
0:05:04 40.5
0:05:09 38.7
0:05:14 40.5
0:05:19 40.0
0:05:24 38.7
0:05:29 40.5
0:05:34 39.2
0:05:39 38.7
0:05:44 38.7
0:05:49 39.6
0:05:54 41.3
0:05:59 38.7
0:06:03 38.7
0:06:08 41.3
0:06:13 37.9
0:06:18 39.6
0:06:23 38.7
0:06:28 38.7
0:06:33 38.7
0:06:38 40.0
0:06:43 39.6
0:06:48 38.3
0:06:53 40.5
0:06:58 40.5
0:07:03 39.6
0:07:08 39.6
0:07:13 40.9
0:07:18 38.7
0:07:23 38.7
0:07:28 39.2
0:07:33 39.6
0:07:38 39.6
0:07:43 37.9
0:07:48 41.3
0:07:53 41.3
0:07:58 40.0
0:08:03 41.8
0:08:08 40.9
0:08:13 38.3
0:08:18 40.5
0:08:23 38.7
0:08:28 39.6
0:08:33 38.7
0:08:38 40.5
0:08:43 40.0
0:08:48 39.2
0:08:53 39.6
0:08:58 40.9
0:09:03 39.6
0:09:08 39.6
0:09:13 40.0
0:09:18 39.6
0:09:23 41.8
0:09:28 41.3
0:09:33 41.3
0:09:38 40.5
0:09:43 42.2
0:09:48 41.3
0:09:53 42.6
0:09:58 42.6
0:10:03 44.4
0:10:08 41.3
0:10:13 42.6
0:10:18 40.9
0:10:23 44.4
0:10:28 41.3
0:10:33 43.9
0:10:38 43.1
0:10:43 44.8
0:10:48 43.9
0:10:53 44.4
0:10:58 42.2
0:11:03 41.8
0:11:08 44.8
0:11:13 44.4
0:11:18 44.8
0:11:23 46.1
0:11:28 45.3
0:11:33 43.9
0:11:38 46.1
0:11:43 42.2
0:11:48 43.1
0:11:53 46.1
0:11:58 43.9
0:12:03 45.3
0:12:07 47.0
0:12:12 44.8
0:12:17 47.9
0:12:22 45.3
0:12:27 45.7
0:12:32 46.6
0:12:37 45.3
0:12:42 45.7
0:12:47 46.6
0:12:52 46.1
0:12:57 45.3
0:13:02 46.6
0:13:07 46.1
0:13:12 46.6
0:13:17 48.3
0:13:22 47.4
0:13:27 49.2
0:13:32 46.6
0:13:37 45.3
0:13:42 48.7
0:13:47 47.9
0:13:52 48.3
0:13:57 49.6
0:14:02 49.2
0:14:07 46.6
0:14:12 47.4
0:14:17 48.3
0:14:22 47.4
0:14:27 47.4
0:14:32 49.2
0:14:37 50.5
0:14:42 49.6
0:14:47 49.2
0:14:52 48.7
0:14:57 48.7
0:15:02 50.9
0:15:07 48.3
0:15:12 51.3
0:15:17 49.6
0:15:22 48.3
0:15:27 49.2
0:15:32 53.5
0:15:37 50.5
0:15:42 51.3
0:15:47 50.0
0:15:52 50.9
0:15:57 50.9
0:16:02 50.0
0:16:07 50.5
0:16:12 53.1
0:16:17 52.6
0:16:22 49.2
0:16:27 49.6
0:16:32 51.3
0:16:37 51.3
0:16:42 51.8
0:16:47 50.5
0:16:52 51.8
0:16:57 53.1
0:17:02 52.6
0:17:07 51.8
0:17:12 52.2
0:17:17 53.1
0:17:22 51.3
0:17:27 50.9
0:17:32 51.8
0:17:37 51.8
0:17:42 52.2
0:17:47 51.3
0:17:52 53.5
0:17:57 52.6
0:18:02 52.2
0:18:06 51.3
0:18:11 50.9
0:18:16 50.0
0:18:21 51.8
0:18:26 51.8
0:18:31 53.1
0:18:36 52.2
0:18:41 52.6
0:18:46 54.0
0:18:51 53.5
0:18:56 54.0
0:19:01 51.3
0:19:06 52.6
0:19:11 52.6
0:19:16 54.8
0:19:21 51.8
0:19:26 55.3
0:19:31 53.1
0:19:36 53.5
0:19:41 52.2
0:19:46 52.6
0:19:51 53.5
0:19:56 53.1
0:20:01 55.3
0:20:06 51.3
