C4 trans problems

Old January 6th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ron[_3_]

Default C4 trans problems

HI all,
Hoping I can get a little help here. I have a 73 Bronco rebuilt 302
and C4 with about 2000 miles on both. Got in it yesterday and noticed
my kid probably had moved the transfer case shifter. I moved it back
to 2wd backed out of the garage. When I put trans into park there was
slight grinding noise (veh was stopped). With transmission is park
position, it coasted down the driveway as if it were in neutral. The
linkage looks good, the gear (oem column) selector moves freely. I
checked the bottom of the linkage where it connects to the
transmission, looks good hasn't slipped. I also put the transfer case
into 4wd with the hubs locked, drove it around forward and backward,
still no change. Trans seems to work and shift normally when I drove
it around, although I didn't drive it far. Any help suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. I'll probably head over to the transmission
shop that built it (I'm out of warranty now because of time) after the
weekend.

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Nothern CA

Old January 6th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

A similar thing happened to me in '86. I had just finished restoring a '73
Ranchero, went to my GF's house and forgot something. Went back out to the
Ranchero and it was GONE! After pacing in disbelief, I saw that it had
rolled backwards out of the driveway, down a hill, and was gently stopped by
a bush in someone's front yard. If it wasn't for that bush, it would have
been in their kitchen.
Anyway, check your linkage to the tranny, that's what was wrong with mine. I
adjusted it and never had it slip out again (however, ever since to this day
I set the emergency brake when I park on a hill, even in my new Tundra).
I'm dropping a 351C and FMX in a '72 mach1 next Saturday and I guarantee
I'll be triple checking the linkage before the wheels touch the ground!!!
Dave

ups.com...

Old January 6th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

The more that I think about it, the more I'm certain that it's your linkage.
If your kid was in there playing "driver", chances are he might have been
jerking the shift lever back and forth.
If the linkage nut at the trans was loose even a little bit, it probably
moved a little.

Let us know what you find.
Dave

"ron" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> HI all,
> Hoping I can get a little help here. I have a 73 Bronco rebuilt 302
> and C4 with about 2000 miles on both. Got in it yesterday and noticed
> my kid probably had moved the transfer case shifter. I moved it back
> to 2wd backed out of the garage. When I put trans into park there was
> slight grinding noise (veh was stopped). With transmission is park
> position, it coasted down the driveway as if it were in neutral. The
> linkage looks good, the gear (oem column) selector moves freely. I
> checked the bottom of the linkage where it connects to the
> transmission, looks good hasn't slipped. I also put the transfer case
> into 4wd with the hubs locked, drove it around forward and backward,
> still no change. Trans seems to work and shift normally when I drove
> it around, although I didn't drive it far. Any help suggestions would
> be greatly appreciated. I'll probably head over to the transmission
> shop that built it (I'm out of warranty now because of time) after the
> weekend.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ron
> Nothern CA

97 Jeep GCL - Trans shifting problems nameless 4x4 1 April 18th 05 02:00 AM
97 Jeep GCL - Trans shifting problems nameless Jeep 2 April 18th 05 02:00 AM
91 Spirit Trans Problem Tank U Dodge 0 November 20th 04 02:03 PM
95 sl2 auto trans broken Dave V Saturn 1 August 27th 04 09:14 PM