Why are gas caps on the driver's side of some cars but the passenger's side of others?

Old March 31st 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Why are gas caps on the driver's side of some cars but the passenger's side of others?

..

Suppose fuel tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers
would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill
their tanks.

During busy times, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled
even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.

Putting petrol caps on different sides of different cars means that some
cars can access pumps from the left. And this makes it less likely that
drivers will have to queue for fuel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...in_article_id=
548730&in_page_id=1879
Old March 31st 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Studemania

On Mar 30, 8:19*pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>

> > .

> > Suppose fuel tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers
> > would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill
> > their tanks.

> > During busy times, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled
> > even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.

> > Putting petrol caps on different sides of different cars means that some
> > cars can access pumps from the left. And this makes it less likely that
> > drivers will have to queue for fuel.

> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...in_article_id=
> > 548730&in_page_id=1879

> Gas (petrol) caps are usually located on the opposite side from the
> tailpipe.
>
> I have yet to see a gas pump hose that couldn't reach across a car
> (trucks are a different case).
>
> --
> Paul Hovnanian * *
> Don't upset me! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.- Hide quoted text -

I wish that the tank gauge on the instrument panel was on the same
side of the filler.
Old March 31st 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
necromancer[_4_]

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:19:58 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
> wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>>
>> .
>>
>> Suppose fuel tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers
>> would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill
>> their tanks.
>>
>> During busy times, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled
>> even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.
>>
>> Putting petrol caps on different sides of different cars means that some
>> cars can access pumps from the left. And this makes it less likely that
>> drivers will have to queue for fuel.
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...in_article_id=
>> 548730&in_page_id=1879

>Gas (petrol) caps are usually located on the opposite side from the
>tailpipe.
>
>I have yet to see a gas pump hose that couldn't reach across a car
>(trucks are a different case).

And (atleast in the US), gas pumps have handles on both sides of the
pump or atleast the pump can be accessed from both sides. I fail to
see what the OP is whining about.....

--
Aunt Judy defends a known *drunk driver*:

"Almost all vehicle 'accidents' are due to driver
recklessness but the Chappaquidick incident is one
instance where it may really have been no ones
fault except the idiot who built the bridge."
--"Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend,"
(currently known as Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS) 11/10/2005
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/9jtjt
Msg ID:
Old March 31st 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Old March 31st 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, necromancer wrote:

>And (atleast in the US), gas pumps have handles on both sides of the
>pump or atleast the pump can be accessed from both sides. I fail to
>see what the OP is whining about.....

who knows? The troll just posts for replies. I prefer the center of the
back of the car for the filling location. Pull up to any pump without
concern as to which side it's on.

Probably a combination of fire protection and tanks under the rear seat
is why that location isn't used any longer.

Old March 31st 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

On Mar 30, 10:22 pm, (Brent P)

> who knows? The troll just posts for replies. I prefer the center of the
> back of the car for the filling location. Pull up to any pump without
> concern as to which side it's on.
>
> Probably a combination of fire protection and tanks under the rear seat
> is why that location isn't used any longer.

Too many rear-end collisions is why, you hatefilled numbskull.

Old March 31st 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Clave

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
message .70...

> .
>
> Suppose fuel tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers
> would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill
> their tanks.
>
> During busy times, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled
> even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.
>
> Putting petrol caps on different sides of different cars means that some
> cars can access pumps from the left. And this makes it less likely that
> drivers will have to queue for fuel.

Right. All gas stations have only one entrance and exit.

This is the stupidest thing you've posted in months.

Jim

Old March 31st 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom
Bobby Knight

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:46:27 -0700, "Clave"
> wrote:

>"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
>message .70...
>>

>> .
>>
>> Suppose fuel tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers
>> would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill
>> their tanks.
>>
>> During busy times, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled
>> even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.
>>
>> Putting petrol caps on different sides of different cars means that some
>> cars can access pumps from the left. And this makes it less likely that
>> drivers will have to queue for fuel.

>Right. All gas stations have only one entrance and exit.
>
>This is the stupidest thing you've posted in months.
>
>Jim

Yep...and that's saying something. There's nothing between those
ears.
--
___,
\o

/ \
Old March 31st 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Larry Bud

On Mar 31, 1:40*am, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> On Mar 30, 10:22 pm, (Brent P)
>

> > who knows? The troll just posts for replies. I prefer the center of the
> > back of the car for the filling location. Pull up to any pump without
> > concern as to which side it's on.

> > Probably a combination of fire protection and tanks under the rear seat
> > is why that location isn't used any longer.

> Too many rear-end collisions is why, you hatefilled numbskull.

Many caused by your love affair with red light cameras.
Old March 31st 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.economics,alt.wisdom,rec.sport.golf
Larry Bud

On Mar 30, 10:36*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> .
>
> Suppose fuel tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers
> would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill
> their tanks.

Here's one that will scramble the two neurons left in your brain: My
gas cap in the CENTER above the license plate.

> During busy times, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled
> even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.

Oh my God, I may have given you too much credit thinking you had 2
neurons left...