0:20:11 55.3
0:20:16 52.6
0:20:21 54.0
0:20:26 54.4
0:20:31 58.3
0:20:36 55.3
0:20:41 54.0
0:20:46 53.5
0:20:51 54.8
0:20:56 53.5
0:21:01 55.3
0:21:06 54.0
0:21:11 54.0
0:21:16 53.1
0:21:21 54.0
0:21:26 54.4
0:21:31 53.5
0:21:36 52.2
0:21:41 54.4
0:21:46 54.4
0:21:51 54.4
0:21:56 54.4
0:22:01 55.3
0:22:06 53.1
0:22:11 54.8
0:22:16 55.7
0:22:21 54.8
0:22:26 50.9
0:22:31 54.4
0:22:36 54.0
0:22:41 54.0
0:22:46 52.2
0:22:51 54.8
0:22:56 54.8
0:23:01 54.4
0:23:06 56.1
0:23:11 56.1
0:23:16 52.6
0:23:21 55.7
0:23:26 53.1
0:23:31 54.4
0:23:36 55.7
0:23:41 55.7
0:23:46 56.1
0:23:51 54.0
0:23:56 54.4
0:24:01 54.0
0:24:06 53.5
0:24:10 53.5
0:24:15 50.9
0:24:20 51.8
0:24:25 51.8
0:24:30 55.7
0:24:35 50.5
0:24:40 51.3
0:24:45 51.8
0:24:50 50.9
0:24:55 47.0
0:25:00 46.6
0:25:05 44.8
0:25:10 50.5
0:25:15 46.1
0:25:20 46.6
0:25:25 45.3
0:25:30 42.6
0:25:35 44.8
0:25:40 45.7
0:25:45 47.0
0:25:50 46.6
0:25:55 45.7
0:26:00 44.4
0:26:05 44.4
0:26:10 47.9
0:26:15 44.4
0:26:20 47.0
0:26:25 43.9
0:26:30 43.1
0:26:35 41.8
0:26:40 44.4
0:26:45 42.2
0:26:50 45.3
0:26:55 41.3
0:27:00 43.5
0:27:05 37.0
0:27:10 43.1
0:27:15 39.2
0:27:20 38.3
0:27:25 39.6
0:27:30 40.0
0:27:35 38.3
0:27:40 40.9
0:27:45 40.5
0:27:50 38.7
0:27:55 40.0
0:28:00 40.9
0:28:05 41.3
0:28:10 39.2
0:28:15 40.9
0:28:20 38.3
0:28:25 40.0
0:28:30 40.0
0:28:35 40.5
0:28:40 39.6
0:28:45 40.0
0:28:50 40.9
0:28:55 37.9
0:29:00 38.7
0:29:05 40.0
0:29:10 39.6
0:29:15 40.0
0:29:20 39.6
0:29:25 40.0
0:29:30 40.0
0:29:35 40.5
0:29:40 40.0
0:29:45 39.2
0:29:50 42.2
0:29:55 39.6
0:30:00 38.3
0:30:05 39.2
0:30:09 40.5
0:30:14 38.3
0:30:19 40.5
0:30:24 39.2
0:30:29 40.0
0:30:34 40.5
0:30:39 42.2
0:30:44 40.5
0:30:49 40.0
0:30:54 40.5
0:30:59 39.6
0:31:04 39.2
0:31:09 42.2
0:31:14 40.5
0:31:19 40.5
0:31:24 38.7
0:31:29 40.0
0:31:34 38.7
0:31:39 40.0
0:31:44 38.7
0:31:49 37.9
0:31:54 40.0
0:31:59 40.5
0:32:04 38.7
0:32:09 40.9
0:32:14 39.2
0:32:19 39.6
0:32:24 38.7
0:32:29 41.3
0:32:34 39.6
0:32:39 40.0
0:32:44 39.2
0:32:49 38.3
0:32:54 37.9
0:32:59 40.9
0:33:04 39.6
0:33:09 38.7
0:33:14 41.3
0:33:19 40.5
0:33:24 39.6
0:33:29 38.3
0:33:34 40.0
0:33:39 37.9
0:33:44 41.8
0:33:49 38.7
0:33:54 39.2
0:33:59 40.0
0:34:04 39.6
0:34:09 38.3
0:34:14 41.3
0:34:19 39.2
0:34:24 39.2
0:34:29 41.3
0:34:34 38.3
0:34:39 39.6
0:34:44 39.6
0:34:49 40.5
0:34:54 40.0
0:34:59 40.9
0:35:04 40.0
0:35:09 40.9
