They walk among us...again

Old August 30th 12, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

Default They walk among us...again

Recent clip on evening news. Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver
on phone with dispatch. Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120
passing cars on the shouilder etc. Dispatch finally tells her to pull
up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!

Neat trick. I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at
120 on my best day.

Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
STUPID!

Harry K
Old August 30th 12, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 8/29/2012 11:11 PM, Harry K wrote:
> Recent clip on evening news. Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver
> on phone with dispatch. Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120
> passing cars on the shouilder etc. Dispatch finally tells her to pull
> up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!
>
> Neat trick. I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at
> 120 on my best day.
>
> Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
> STUPID!

Link to the article:

http://www.kltv.com/story/19398575/v...tor-on-highway

Old August 30th 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_8_]

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:53:40 AM UTC-4, richard wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:11:47 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
>

> > Recent clip on evening news. Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver

> > on phone with dispatch. Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120

> > passing cars on the shouilder etc. Dispatch finally tells her to pull

> > up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!

> > Neat trick. I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at

> > 120 on my best day.

> > Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,

> > STUPID!

> > Harry K

> Your solution is not possible in today's cars.

archived.

> Many cars today can not simply turn off the engine while in gear.
>
> It may be possible though to shift into neutral.
>
> And by turning off the engine, how then do you have breaks (sic)
>
> let alone steering?

I've had car engines shutdown while the car is in motion. You still have brakes and steering. They require a lot more effort with out the power assist - actually most power brake systems will still have some of the boost effect available for one more application of the brakes to stop the car - but a person with reasonable strength and sufficient motivation can steer the car and bring it to a safe stop.
Old August 30th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Aug 30, 7:53*am, richard > wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:11:47 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
> > Recent clip on evening news. *Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver
> > on phone with dispatch. *Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120
> > passing cars on the shouilder etc. *Dispatch finally tells her to pull
> > up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!

> > Neat trick. *I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at
> > 120 on my best day.

> > Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
> > STUPID!

> > Harry K

> Your solution is not possible in today's cars.
> Many cars today can not simply turn off the engine while in gear.
> It may be possible though to shift into neutral.
> And by turning off the engine, how then do you have breaks let alone
> steering?

Cite for _any_ car that cannot be turned off in gear.

Hey stupid, you still have brakes and steering without the engine
running. Stiff and hard but theyh are still there.

Harry K
Old August 30th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Aug 30, 7:53*am, richard > wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:11:47 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
> > Recent clip on evening news. *Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver
> > on phone with dispatch. *Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120
> > passing cars on the shouilder etc. *Dispatch finally tells her to pull
> > up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!

> > Neat trick. *I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at
> > 120 on my best day.

> > Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
> > STUPID!

> > Harry K

> Your solution is not possible in today's cars.
> Many cars today can not simply turn off the engine while in gear.
> It may be possible though to shift into neutral.
> And by turning off the engine, how then do you have breaks let alone
> steering?

As for steering - at highway speeds loss of power steering is barely
noticeable - only slightly harder to turn than with PS.

Harry K
Old August 30th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Harry K wrote:

> On Aug 30, 7:53Â*am, richard > wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:11:47 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
>> > Recent clip on evening news. Â*Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver
>> > on phone with dispatch. Â*Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120
>> > passing cars on the shouilder etc. Â*Dispatch finally tells her to pull
>> > up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!

>> > Neat trick. Â*I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at
>> > 120 on my best day.

>> > Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
>> > STUPID!

>> > Harry K

>> Your solution is not possible in today's cars.
>> Many cars today can not simply turn off the engine while in gear.
>> It may be possible though to shift into neutral.
>> And by turning off the engine, how then do you have breaks let alone
>> steering?

> As for steering - at highway speeds loss of power steering is barely
> noticeable - only slightly harder to turn than with PS.

When you tell some people to 'turn it off' they crank the key all the way
over to the steering lock position (if possible).

Since you (the dispatcher) have no way of knowing what sort of interlocks a
particular car has (one of mine won't go to the steering lock position
unless its in park), telling someone to turn it off is a bad idea.

Neutral is the safest bet. I've never heard of a car that can't be shifted
into neutral while underway.

--
Paul Hovnanian
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you,

Old September 2nd 12, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John David Galt

On 2012-08-29 20:11, Harry K wrote:
> Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
> STUPID!

Turning off most cars locks the steering wheel.
Old September 2nd 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Sep 1, 7:10*pm, John David Galt >
wrote:
> On 2012-08-29 20:11, Harry K wrote:
>
> > Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
> > STUPID!

> Turning off most cars locks the steering wheel.

Onlhy if one is an idiot and even if it did it is better than a
"runaway car". My current car (2005 ford) cannot be turned to thelock
position while the tranny is in a 'gear' position.

Harry K
Old September 2nd 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 8/30/2012 1:42 PM, Harry K wrote:
> On Aug 30, 7:53�am, richard > wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:11:47 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
>>> Recent clip on evening news. �Runaway car with stuck gas pedel, driver
>>> on phone with dispatch. �Goes on for a long time and she reaches 120
>>> passing cars on the shouilder etc. �Dispatch finally tells her to pull
>>> up on the gas pedal and step on brake at same time!!!

>>> Neat trick. �I couldn't reach my gas pedal an still control the car at
>>> 120 on my best day.

>>> Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
>>> STUPID!

>>> Harry K

>> Your solution is not possible in today's cars.
>> Many cars today can not simply turn off the engine while in gear.
>> It may be possible though to shift into neutral.
>> And by turning off the engine, how then do you have breaks let alone
>> steering?

> Cite for _any_ car that cannot be turned off in gear.
>
> Hey stupid, you still have brakes and steering without the engine
> running. Stiff and hard but theyh are still there.
>
> Harry K

I drove a 1972 Oldmobile (sic) with a broken power steering pump on a
couple of occasions. Fine at highway speeds, but doing a low speed turn
was like lifting weights at the gym.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old September 2nd 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 9/1/2012 10:41 PM, Harry K wrote:
> On Sep 1, 7:10�pm, John David Galt >
> wrote:
>> On 2012-08-29 20:11, Harry K wrote:
>>
>>> Neither of the morons thought of the simple solution TURN IT OFF,
>>> STUPID!

>> Turning off most cars locks the steering wheel.

> Onlhy if one is an idiot and even if it did it is better than a
> "runaway car". My current car (2005 ford) cannot be turned to thelock
> position while the tranny is in a 'gear' position.

Why don't cars have an emergency kill switch like motorcycles do?

(At least recent motorcycles - I don't care about your 60-year old H-D
lacking one.)

TIME WALK blacklight[_2_] 4x4 0 January 31st 10 12:00 AM
Don't Walk Goddammit!! necromancer[_1_] Driving 0 September 7th 06 11:16 PM
Don't Walk Goddammit!! morticide Driving 0 September 7th 06 04:59 PM
try not to walk a candle [email protected] General 0 January 14th 05 08:54 PM
Please Do Not Walk Into A Supermarket Until You Read This! [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 27th 04 02:43 AM