They walk among us...again

Old September 8th 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

Default They walk among us...again

On Sep 7, 5:13*pm, gpsman > wrote:
> On Sep 4, 11:50*pm, Harry K > wrote:
>
> > When did Plymouth finally give up on
> > that asinine backwards thread on the
> > right side of the cars? *I had a 72 Valiant that a stupid tire shop
> > ruined one hub trying to remove a wheel the wrong way..
> > I assume it was alos the same on Chrysler, Dodge, etc from that
> > company.

> I think every US manufacturer featured R-side L-hand thread wheel
> studs at one time or another.
> *-----
>
> - gpsman

It did make some sense for cars with wheels held on by jusst one
central hub (knock offs). I could never see any reason atall for it
one cars with multiple lug nuts/bolts.

Harry K
Old September 10th 12, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

AsthonC:
"the brakes, and the fact that they seemed to work normally for the cop
makes me think she had not even tried hard braking to get the SUV
stopped and that she never fully applied the emergency brake. *From my
armchair I'd have to chalk this up to *basic stupidity on the part of
the woman - she shouldn't need to be told to pull up on the pedal and "

I keep saying it to the wall: "Women & SUVs do NOT mix".

Old September 13th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:47:42 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
> wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:11:34 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>>
>>>[snip]

>>>How old is the car? What was the applicable federal standard at the time?
>>>
>>>Not questions I'd like to ask with a panic'd driver on the phone.

>> The car for this thread was nearly new from the looks of it in the
>> video. The standard has been around since the late sixties.

>I don't think so. I had an early '80s Chevette (company car) with an A/T. I
>had the alternator mounting bracket break free while driving (big noise
>with the alternator banging around loose in the engine compartment.
>
>I popped it into neutral and cranked the key all the way off. The steering
>locked (while I was still doing about 20 MPH and I veered off the road into
>a field before I could get the steering unlocked again.

The standard started in 1969 I believe, or soon after. For sure
anything in the 80's had the interlock. If the chevette had power
steering it might have seemed like it was locked.

TIME WALK blacklight[_2_] 4x4 0 January 31st 10 12:00 AM
Don't Walk Goddammit!! necromancer[_1_] Driving 0 September 7th 06 11:16 PM
Don't Walk Goddammit!! morticide Driving 0 September 7th 06 04:59 PM
try not to walk a candle [email protected] General 0 January 14th 05 08:54 PM
Please Do Not Walk Into A Supermarket Until You Read This! [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 27th 04 02:43 AM