0:35:14 40.9
0:35:19 39.6
0:35:24 39.2
0:35:29 38.3
0:35:34 38.7
0:35:39 40.0
0:35:44 38.3
0:35:49 38.7
0:35:54 38.7
0:35:59 40.5
0:36:04 40.5
0:36:09 41.3
0:36:13 40.9
0:36:18 38.7
0:36:23 40.5
0:36:28 39.6
0:36:33 40.5
0:36:38 41.3
0:36:43 39.6
0:36:48 39.6
0:36:53 38.7
0:36:58 39.6
0:37:03 38.3
0:37:08 39.6
0:37:13 37.9
0:37:18 39.6
0:37:23 39.6
0:37:28 40.0
0:37:33 39.2
0:37:38 40.9
0:37:43 38.7
0:37:48 38.7
0:37:53 39.6
0:37:58 40.5
0:38:03 40.5
0:38:08 38.3
0:38:13 40.0
0:38:18 38.3
0:38:23 39.2
0:38:28 40.9
0:38:33 39.2
0:38:38 41.3
0:38:43 40.0
0:38:48 39.6
0:38:53 39.2
0:38:58 37.9
0:39:03 39.2
0:39:08 40.9
0:39:13 38.7
0:39:18 40.9
0:39:23 39.2
0:39:28 40.5
0:39:33 38.3
0:39:38 39.6
0:39:43 40.5
0:39:48 40.9
0:39:53 40.0
0:39:58 38.3
0:40:03 37.4
0:40:08 40.0
0:40:13 40.5
0:40:18 40.0
0:40:23 39.6
0:40:28 43.5
0:40:33 40.9
0:40:38 40.9
0:40:43 40.9
0:40:48 39.6
0:40:53 39.2
0:40:58 39.2
0:41:03 39.6
0:41:08 38.3
0:41:13 40.0
0:41:18 38.7
0:41:23 39.6
0:41:28 38.7
0:41:33 40.5
0:41:38 39.6
0:41:43 40.0
0:41:48 40.5
0:41:53 39.6
0:41:58 39.2
0:42:03 40.0
0:42:08 41.3
0:42:12 41.3
0:42:17 38.7
0:42:22 39.6
0:42:27 39.6
0:42:32 41.3
0:42:37 38.3
0:42:42 38.7
0:42:47 40.0
0:42:52 39.6
0:42:57 40.9
0:43:02 39.2
0:43:07 38.7
0:43:12 39.2
0:43:17 38.7
0:43:22 38.7
0:43:27 40.9
0:43:32 40.0
0:43:37 35.7
0:43:42 40.5
0:43:47 38.3
0:43:52 40.0
0:43:57 40.9
0:44:02 39.2
0:44:07 39.2
0:44:12 39.2
0:44:17 40.9
0:44:22 39.6
0:44:27 40.5
0:44:32 39.2
0:44:37 40.9
0:44:42 40.5
0:44:47 38.7
0:44:52 38.7
0:44:57 38.7
0:45:02 39.2
0:45:07 40.0
0:45:12 41.3
0:45:17 40.5
0:45:22 39.2
0:45:27 40.0
0:45:32 38.7
0:45:37 41.3
0:45:42 39.2
0:45:47 40.5
0:45:52 40.0
0:45:57 41.3
0:46:02 40.9
0:46:07 41.3
0:46:12 38.7
0:46:17 40.0
0:46:22 41.3
0:46:27 39.6
0:46:32 39.6
0:46:37 37.9
0:46:42 40.0
0:46:47 40.0
0:46:52 39.2
0:46:57 39.2
0:47:02 39.6
0:47:07 38.7
0:47:12 40.0
0:47:17 39.2
0:47:22 39.2
0:47:27 40.0
0:47:32 40.0
0:47:37 40.9
0:47:42 38.3
0:47:47 41.3
0:47:52 37.9
0:47:57 38.7
0:48:02 41.8
0:48:07 38.7
0:48:12 39.2
0:48:16 41.3
0:48:21 38.7
0:48:26 39.6
0:48:31 40.5
0:48:36 40.5
0:48:41 39.2
0:48:46 38.7
0:48:51 39.6
0:48:56 40.5
0:49:01 39.2
0:49:06 39.2
0:49:11 39.6
0:49:16 40.9
0:49:21 41.8
0:49:26 40.5
0:49:31 41.3
0:49:36 41.8
0:49:41 39.6
0:49:46 38.7
0:49:51 37.9
0:49:56 39.2
0:50:01 40.9
0:50:06 38.7
0:50:11 41.3
0:50:16 38.7

