My car tried to kill me AGAIN

Old October 6th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default My car tried to kill me AGAIN

This is the third time my 1988 Eldorado has tried to kill me and my
passengers. Sudden acceleration, barely stoppable with the brake. Turn
off the engine, turn it on again and everything is OK. 3x on one trip,
1x on one trip one year later and once again today, ~6 months later.

The independent GM repair guy fixed one part of the acceleration-control
(HA!) system the first time, and a different part of the system (very
hard to find that part) the second time. And here we have the same
problem again.

Surely I'm not the only one to experience this. Anybody ever heard of
this before?

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Old October 8th 12, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/07/2012 01:18 PM, D. Stussy wrote:

> "The Real Bev" wrote in message ...
> This is the third time my 1988 Eldorado has tried to kill me and my
> passengers. Sudden acceleration, barely stoppable with the brake. Turn
> off the engine, turn it on again and everything is OK. 3x on one trip,
> 1x on one trip one year later and once again today, ~6 months later.
>
> The independent GM repair guy fixed one part of the acceleration-control
> (HA!) system the first time, and a different part of the system (very
> hard to find that part) the second time. And here we have the same
> problem again.
>
> Surely I'm not the only one to experience this. Anybody ever heard of
> this before?
> ================
>
> Yes. With older cars, the acceleration pedal is connected to the fuel line
> valve entering the carb. It usually has two springs (one for resistance as
> one steps on the gas pedal and the other as a return spring). Your return
> spring may be worn or broken. That happened to me once (i.e. it broke), but
> fortunately I was parked, not moving.
>
> With newer cars, there's always a chance of a firmware error or some other
> electronics glitch.

Nothing to do with the return spring. It sped up with my foot off the
gas. The guy said that instead of a dashpot to keep the accelerator
from slamming shut when you take your foot off the gas THERE'S A MOTOR.
Other stuff too.

A regular poster sent me email opining that this was a case of geezer
error. This is how I replied to him:

He wrote:
"I have. And every case turned out to be the same problem: the geezer
driving the car was past his expiration date and stepped on the gas
instead of the brake."

I wrote back:
No. I have witnesses for two of the seven events. The stomp-on-the-
accelerator-instead-of-the brake thing had been around for a while
before it happened the first time. My first thought was Damn, it WASN'T
a geezer problem after all.

The most recent time -- yesterday -- happened when I was driving on the
freeway and took my foot off the accelerator and the car didn't slow
down. It sped up. I stepped on the brake to slow it down, and it sped
up again when I took my foot off the gas. I braked seriously, got off
the freeway and got it stopped with serious brake pressure. Turned it
off and told my husband 'Watch, when I turn it on again it will be OK.'
And it was.

Previous time was with a friend -- we were going skiing and it happened
up in the mountains. We turned around and came home. This friend has
also done her own repairs and prides herself on her race-driving and is
hardly likely to have watched me hit the accelerator instead of the
brake without saying something..

Bugger off.

--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old October 8th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Harry K

On Oct 7, 5:56*pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
> [...]

> freeway and took my foot off the accelerator and the car didn't slow
> down. *It sped up. *I stepped on the brake to slow it down, and it sped
> up again when I took my foot off the gas. *I braked seriously, got off
> the freeway and got it stopped with serious brake pressure. *Turned it
> off and told my husband 'Watch, when I turn it on again it will be OK.'
> And it was.
>
> Previous time was with a friend -- we were going skiing and it happened
> up in the mountains. *We turned around and came home. *This friend has
> also done her own repairs and prides herself on her race-driving and is
> hardly likely to have watched me hit the accelerator instead of the
> brake without saying something..
>
> Bugger off.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> The beatings will continue until morale improves

Let's see. In prior cases you discovered that turning the car off and
restarting it corrects the problem.
So...logically in the same situration and it happened to me my
reaction would not be to burn out my brakes
but turn the engine off momentarily. even if it took a few seconds
there would be no problem controlling
the car for that short period.

Harry K

Old October 8th 12, 07:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/07/2012 09:00 PM, Harry K wrote:

> [...]

>> the freeway and got it stopped with serious brake pressure. Turned it
>> off and told my husband 'Watch, when I turn it on again it will be OK.'
>> And it was.
>>
>> Previous time was with a friend -- we were going skiing and it happened
>> up in the mountains. We turned around and came home. This friend has
>> also done her own repairs and prides herself on her race-driving and is
>> hardly likely to have watched me hit the accelerator instead of the
>> brake without saying something..
>>
>> Bugger off.

> Let's see. In prior cases you discovered that turning the car off and
> restarting it corrects the problem.
> So...logically in the same situration and it happened to me my
> reaction would not be to burn out my brakes
> but turn the engine off momentarily. even if it took a few seconds

I may have done that once, but the memory of that particular instance
(the third time it happened, on I-15) is not clear. That's what I'll do
next time now that I know the steering wheel won't lock when the car is
in neutral with the engine off

There had better not be a next time.

--
Cheers. Bev
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament
Old October 8th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
jgar the jorrible

On Oct 7, 11:53*pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
> On 10/07/2012 09:00 PM, Harry K wrote:

> >> Nothing to do with the return spring. *It sped up with my foot off the
> >> gas. *The guy said that instead of a dashpot to keep the accelerator
> >> from slamming shut when you take your foot off the gas THERE'S A MOTOR..
> >> * Other stuff too.

> >> A regular poster sent me email opining that this was a case of geezer
> >> error. *This is how I replied to him:

> >> He wrote:

> >> "I have. *And every case turned out to be the same problem: the geezer
> >> driving the car was past his expiration date and stepped on the gas
> >> instead of the brake."

> >> I wrote back:
> >> No. *I have witnesses for two of the seven events. *The stomp-on-the-
> >> accelerator-instead-of-the brake thing had been around for a while
> >> before it happened the first time. *My first thought was Damn, it WASN'T
> >> a geezer problem after all.

> >> The most recent time -- yesterday -- happened when I was driving on the
> >> freeway and took my foot off the accelerator and the car didn't slow
> >> down. *It sped up. *I stepped on the brake to slow it down, and it sped
> >> up again when I took my foot off the gas. *I braked seriously, got off
> >> the freeway and got it stopped with serious brake pressure. *Turned it
> >> off and told my husband 'Watch, when I turn it on again it will be OK.'
> >> And it was.

> >> Previous time was with a friend -- we were going skiing and it happened
> >> up in the mountains. *We turned around and came home. *This friend has
> >> also done her own repairs and prides herself on her race-driving and is
> >> hardly likely to have watched me hit the accelerator instead of the
> >> brake without saying something..

> >> Bugger off.

> > Let's see. *In prior cases you discovered that turning the car off and
> > restarting it corrects the problem.
> > So...logically in the same situration and it happened to me my
> > reaction would not be to burn out my brakes
> > but turn the engine off momentarily. *even if it took a few seconds
> > there would be no problem controlling
> > the car for that short period.

> I may have done that once, but the memory of that particular instance
> (the third time it happened, on I-15) is not clear. *That's what I'll do
> next time now that I know the steering wheel won't lock when the car is
> in neutral with the engine off
>
> There had better not be a next time.
>
> --
> Cheers. Bev
> ================================================== ========
> It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament
> to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they
> met too much resistance.

Have you noted http://car-and-safety.com/cadillac-v...se-control.htm
?

My wild speculation would be the wiring to the speed control sensor.
Doesn't matter how many times you change the sensor if its the
wiring. It could be anywhere in the harness, too much resisitance
coupled with a voltage drop from some unrelated thing turning on (do
you have air suspension?) and wee wee wee all the way home.

Dang, I was considering an old Eldo when I shift cars in a few
months. Electrical gremlins are the worst.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/deal...-him-arrested/
Old October 8th 12, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/08/2012 09:40 AM, jgar the jorrible wrote:

> On Oct 7, 11:53 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:

>> > Let's see. In prior cases you discovered that turning the car off and
>> > restarting it corrects the problem.
>> > So...logically in the same situration and it happened to me my
>> > reaction would not be to burn out my brakes
>> > but turn the engine off momentarily. even if it took a few seconds
>> > there would be no problem controlling
>> > the car for that short period.

>> I may have done that once, but the memory of that particular instance
>> (the third time it happened, on I-15) is not clear. That's what I'll do
>> next time now that I know the steering wheel won't lock when the car is
>> in neutral with the engine off
>>
>> There had better not be a next time.

> Have you noted http://car-and-safety.com/cadillac-v...se-control.htm
> ?

Somebody suggested similar. I see reports of problems, but no solutions.

> My wild speculation would be the wiring to the speed control sensor.
> Doesn't matter how many times you change the sensor if its the
> wiring. It could be anywhere in the harness, too much resisitance
> coupled with a voltage drop from some unrelated thing turning on (do
> you have air suspension?) and wee wee wee all the way home.

The guy suggested that it might be a computer crash -- turning the
engine back on resets everything and loses the error codes. He's going
to try getting it hot and then tapping the computer -- if he can get it
to crash then he can read out the codes.

I haven't used the cruise control ever -- it stopped working before I
started driving the car in 2007. He said he'd disconnect it. It would
be really ****ty if that was the problem.