Title : View / Trip Log / Trip 22 / Plot / Fuel Pressure (psi) / End
Time
Rows : 1
Columns : 1
Column 01 : End Time []
1/21/2005 2:20 PM
Old February 5th 05, 03:49 AM
Steve W.

Bad tank of gas with lot's of water/crud. It keeps plugging things up.

> History:
> Fuel pump quit working over new years. I replaced and it drove fine.
> I drove one 300 mile trip then another 300 miles of city driving with
> no problems.
>
> It got real cold (irrelevant?). I drove for 25 miles with no issues.
> I filled up with gas (irrelevant?) after work and drove 10 miles and

it
> started acting up.

Notice how it started right after you filled up?
Pump out the tank. Fill with known good fuel. Replace the fuel filter
again.
Brt the problem goes away.

--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,
he'd have become a vegan.

oups.com...

Old February 5th 05, 09:17 PM

I think that is what I will try now. I just replaced my exaust/convert
from the O2 sensor back and it did not help.

This is getting expensive

Old February 5th 05, 09:18 PM

Old February 6th 05, 03:32 AM
Bob

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On 5 Feb 2005 12:18:43 -0800, wrote:
>
>>I think that is what I will try now. I just replaced my exaust/convert
>>from the O2 sensor back and it did not help.
>>
>>This is getting expensive

> The only way I know of monitoring your fuel pressure "while you are
> driving around" is to have somebody plugged into your OBDII connector
> with a real-time scanner, OR, use a data logger ( e.g. Davis
> DriveRight CarChip, or record on a portable PC with a program like
> AutoTap ).

Nice guess Larry but since his PCM has absolutely no clue what the fuel
pressure is, your data logger won't work. It may be able to moniter several
things but fuel pressure isn't among them.
Bob