> Dang, I was considering an old Eldo when I shift cars in a few
> months. Electrical gremlins are the worst.

The first time I heard of the 'electronic throttle' concept I was
horrified. Triply horrified to find that I HAVE ONE.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."

Old October 8th 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-10-08, The Real Bev > wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 09:40 AM, jgar the jorrible wrote:

>>> I may have done that once, but the memory of that particular instance
>>> (the third time it happened, on I-15) is not clear. That's what I'll do
>>> next time now that I know the steering wheel won't lock when the car is
>>> in neutral with the engine off
>>>
>>> There had better not be a next time.

>> Have you noted http://car-and-safety.com/cadillac-v...se-control.htm
>> ?

> Somebody suggested similar. I see reports of problems, but no solutions.
>
>> My wild speculation would be the wiring to the speed control sensor.
>> Doesn't matter how many times you change the sensor if its the
>> wiring. It could be anywhere in the harness, too much resisitance
>> coupled with a voltage drop from some unrelated thing turning on (do
>> you have air suspension?) and wee wee wee all the way home.

> The guy suggested that it might be a computer crash -- turning the
> engine back on resets everything and loses the error codes. He's going
> to try getting it hot and then tapping the computer -- if he can get it
> to crash then he can read out the codes.
>
> I haven't used the cruise control ever -- it stopped working before I
> started driving the car in 2007. He said he'd disconnect it. It would
> be really ****ty if that was the problem.
>
>> Dang, I was considering an old Eldo when I shift cars in a few
>> months. Electrical gremlins are the worst.

> The first time I heard of the 'electronic throttle' concept I was
> horrified. Triply horrified to find that I HAVE ONE.

In an '88 it's not likely by wire. It may have some oddities and
complexities for 'feel' but I'd gather the main throttle control is by
cable. Photos google is returning show a simple cable set up throttle
body.

Old October 9th 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
jgar the jorrible

On Oct 8, 2:55*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2012-10-08, The Real Bev > wrote:

> >> Have you notedhttp://car-and-safety.com/cadillac-vehicle-speed-control-cruise-contr...
> >> ?

> > Somebody suggested similar. *I see reports of problems, but no solutions.

> >> My wild speculation would be the wiring to the speed control sensor.
> >> Doesn't matter how many times you change the sensor if its the
> >> wiring. *It could be anywhere in the harness, too much resisitance
> >> coupled with a voltage drop from some unrelated thing turning on (do
> >> you have air suspension?) and wee wee wee all the way home.

> > The guy suggested that it might be a computer crash -- turning the
> > engine back on resets everything and loses the error codes. *He's going
> > to try getting it hot and then tapping the computer -- if he can get it
> > to crash then he can read out the codes.

> > I haven't used the cruise control ever -- it stopped working before I
> > started driving the car in 2007. *He said he'd disconnect it. *It would
> > be really ****ty if that was the problem.

> >> Dang, I was considering an old Eldo when I shift cars in a few
> >> months. *Electrical gremlins are the worst.

> > The first time I heard of the 'electronic throttle' concept I was
> > horrified. *Triply horrified to find that I HAVE ONE.

> In an '88 it's not likely by wire. It may have some oddities and
> complexities for 'feel' but I'd gather the main throttle control is by
> cable. Photos google is returning show a simple cable set up throttle
> body.

Hmm, according to http://www.assemblymag.com/articles/...akes-on-copper
Delphi used some aluminum wire in the '80s - non-working cruise plus
corroding brake light wiring =... ??? (remember, touching the brakes
turns off the cruise, if it isn't "working" you wouldn't know it is on
or if it confuses off with on...). More simply, couldn't a messed up
cruise simply randomly accelerate? Yes, ****ty fail mode, for sure,
and no one would ever admit it is possible.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Welcome Your Space Brothers
Old October 9th 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Harry K wrote:

[snip]

> Let's see. In prior cases you discovered that turning the car off and
> restarting it corrects the problem.
> So...logically in the same situration and it happened to me my
> reaction would not be to burn out my brakes
> but turn the engine off momentarily.

That's also a good way to remove an unwanted catalytic converter. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?

Old October 9th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Paul D. DeRocco

On 10/9/2012 11:17 AM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> Harry K wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Let's see. In prior cases you discovered that turning the car off and
>> restarting it corrects the problem.
>> So...logically in the same situration and it happened to me my
>> reaction would not be to burn out my brakes
>> but turn the engine off momentarily.

> That's also a good way to remove an unwanted catalytic converter. ;-)

I don't think that's true in fuel-injected cars, is it? I expect they're
smart enough not to spew fuel into an engine whose ignition is off.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto